Status: Complete

Dying of the Light

Asher

That was the best part of my life. My only regret is that it ended much too soon. For a few months, things seemed alright. I didn’t show Molly how weak I was getting. I didn’t want her to realize that the end was coming, not yet. Ignorance is bliss, right?

I was getting more and more tired, but there was nothing I could do about it except rest. That was simple enough. We stopped hiking, and we started doing movie marathons. I knew Riley wasn’t fooled, but she didn’t say anything, instead taking it into stride.

But that was only the beginning of it.

I started falling asleep. Molly ignored that, too, and made light jokes about it, but I could see the worry behind her eyes.

I stopped taking her to dinner and inviting her to dinner. I didn’t want her to see that I wasn’t eating. I knew I was getting much too thin.

Really, it was probably for the best that I had her. I didn’t have time to mourn for myself, instead putting all of my remaining energy into keeping her happy while I could. She was the only thing that mattered now, except for my poor mother.

I stopped going to school.

Too soon, I was confined to my bedroom. Molly stopped going to school, too, and she looked like she was the one dying, instead of me. She was a wreck with worry. But she didn’t cry in front of me, not once. She was strong, my Molly.

“Molly, come here,” I whispered one day, scooting over to make room for her on my bed. She lay down next to me and I wrapped around my arms around her and hugged her as close to me as I could manage, squeezing tight. I knew that I was weak. I could feel it. But this, at least, I could give her.

“I love you,” she told me. Finally, finally, she broke down and cried. I cried, too.

“I love you too. I knew this would end badly,” I told her later, after she calmed down. “I told you it was best you didn’t get too close.”

She looked up at me, tears still clinging to her lashes. “Oh, no, Ash. I don’t regret this at all.”

We stayed there, wrapped up in each other for a long time, and I drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I know this one's short.

The next two will be, as well.

And then it will be over.