Patrick Kane and Me

Caught in the Middle

I’ve been dating Jon for about 3 months now and everything has been great between the two of us. I come to practice and read my book in the stands since this is all normal for me. I come to all the games, like usual, but now I get to wear a 19 jersey instead of an 88 jersey. Pat was jealous the first time I wore it though. He didn’t say, but I knew any way.

Pat is the jealous type. He says he isn’t but I know he is. He can’t keep his emotions to himself. When he’s mad he shows it with his face and his body language. When he’s sad, he’s quiet, and when he’s happy he’s loud and obnoxious. So when we told him that we were dating he took a deep breath and plastered his smile on his face and told me he was happy for us. I rolled my eyes at him; if he liked me then he would’ve grown a pair and
asked me out before Jon did! Sometimes Pat get’s on my nerves.

Today we were walking hand and hand through the arena after practice, the boys still had those red marks on their forehead their helmets and I felt like the odd ball because of it. We went to lunch and later Jon dropped me off at me and Pat’s apartment, and of course he was grumpy.

“What’s got your panties in a bunch Mr. Kane?” I asked him, I was going to figure out his problem if it killed me. “Nothing Nat, I had a bad practice that’s all.” He said trying to drop this conversation. “Liar, you had a great practice I watched you, you were the first one that scored in the shootout at the end of practice and during the scrimmage you did great. Something’s wrong with you and it doesn’t have to do with hockey.” He stopped and looked at me, “You want to know what’s wrong, Natalie?” His voice was getting louder as he came closer to me. “The thing is that Captain Serious can get a great girl and—,”

Here it is, the moment I’ve been waiting for. The day that he says he’s in love with me and wants me to break up with Jon so I can fall into his arms like a fairytale. “And I can’t even get a decent one!” Never mind. “Well maybe if you stop being a cocky asshole to girls and actually try being a nice person to them you’ll be able to find a girl!” He’s denying it, go figure. “I am not a cocky asshole to them Nat. Okay let’s see, am I cocky asshole to you?” I had to think about that one for a second, “I’m not sure Pat because the day I met you, you were nice to me. But then later when you became a pro hockey player you thought you could do anything and everyone would worship the ground you walked on. But you still treated me like a decent human being, so no Pat you are not a co—,” I don’t know what went over him at that moment but he kissed me, and I kissed him back. Yes I was cheating on Jon at the moment but none of that ever crossed my mind. All I cared about was Pat and I, and that’s all I wanted.

We finally released and I opened my eyes hoping it was real, and that I didn’t dream it all. And when I did he was still there. He was blushing just as much as I was and he had his smirk on his face grabbing the back of his neck. But then it hit him and his eyes went wide, “Oh shit, Jon! I’m so sorry Natalie, I’m gonna go, I’ll talk to you later.” He walked towards the door, mumbling to himself, “Pat, wait!” But I was too late the door was already slammed in my face.

<3<3<3<3<3

I sat on the couch by myself in a silent apartment. Thinking about what happened earlier. What would happen if Jon found out? What if Pat told him? Do I seriously love Jon or Pat? And why the fuck is this so hard!? I threw a pillow across the room hitting something. “Oops.” Wow today is just not my day is it? I went over to wear the pillow landed and I picked up what it broke. It was a picture of Pat, Jon, and I. I grabbed the pillow, “Of all things this is the one thing you had to break?” OhmyGod I’m talking to a pillow something is definitely wrong with me. I took a deep breath and grabbed a broom and swept up the glass. I remember when that picture was taken too…

”Pat let’s go! We need to get to the rink early today!” I screamed into his bedroom, “Calm down I’m ready. Why do we have to go early today again?” I sighed, “Because Pat you’re having your first commercial shooting with the Hawks, we don’t want to seem like complete douches on our first day working with media.” He rolled his eyes and we were out the door.

We arrived at the rink where there were cameras set up everywhere, “Wow, this is seriously a big thing.” I said to myself. We walked up to someone that looked to be in charge. Pat went up to him and the man directed him where to go. He got changed into his jersey and equipment and was back on the ice in 5 minutes flat. There was another guy there too with Pat who looked to be about the same age as him. When he turned around I saw his last name read Toes? Wow that kid must have been picked on in school.

Anyway they started turning all the lights off and placed a single microphone in front of the blue line and a single spot light on the microphone. Both the boys were in the shadows and I could only see their outlines. Then when the director shouted action I giggled as the boys came out in waist long beards and said, “Our Goal: To grow playoff beards.” And then Toes started cracking up and they skated into the darkness. This lasted for another hour because of bloopers and Pat screwing around. He ended up stroking his beard in one of them and Toes started cracking up again.

Once it was over Pat came and introduced me to Toes. “Nat, this is Jonathan Toews my fellow rookie this year.” He said with his beard still on. Wow Toews? Man was I off. “Hi, I’m Natalie Vaughn, Patrick’s best friend. I’ll be around all the time if you haven’t already guessed.” I said with my usual smile, “And do you mind taking off you’re beards? I cannot take you seriously with them on.” They looked at each other and then back at me. “Nah I think we look good with them on.” Pat said shoving his beard out of the way so he could grab his phone. I rolled my eyes. “Well if you’re going to keep them on we need a picture to remember this moment.” I said taking out my camera. They automatically ripped off their beards.

”Hey I still need my picture boys.” I said. “Lesson #1 about Natalie, she’s obsessed with taking pictures so don’t be afraid if you see a picture of you sleeping somewhere.” Pat said, and he’s completely serious. I asked one of the people around us if they could take a picture of us in front of the Blackhawks emblem. I was in the middle. Jon on my left, and Pat on my right. They were both towering over me just because of their skates but it was okay. This is going to be the start of a beautiful relationship.

I was now in tears. My relationships were being torn apart. I’m losing my best friend and possibly my boyfriend. I was losing my best friend because of my boyfriend and I was losing my boyfriend because of my best friend! What the Hell is this! I went into my bedroom and grabbed a suitcase from under my bed and packed my things including my broken picture. I went on the internet and grabbed a plane ticket back to Buffalo. I can’t take this anymore.

I’m gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been taking so long.. Writer's block is a bitch.. I dont know what i think about this one.. what do you think?