Status: Active?

Halloween Head

19

I walked back into my house and skipped up to my room. Tears were coming down my face in a mixture of fear, anger and sadness. Right as I left Joel’s lawn I got a text message from a number I didn’t know. It was a picture of Garrett and Rachel, she was propped in his lap and his hands rested on her legs and around her waist. I figured it was an old picture until I looked a little closer and saw the shirt I gave Garrett on his torso.

I slammed my door open and stormed over to my bed. I had stopped the tears now and I was just mad. I pulled the covers off of Garrett’s body and he shot up awake. “Get the fuck out of my house.” I grumbled focusing on the black eye I had giving him.

“What? Why?” He said confused. I forced myself to ignore the adorable face he was making and closed my eyes showing him the photo on my phone. “Oh Amberlyn, that’s not what it looks like.” He cooed standing up and looking down at me.

“Please Garrett, just leave.” I whispered and whipped the new tears from my cheeks. He hung his head and walked towards the door stopping once to look back at me briefly and sat a small box on the dresser by the door. I slid down to the floor and put my face in my hands. I had to have cried for about an hour before I made my decision to call Joel.

“Can you come over?” I whimpered into the phone.

“Give me five minutes.” He said before hanging up.

Joel was here within those five minutes, it didn’t matter that it was almost midnight and that Christmas was tomorrow. I let him in through my window knowing my dad wouldn’t approve of him being here. I was crying again and he looked at me from under the curtain of blonde hair.

“What’s the matter?” He asked sitting next to me on my bed. I handed him my phone and he looked from it to me with a blank expression.

“I know, I know, you where right.” I said laying back down allowing the tears to fall onto my quilt that still smelled like Garrett.

“You know that’s Rachel’s number. I know because mine is similar to hers.” He said again.

“Of course it’s her number. Of fucking course.” I said now realizing it.

“I’m sorry Ambey.”

I couldn’t really form words; I laid there and cried. Garrett was the first boy I had ever loved, the first boy I had even opened up to about anything. I thought our relationship was perfect. I thought that everything we had was real, but everything fell apart because of a picture, one simple picture. I closed my eyes and pushed my face into the pillow to muffle the sobs.

Joel tossed my phone to the floor and laid down next to me hesitantly wrapping his arms around me. “Joel, you should go home.” I said rolling over to face him. He shook his head and picked up my hand playing with my fingers.

“Not until you’re okay.” I sighed and he pulled me closer. “I just want you to be happy.” He said again.

I shook my head knowing that it wasn’t that simple. I wasn’t going to be able to get over this. I wasn’t going to forget everything Garrett and I had.

“It won’t be easy and I know you think you won’t be able to move on but I promise you, things will change.” He moved his hand to my cheek and rubbed the corner of my mouth. “I’m here for you Ambey.” He started to lean forward and for a moment I thought he was going to kiss me but instead, he just pecked my nose and tucked me into his chest.

I woke up the next morning, alone thinking that everything was just a bad dream. But the unopened gift on the dresser and the note from Joel on my pillow proved me wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
short again.