Status: working on when I can. :)

Hide & Seek

Go To Jail Free Card

I was standing in a forest. There was no sun shining through the treetops, no light. I could barely see through the fog. It swirled as I took a step forward. A twig snapped behind me. I turned around in the direction of it, trying my best to look for the source.

Nothing.

I took a step backwards, only to get my foot stuck in between two rocks. I groaned at this, cursing my luck with nature, and pulled it it to dislodge my ankle. I ended up cutting it instead, against the sharp edge.

A muttered curse left my lips.

There was a sting, but it was nothing compared to when I broke my leg in three places. The
Bone-Mend couldn't even fix it as quickly as it could. I gripped onto my pants leg, pulling at my foot. It finally budged. I stumbled backwards a bit but caught my balance.

But it was already too late. The scent of blood was already floating in the air...

"NO! COPPER!" I heard someone scream, and then a flash of white blurred my gaze and-


"Copper Ophelia Acres, get out of that bed this instant or I swear to God I will get a bucket of water." I could hear a loud shrill ring in the background of the voice. It was my mom, and my alarm clock.

And it was the first day of my senior year of highschool.

I simply opened one of my green eyes, my dream quickly forgotten. I didn't want to get up. Mom had had me busy the whole two weeks before school to help her get everything unpacked and put up, and I say everything, I mean everything. She was even tempted to get put up a few flyers about the rooms in the rest of the house being for rent.

I talked her out of it, of course.

The rest of the time was spent getting to know the area, including the barely-existent Indian reserve only a few miles away - La Push, it was called. Mom had become friends with some of the locals. And since the reserve was so small, the teens there would also be going to Forks. At least I knew a few people.

"I'm up, I'm up." Mom only rolled her eyes and walked away.

"Breakfast is getting cold." I jumped up after she said that. Mom's pancakes and omelets were heaven on earth - literally.

After I stuffed the food down my throat, I took the Porsche's key from mom. "Thanks for the 'go to jail free' card, mom." She only laughed and pushed me toward the garage. I waved a 'good bye' and closed the door. I knew she would be up in her new study for the whole day working on her new novel.

The ride to my new highschool didn't last very long. I was sort of hoping that it would taker longer. I hated being the new kid.

My canary yellow 2000-something Porsche stood out like a cheerleader at a goth convention. I hated standing out. I liked to just fade in. The year went by quicker that way.

I turned the antique car off and looked at all the students staring at me. I gave a sighed and pulled my book bag from the passenger seat and opened the door, stepping out onto the wet concrete.

Almost all eyes were on me.

"Your ride is SICK!" someone yelled from behind me, but I only waved it off and disappeared into the building labeled "Main Office".

I entered the office to get my schedule and such necessities. While the secretary dug around in piles of paper, I looked around, noticing a bunch of old trophies and school photos.

"Ah! Here we go! Cooper Acres!"

I cringed slightly at the mispronunciation of my name, "It's Copper, miss."

She blinked and pulled her glasses up to her nose. "Oh, right, Copper. Well, here's your block schedule and a map of the campus," she handed me both pieces of paper. "And here's your lunch card," next was the piece of plastic that gave me the right to eat lunch. "And your hall pass," then was a small electronic device that the teachers used to let me go to the bathroom, to another teacher's room or to the library (which I would highly doubt ever happening).

"Boy, we've had a shuttle-load of new students this year, not counting the freshmen. A whole family of students came in this morning just before you, juniors and seniors. All adopted teenagers... last names were Swan, Mason, and Dwyer. Have you heard of them?" she asked.

I had no idea why she was asking me, a new student also. "No ma'am, I haven't really been around Forks long enough to really know anyone." Not a lie, but not the full truth.

"Oh, right, what was I thinking? Go on! You don't want to be late. Enjoy your first day at Forks High." She gave me a large smile, I could see the lipstick on her tooth, and winked at me. I tried my hardest not to cringe.

For ten minutes, after the bell for school to begin had rung, I was running through the halls trying to find my first block of the day - AP Honors English. Sue me, I'm a book worm.

As I turned a corner, trying to find me class, I ran into someone... Either they were really big or we had both been walking very fast and the momentum was very large.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry!" I said trying to reach for my things. Well, the person couldn't have been very big since she was a very thin, pale girl. Maybe I was walking a bit fast...

"It's alright, I wasn't looking of where I was going anyways." She smiled at me, her bright white teeth almost like the sun. "I'm taking it you're new?"

I gave an embarrassed half-smile and nodded. "How'd you guess?"

Her, surprisingly, butterscotch eyes seemed to burn into my emerald green ones. "Well, you have a map and, like me, have no idea of where anything is in this blasted school." She was still smiling.

"Well then, I'm going to guess that you're new also?"

She lifted up her right hand, "Guilty as charged."

I couldn't help but giggle at that. I never giggle.

"So, may I ask where you are headed?"

"AP Honors English. And I have no idea where I'm headed."

"Fellow literature junky," she nodded at her assumption.

My smile widened. "You'll never kind me without a book to read or my iNote to type my own stories up on."

Her smile seemed to expand, if that was even possible. "Would you call me a fanatic if I told you I had Wuthering Heights in my bag right now?"

"Would you call me a fanatic if I told you I had Midsummer Night's Dream and The Scarlet Letter in my book bag right now?"

"Fanatic," she said with a laugh, defeated - it was like a little bell.

Footsteps echoed down the hall, the Matron was out and about. That was our cue.

"Um, well I guess I'll see you around..."

"Renesmee. Renesmee Mason, but you can call me Nessie."

"Nessie." I repeated with a nod and a smile.

Another paper slipped from my hands, and I reached down to grab it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Copper." I snapped my head up at this. I never told her my name... did I? I was bewildered - she was no where to be seen. Like she had just vanished out of thin air.

"You!" the Matron yelled from down the hall. She obviously didn't like people in her halls. "You're supposed to be in class!"

"Uh, yes ma'am, but I'm new and I can't seem to find my class and-" I didn't really have time to explain before she grabbed my schedule and pushed out through the halls.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't you just love me? Yes, yes, i know. My update is a bit late, but it's an update none the less! Thank you all those who commented and subscribed. I'm very happy that you all like the story so far. :)

-the orange.

PS. If there are any errors I apologize. I didn't see them.