Remembering the Summers

This wasn't what they had in mind.

Shiloh woke up the next morning to a hand on her waist. She jumped up and slapped the hand away. As she fell onto her floor she saw Kennedy’s head pop up and glare at her.

“What was that for?” he asked, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. He was shirtless and his hair was array. Shiloh shook her head and sat back into her bed. She didn’t remember falling asleep with Kenny there.

“What are you doing here Kenny?” she asked, looking over her shoulder at him. He was pulling his pants on, and Shiloh quickly turned her head the other way. Sure, they were best friends. And yes, they have accidentally seen each other naked before, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t awkward when they see them nearly naked. Shiloh just giggled, which wasn’t something she had done in a long time.

“You just giggled.” Kennedy stated, walking around the bed to her, pulling on his shirt.

“Well, seeing as you just crawled out of my bed shirtless and pant less, I do have a right to giggle when you are almost naked.” She told him, looking at his face. He had his famous grin plastered across it, illuminating his features.

“Ah, I did. And you’re probably wondering when I crawled into your bed nearly naked, and why.” He said, now smirking. Shiloh nodded and he sat down next to her on the bed.

“Your mom called me last night.” he said, his tone changing dramatically. Shiloh looked at him, and understood. Her mother called him once she fell asleep. After her breakdown.

“Did you find the note?” she asked, looking at the ground where she dropped the note and tulip. It was clear.

“I didn’t read it. The note and flower are on your nightstand.” He told her, grabbing her hand. “ What happened Shi? Your mother called me, panicked. She never saw you cry so hard in your life.”

Shiloh turned away from him as her eyes started to water as she recalled the previous day’s events. She wouldn’t cry.

“Read the note.” She told him, wiping her eyes with her shirt.

“Are you sure?” he said, grabbing her chin and making her look into his eyes. She nodded and Kennedy grabbed the note off of her nightstand and began reading it. Shiloh got off her bed and went to her closet, grabbing clean clothes. She went into the bathroom and changed, not bothering with a shower. She tried to delay the time inside so she wouldn’t have to face Kennedy. She was scared about what he was going to say.

She opened the door and looked anywhere but Kenny, who was staring at her. She couldn’t read the expression that was on his face.

“Kenny-”

“Come here.” He demanded, his eyes in slits. His face showing nothing. Shiloh went and sat down by him, dragging her feet. She sat next to him and began to mess with her nails.

“When did you get this?” he asked, tapping the note on his knee.

“Yesterday, after you left. After I took a shower…” she said, looking at the little piece of paper.

“Where was it?” he said, now looking at the flower. Shiloh stood up.

“Why does it matter? Jesus, Kenny. Don’t you see? It doesn’t matter anymore! Because even if he does love me, we are never going to be together! He said it himself! It doesn’t matter where the damn paper and flower were. Or when I got it. Its still the same: we are never going to be together.” Shiloh said, tears coming down her cheeks. Her whole body was shaking and her legs felt like her legs were going to give out.

“Oh no, Shiloh come here.” Kenny said, holding out his arms. Shiloh fell into them, and curled herself against his body. She wasn’t crying, but there were still tears on her face.

“He should have just told me that he didn’t like me in that way. Or that he hated me. I would have felt much better.” Shiloh said, looking up at Kenny. He was looking at her with sad eyes. She knew that he was sorry for her. He had known how much she liked John. He had known from the beginning.

“Don’t look at me like that.” She said, sitting up. She was still on his lap, so she didn’t do anything else.

“Shiloh, it’ll be okay.” He said, looking at her. His eyes were as big as ever. He reminded her of her first day in fifth grade.

“Lets not talk about it, okay? Lets go do something. I need you best friend.” She said with a small smile, standing up and looking around her room. Kennedy stood up and walked to Shiloh, giving her a hug. Shiloh hugged back and nuzzled her head in his neck.

Kenny pulled away from her and smiled. She turned and walked out of her room and down the stairs. She was already out the front door when she heard Kennedy coming down the stairs, grumbling to himself.

“Where too?” he asked once they were in his car. Shiloh thought about it for a minute then shrugged.

“Wherever you want. I just don’t want to see John.” She told him. Kennedy nodded and backed out of her driveway.

Shiloh stared out the window as Kennedy drove to the mystery destination. She wanted to do something that would take her mind off of everything. Starting today she was going to be a new person. She wasn’t going to be sad, she wasn’t going to cry. She was going to be strong, and forget about John.

“Let’s golf.” Kenny said, his eyes bright. He jumped out of the car and waited for Shiloh. She joined him with a genuine smile and they walked to the miniature golf entrance.

