We're All Just Pawns

"See you later alligator."

And just like that Reid and I were back to not speaking. I tried starting conversations with him, but nothing worked. I put on my tightest pair of jeans and my tightest sweater on the day I decided to make something happen. It seemed that the only thing that truly got him going was jealousy, so I decided to try that again. I called Morgan over to where I was standing with a box of files in my arms. “Could you carry these to Hotch for me? I’m about to drop it.” As soon as he lifted it, I giggled. “I knew those muscles were good for something,” a light blush spread across his cheeks. I hated to play it this way, but I wanted to get something out of him. I flirted endlessly with Morgan all day. It had to have been obvious; at least I hoped so, because that’s what I wanted. I wanted Spencer to get jealous and come whisk me away from Derek. But he didn’t.

I twirled the pasta around my fork endlessly before I decided to ask my aunt for help. “So there’s this boy,” I began, but was quickly cut off. She smiled so proudly, “I knew it,” she said with a mouthful. “He’s not in high school, a little bit older than me. And I just don’t know how to act. I’m still so innocent,” she cut me off again by saying, “Thank God.” I turned partially away from her. “He is too, or so he says. But I still feel like a baby around him.” Aunt P swallowed hard and closed her eyes. “Please tell me it’s not Morgan.” I spit a bite of pasta back into my bowl. “God no; I will admit, I was trying to flirt with him today, just to see if I was any good. I don’t really have anyone else to practice on,” I blushed from the lie, but I knew she thought it was just embarrassment. “I’ll be sure to let him know. He told me he was concerned, and thought maybe he should talk to you about how inappropriate that would be.” The heat in my face became near unbearable. She laughed a few more times at my expense before walking our bowls to the sink. “I don’t really have any advice I can give you in this Lifetime Movie moment we’re having here. Just please, stay safe, for my sake.” I was at my boiling point of embarrassment by the time I grumbled an excuse me and left the kitchen.

My aunt explained the situation to Morgan right away (I know because I listened while she was on the phone) who told her to relay that, and I quote, “She can flirt with me anytime if it’s just for practice.” The thought of it being almost okay for me to flirt with a man over the age of thirty was kind of exciting. I realize all of those almosts and kind ofs is peculiar, but I can’t really describe it any other way. That night I dug around in a few boxes for my old school uniform and sewing kit from home-ec the previous semester. With a few alterations, there was a possibility that I could look sexy tomorrow for work.

Penelope began the cat calls when I stepped out from my ‘room.’ I think I actually deserved them though. I took a full three inches off the skirt, and I added some cute patches to my jacket. I had on the same button up I’d always worn with it and the same knee high socks. But somehow, this felt different. I was wearing ballerina flats and looking like someone’s cute Barbie doll. “Do I look okay?” I nibbled on my bottom lip as I used a headband to push back my hair. “You’re smokin’, and as your authority figure I feel the urge to tell you to put some pants on. But I’m so jealous I didn’t think of this outfit first that I’m going to let you wear it.” I smiled huge and hugged her briefly before bounding out the door towards her small, fuel-efficient car.

Heads turned when I walked down the halls of Quantico. I felt twenty-six instead of sixteen, and it felt great for once. JJ and Prentiss twirled me around, and once my aunt had bragged about my handy stitch work, they begged me to do some things for them. I nodded and promised to do it whenever they figured out what they wanted done. Morgan whistled for me and I blushed, just as bad as when my aunt had thought I had a crush on him. “You look just as beautiful as your aunt over here.” She kissed his cheek and walked right past him. “I’m free to help with whatever. I’m ahead on my homework.” Everyone assured me they’d have things for me to do in about half an hour, once things got sorted out for the morning. I went into the break room and started to fix a bagel. I had to keep reminding myself of how short the skirt was. I was squatting down, and shuffling things around in the fridge to find my strawberry cream cheese when Spencer snuck up behind me. “You, uh, look, uh, nice.” I stood on the balls of my feet and twisted around so my skirt would swish. “You think so?” He nodded, and my eyes focused in on how his Adam’s apple was bobbing when he swallowed nervously. “It was my uniform back home. Well it was longer then, but still not as bad as it could have been I guess.” Someone called my name and I smiled to Reid, “See you later alligator,” I said and wiggled my fingers behind me and skipped away.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter and then...-sticks tongue out- :(