Status: Complete!

Save Me

Tryce.

It’s been over a week since Morgan told me he didn’t want me around anymore. I haven’t been over to his house, tried to call him or even seen him around. All I can assume is that he’s gone back to Texas already. It would’ve been nice for him to let me know when though. No, I know how to take a hint. If Morgan doesn’t want me, then I’m not going to stick around pining.

Senior year starts in a week – it’s the end of August now – so I’ll find a way to get over him somehow.

I mean, who am I kidding? We were only officially together for a month and a half, despite having known each other for years before that. It wasn’t exactly an epic romance. Hah, if anything, we were a summer fling. I wish I didn’t think of what we had in that way, but I’ve got to be honest to myself. I got in too deep too fast. Maybe Morgan leaving was for the best. Maybe we wouldn’t have lasted long anyway.

Why does it have to hurt so bad though?

My parents haven’t said anything about Morgan to me at all since I moved back in with them, which I’m grateful for. I’ve only caught Carlie glancing at me sympathetically every now and again, but my mom shoos her away pretty quickly. I just wish I could get over this empty feeling inside. It’s almost as bad as the beginning of the summer, when I felt so empty from missing Jensen, and now with Morgan gone, the empty feeling is back. I hate it. I hate all of this.

Lucky for me, my friends have taken it upon themselves to keep me busy. I seem to alternate have been alternating my last few days of summer between working at the beach, Javier’s house, and the houses of my friends on the school swim team – Henry, Luke, Isaac and the twins Oliver and Greg – so I haven’t been given any time to mope, which is probably for the best. I don’t like moping at the best of times, and right now really isn’t a good time for me at all.

“TRYCE! HEAD’S UP!”

I snapped out of my thoughts at Henry’s shout, catching the ball heading in my direction just in time. I shot a glare at Henry, who just grinned at me from the pool, his long blonde hair shaking as he laughed. Today we’re round Javier’s house, his parents out working and his younger sister out with her friends, giving us free reign. Javier and Luke are sunbathing on the back decking with me, but Henry, Isaac, Oliver and Greg were in the pool playing a very small water polo match – where I’m sure this ball strayed from.

“Don’t look at me, man. Greg’s the one with the dodgy throw,” Henry said.

I turned my glare to the sandy-haired twin in question, who just shrugged.

“Henry can’t catch, don’t go blaming me,” Greg snorted.

I rolled my eyes but smiled at their banter. At least they can keep me entertained. I closed my eyes and rested my head back, soaking up the sun, and just as I started to get peaceful, Javier’s phone started to ring.

“What the fuck?” he growled.

I frowned and opened one eye to look at him, but he was just scowling down at the caller ID.

“Who is it?” I asked curiously.

Javier’s eyes snapped to me and he just shook his head.

“Someone who really shouldn’t be calling,” Javier grunted.

I cast a glance at Luke, but he just shrugged, looking just as confused as I felt. With another grunt, Javier stood up, flipping his phone open as he headed back towards his house.

“You’ve got a lot of balls calling me…”

His voice trailed off as he walked inside.

“What’s got his panties in a bunch?” Luke asked, confused.

“Not a clue. I can’t really think of anyone he’d be that angry at, other than his cousin Pauly,” I frowned.

“Pauly’s still in juvie for another week for stealing alcohol from that store,” Luke replied, shaking his head.

Oh yeah. Whoops.

“I don’t know then. He does sound pretty mad though,” I said.

“Ah, you know what Javier’s temper is like. He’ll get over it soon enough,” Luke snickered.

I grinned at that. “Too true,”

I’m sure it’s just a call from his sister or something, telling him she needs a ride somewhere. Nothing to worry about.

*

Two days passed since our chill out day at Javier’s house, and I’m working the 9-3 shift at the beach, Javier working the same shift with me. Javier’s been a little quiet today, but he wouldn’t tell me why when I asked. I’ll just have to trust that he’s alright, right? He’ll tell me in his own time.

