Status: Complete

Ugly Things

07

First I drove home. The house was quiet, as I expected because my mom was at work, and as I settled on the couch I thought about calling her. I knew she’d be angry that I skipped out early, and even more upset to know the reason why. She’d probably have told me to suck it up and go back.

My phone vibrated before I could get comfortable. I glanced at the screen.

ONE NEW MESSAGE: ARIA.

Hey, are you okay? I came back to apologize and you were gone. Mr. Mills told me that he saw you leave in a hurry. I’m worried. Call me.

I wanted to write back. I wanted to say that I wasn’t okay. I wanted to tell Aria that she was a bitch and even that I was sorry for what I said, too. Instead I erased the message and curled up.

It wasn’t long before my phone vibrated again. Another text. It was probably from Aria. I opened my phone.

I’m home. You can come now - looking forward to seeing you.

Despite how shitty my day had been, I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face at the last sentence. He wanted to see me.

I jumped up and ran into the bathroom. The jeans and shirt I wore were stained with my tears, so I had to find something better. I brushed my hair and pulled it away from my face, letting two strands fall in the front. Then I went to my room.

Finding something to wear was difficult. I wasn’t sure how I should dress. I wondered about wearing a dress but finally decided on a pair of shorts and a tank top since it was so hot out. Before I even left the room, my phone went off again.

Tate, where are you?

I decided I’d tell her where I was going. Maybe then she would back off.

I’m going to see a friend. I’ll text you later.

She replied very quickly.

Which friend?

No one you know.


Her response was one word. It made me feel bad.

Teacher?

I sighed, texted Elias and told him I couldn’t make it, then texted Aria back.

No. But I’m not going out anymore.

I didn’t expect my phone to go off again. When it did, I was suspicious. Caleb’s name shown on the screen.

I heard about the fight. You okay? Doesn’t mean I’m not still mad at you. Later.

Frustration seeped through me. So much so that I put my phone on silent and returned to the couch. If my mom came home I’d just tell her I felt sick so I came home. It was starting to become true.

I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew it was dark out. The only light was coming from my phone, and it was blinking furiously at me. I wondered how many texts I had to deal with now.

FIVE NEW MESSAGES

I groaned and opened the first one. It was from Elias.

That’s okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.

The next four were from Aria.

Where are you?

I need you to call me when you can.

I hope you’re not still mad at me when we see each other.

Caleb’s worried about you, too.


I knew that the last one wasn’t true. I told her that I was okay, I just fell asleep. She didn’t reply after that, so I went back to sleep.

Maybe tomorrow would be a better day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so she's somewhat smart, but not really. If she hadn't felt bad about other things, she probably would have gone to see Elias.

:D Too bad we all know how it ends.