A lot of cussing, and three hole in ones later, Shiloh was standing on top of a Volcano, grinning like an idiot. Kennedy was standing one the fake grass below, a fake sour look on his face.

“Come on Kenny! Don’t look at me like that.” Shiloh laughed, her voice carrying all around the golf course. Kennedy smiled up at her, glad to hear her laughing.

“How did you get so good at golf? Last time we came here, I kicked your ass. Damn it.” he sighed, laughing with her. She smiled, a real smile.

“Come on, lets get some ice cream. It’s too hot out here now.” Kennedy said, grabbing Shiloh’s hand and helping her off of the volcano.

“Where are we going for ice cream?” Shiloh asked, squeezing Kennedy’s hand as they walked out the gate.

“What about Baskin-oh shit.” He said, looking at the ground. Shiloh laughed harder, and didn’t notice the person that was leaning on Kennedy’s car.

“Baskin-oh shit? I don’t think I have heard of that ice cream place. Doesn’t sound too appealing.” She said, finally looking at Kennedy’s face. She followed his gaze and her face fell.

“Shiloh, can we talk?” He said, meeting her gaze. Shiloh stood there, frozen in her spot. She looked away from him and back at Kennedy,

“Whatever you want to do Shi.” he said, his face in a hard line.

“John, what are you doing here?” She asked, her voice barely audible. She wouldn’t look directly at him, she was afraid at what he might see on her face. She heard him sigh, and shuffle his feet. She was surprised when he grabbed her face and made her look at him.

“Don’t do this Shi! I know I said I would give you time, but I can’t. I hate not knowing if you’ll hate me, if you’ll never want to see me… I just cant do it. You mean the world to me. Damn it Kennedy, give us a minute okay?” He said, a tone in his voice that Shiloh had never heard. She looked at Kennedy who was staring at her, she nodded and he got into his car.

“John, I-I don’t know what to say.” she said, her voice quivering. He always made her have butterflies in her stomach, but now he made her heart pound and her head spin.

John was quiet for a minute as he looked over her. She was in her favorite white shorts, a teal halter top and white flip flops. Her light brown hair was in long waves all the way down to her lower back.

She pulled her face away from his hands and stepped back. She was on the verge of crying. How dare he come and act like what he said wasn’t like a slap in the face. How dare he demand answers from her.

“John, I didn’t pull that stunt on the bridge because of what you said.” She told him, looking at his chest. She took a deep breath and continued before he had time to reply. “I was already a little tipsy and, well I don’t know! I haven’t been in the best mindset lately, and it seemed like a good idea at the time, so I just…you know. Thank you for pulling me down, really. But it wasn’t your fault. Nothing was.”

John and Shiloh stood there looking at each other for a moment, taking the other in. Something was definitely different between the two of them.

“Okay.” was all he said before he bent down and kissed her. Shiloh was shocked, but deepened the kiss. After a moment she realized what was happening and pulled away quickly.

“What…What do you think your doing! You said we couldn’t be together! No, this is bad, goodbye John.” she yelled, walking to Kennedy’s car. She wiped the angry tears off of her face and reached for the door handle.

“Shiloh, get back here! Come on, Shi. We have to go somewhere and talk about everything.” John said, stopping her from opening the door.

“John, if you don’t move your hand your going to be sorry.” She said through tears.

“Shiloh, please, I love you. You have to talk to me.” John said, looking into her eyes as well. He looked like he was struggling.

“John, not now. Please, just go.” She said, looking to the ground. They stood there for a moment until he finally moved away from the car. Shiloh glanced at him as she got into the car, his head was facing away from her and he had tears running down the side of his face. Shiloh let more tears betray her as she got into the car.

“Shiloh-”

“I want to go home, Kenny.” she said, her voice cracking. Kennedy did as she said and took her home. Nothing was said the whole way, the only thing that the heard was Shiloh crying. Right as she put the car in park, Shiloh was stepping out of the car. Her eyes were blurry from crying.

“Do you need me to come with you?” Kennedy asked, grabbing her hand before she fell down. Shiloh nodded and they both walked up to her room.

“Thanks Kenny.” She whispered. She got into her bed and turned onto her side, facing away from him.

“If you need anything, and I mean anything Shi, just call me and ill be here as fast as I can.” He said, kissing her forehead. Once Shiloh nodded, he walked out of her room and shut the door.

Shiloh was left there by herself, already breaking the rules she set for herself earlier that day. She didn’t go to sleep until hours later. Not wanting to wake up.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, no one is really reading this.
but thats cool, i will let myself enjoy it.
=]

Thank you for the comment! you know who you are.