Status: Active

All That Glitters

Covetous

I eyed my brother from the corner of my eye, trying desperately to keep myself from punching him in the face as he flirted with Nadia. I took large gulps of water out of the bottle trying to keep my cool. I watched his hands slide into the groove of her waist and then down to the swell of her hip. I watched a big smile stun her face as she looked back at him, apparently laughing at the joke he told. A pair of hands tenderly gripped my shoulder.

"Aren't they cute?" My mother gushed. My eyes narrowed as Nadia's slender hands creeped up Nick's face to grab his hair pulling him down to taste him. My jaw dropped as I turned around to look at my mother.

"You don't care?" I questioned incredulously.

"Why would I? Nadia is a sweetheart and Nick really likes her. There's nothing to be concerned about," She said, squeezing my shoulders a bit and walking out of the room. Nick escaped upstairs, kissing her once more before climbing to the top. I watched him go up before moving over to Nadia.

"So..." I began, taking another sip of my water. "You an-you and Nick huh?" I asked, looking at her, struggling to get the words out of my mouth. I watched her as she laughed, punching a few keys on the pad of her Blackberry before putting it in her back pocket and nodding her head, her hair shining in the lighting of the house.

"Yeah, me and Nick," She spoke.

"Wha-"

"Do you have a lot of concern for your brother?" She asked me. I was taken aback a first, because a) Duh! Nick is my little brother, I've saved his life many of times, why wouldn't I care? b) What the hell kind of question is that? She has siblings, she understands.

"Of course," I said. "Why?"

"It would explain the glare you had on your face while you were watching Nick and I," She said simply, walking out of the foyer and into the living room where no one was currently situated. I got a little nervous, I never saw her glance at me.

"Don't flatter yourself, I wasn't staring," I said smoothly, hoping to divert her attention from me. She quickly turned her head to look at me, a puzzled expression on her face as she inched closer to me.

"Liars burn in Hell Joseph, plus I heard Denise when she came to talk to you," She said, walking out of the living room and back to the foyer and then out of the door. I followed, entertained by her knowledge and desperate to prove that my eyes were no where near her body.

"Anyways," She said, moving over as I shut the door behind me and stood on the porch along side her. "Nick and I are together courtesy of Mr and Mrs. Joe Jonas, so you shouldn't be too worried," She pulled out a cigarette from a case in her front pocket putting it to her lips before looking at me once again.

"I had nothing to do with that." I lied, lighting her cigarette for her to my dismay.

She chuckled, blowing smoke away from my face.

"Cute, me and Naomi hate each other, why the fuck would she call me and invite me to dinner with another guest that just happened to be your sibling? I wasn't born yesterday," She said, taking another big huff of the cigarette. I looked at her, disgusted by the cigarette before pulling it out of her mouth and crushing it on the ground with my boot.

"Those will kill you," I said sternly.

"So will everything else. You can choke while eating a turkey." She said, turning back to go in the house. I don't know what took over me, but I didn't want her to leave. We weren't finished talking, or at least I wasn't. I liked the small game of cat and mouse she played with me, something Naomi stopped doing as soon as I got a date with her. I circled my arm around her waist, holding her back from going inside.

"Listen Nadia, if you do anything to Nick..." I started, she immediately pulled out of my grasp.

"What are you trying to protect his virginal reputation?"

"No, I'm trying to protect yours," I said, knowing if she hurt Nick, all hell would break loose within the family and Naomi and I would get a lot of the heat.

She laughed, that devilish laugh of hers before placing her hand on the doorknob once again.

"I haven't been a virgin since I was 13, and believe me, Nick and I will be together a while." She closed the door and I stood shocked as the door slammed in my face.

She really was bad news.