When 3pm hit, and the next lifeguards came to take over our posts, I got to the bottom of my ladder to see that Javier was already halfway across the beach. What the fuck is wrong with him? Is it me? Is it something I’ve done? I know I’ve been a little grumpy lately, but I’m working on it. It’s not exactly my fault. Whatever. He can PMS all he wants. With a wave to a couple of girls from school, I pulled my t-shirt back on and flung my towel over my shoulder, before heading back to the main hut, eager to sign out and get home to relax. Today is a beautiful day, and I won’t get the chance to bask in this sunlight much when school starts up again on Monday.

But when I’d signed out of my shift at the main desk, Javier was there waiting for me. Oh, so now he wants to talk.

“I have something you need to see,” he announced.

“I already told you, I’m not interested in your dick,” I retorted.

“Cute,” he said sarcastically, “just come with me,”

I sighed and rolled my eyes, but followed him into the changing rooms anyway. But what I saw there was the last thing I expected.

“Hi Tryce,” Morgan said softly.

I glared at Javier and started to walk back out the door, but Javier’s hand shot to my shoulder and held me in place. What the fuck?! Why is he keeping me here, when all Morgan’s done recently is hurt me? Why does he want to hurt me more?

“Oh no, you’re staying and you’re listening. I did not spend two days planning this little rendezvous for you to pussy out,” Javier said firmly.

“You planned this?” I asked coldly.

Javier nodded, but before he could reply I punched him square across the jaw. Morgan yelped as Javier fell to the floor but I ignored him.

“What the hell, Jav? I spent a week and a half with my heart broken, and this is what you do? You know how much he hurt me – why the fuck would you even talk to him?!” I yelled.

“Because…”

I cut Morgan off with a glare.

“I am not talking to you,” I scowled.

“Calm down, Tryce. Morgan called me two days ago – the person I wasn’t happy to answer the phone to? He was coming here with or without my help. After listening to him, I decided that helping would make things easier,” Javier said firmly, standing back up off the floor, rubbing his jaw.

“But why?” I retorted.

“I think Morgan should be the one to tell you that,” Javier said simply.

I gritted my teeth, not liking how Javier stared me down. Why is he so calm about this? How can he be so happy to let Morgan be here?

“Tee, please. Just listen to me,” Morgan begged.

I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all.

“Luke and Isaac picked him up from the airport and dropped him here before taking his bags to his dad’s house. Oliver, Greg and Henry kept him company. We’re all behind this, Tryce. We all think this should happen, that you should talk to him,” Javier said seriously.

A lump built up in my throat at that. A-All my friends went behind my back to do this?

“Please, Tee,” Morgan whimpered.

I bit my bottom lip, and nodded.

“Fine. You can talk,” I mumbled.

Javier squeezed my shoulder before heading into the showers. I just sat down on a bench, looking down at my feet. I can’t believe this is happening. I can’t believe he’s here.

“Aren’t you going to look at me?” Morgan asked quietly.

I snapped my head up, tears stinging my eyes.

“Why? So I can watch you leave for the second time?” I snapped.

“I didn’t leave my house when I last saw you, Tee. You’re the one that left,” Morgan frowned.

“Because you told me that you didn’t want me around!” I hissed.

Morgan pressed his lips together, looking away briefly.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled eventually.

“I think it’s a little too late for I’m sorry, Morgie,” I muttered.

“You don’t mean that,” Morgan said quickly.

“Excuse me?” I frowned.

“It’s not too late for us, is it? Please don’t say that’s true!” Morgan said desperately.

What the fuck is he on about?!

“You’re not making any sense, Morgie!” I spluttered.

Morgan whimpered and crouched down in front of me, gripping my hands tightly. I swallowed heavily at the simple touch. For over a week I’ve wanted to hold him again, but now it’s happening? I don’t know what to do.

“At the funeral I realised something important. I had to get back to you,” Morgan said softly.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“I kept thinking about our last words to each other, over and over in my head as I watched my momma being buried, and I realised you were right. I don’t have to push everyone away to keep them safe. My momma knew you were the best thing that happened to me. Tommy, Michael and Liam knew that you were the one thing that made me truly happy. It wasn’t until it finally hit me that I’d lost you that I knew I couldn’t live without you,” Morgan whimpered.

A quiet, desperate noise spilled from my lips, only making Morgan grip my hands tighter. What is he saying?

“I don’t expect you to believe me, but I wish you did. I love you so much, Tee. I-If leaving Texas for good means I get to be with you, then it’s done. It’s already done,”

He’s…he’s what?

“Y-You’re not going back to Texas?” I choked.

“No,” Morgan replied, shaking his head, “I sold the house to a middle-aged couple with one daughter, and all my stuff is in the process of being shipped here already,”

Oh my God. Oh my freaking God.

“You’re staying here?” I whispered.

Morgan smiled, tears in his eyes. “Yeah, I’m staying here. With you. I choose you, over everything,”

A sob choked up my throat before I could stop it, and I quickly pulled Morgan up off the floor and into my arms, crushing him to my body in a hug.

“Don’t say it if you don’t mean it. I can’t…I can’t go through losing you again. I already lost you when we were kids, and last week damn near killed me. I can’t lose you again,” I rambled in his ear, clutching his t-shirt in my fists.

“I mean it, I’m staying in Florida. I’m starting back at school with you on Monday and I’m going to watch all your dorky water polo matches and go to every one of your swim meets. I-I want to be your boyfriend again, Tee, if you’ll let me,” Morgan replied.

“Yes. Fuck yes,” I choked.

In an instant, Morgan pressed his lips to mine, kissing me desperately, hungrily almost. I didn’t waste any time in kissing him back, my body thrumming with the need for his embrace. It feels like it was far too long ago that I last kissed these lips. Far too long.

“Alright Tryce! Get that ass!”

I broke away at the sounds of whoops and cheers, glaring over Morgan’s shoulder at all my friends standing in the doorway, Javier just laughing from the shower room. My glare probably wasn’t all the effective with the grin on my lips though.

“You all owe me for keeping this fucking secret. Big time,” I warned.

“How about a Welcome Back To Florida For Good party in Morgan’s honour?” Isaac laughed.

“Beer, music, and most the soon-to-be-Seniors from school?” Luke grinned.

“At our house?” Oliver suggested.

“Our pool just got redone and our parents are out of town for three days?” Greg added.

“I’ll even do a barbecue?” Henry offered.

“Don’t forget the tequila I ‘borrowed’ from my dad!” Javier yelled from the other room.

Morgan laughed softly in my ear, nipping my neck softly before turning round to face them.

“Looks like our afternoon’s planned out already, Tee,” Morgan said fondly.

“Yeah, looks like it,” I chuckled.

“Go get a shower. I’ll call my dad and your parents and tell them what’s going on,” Morgan said happily.

“And we’ll go get set up!” Henry whooped, ushering everyone out.

When we were alone again, I pressed a slow kiss to Morgan’s lips before standing up, letting him out of my arms.

“I love you, so much,” I said softly, brushing my thumb over his collarbone.

Morgan full-out beamed at me.

“I love you too,”

I pecked his lips one last time before heading into the shower room, smiling to myself. After all this time, I think I’ve found what I’d been looking for – my saviour. I saved Morgan from a world of anger and sadness, grief mixing with the bitterness of his parents’ divorce. And he saved me from losing my mind over Jensen, rebuilding the shell of my broken soul and filling me with happiness. We found each other and our love has given each other purpose, a new life to embark on.

And I can’t wait to live it, with Morgan by my side.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END.

Thank you all so so so much for taking this journey with Lili and I. We've enjoyed writing this so much, and we're going to miss it even more. There's been ups and downs, laughs and love, crying and heartache, but everything has reached it's end. Thank you so much for all your support and feedback. We hope you've liked reading this as much as we've liked writing this.

From me, Lili, Tryce and Morgan, thank you and goodbye! :)
<3