Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing. :]

Tattooed & Famous

Playdate

Jake walked up to the house and smiled at the door being thrown open. Caden came rushing out of the front door, attaching himself to Jake’s legs with a giggle. Jake instantly took notice of the large white bandage around his forearm and frowned at the sight.

“What happened little man?” Jake crouched down to his eyes level, taking his arm in hand.

“Accident!” Caden chirped. Jake nodded slowly. “What we do?” He began bouncing up and down.

“Lots of fun stuff. I figured we could go to the park for a while, then maybe lunch…or breakfast for lunch.” Caden’s face lit up at the idea of having breakfast for lunch. It was about nine am and he’d already eaten. “Some free time to do whatever you want then, later tonight, the Lakers game...oh wow…” Jake trailed off at the stunned, overly excited look he was getting. Caden’s mouth fell open ever so slightly at the thought of actually going to a game. “After that you get to spend the night at my house. Sound like a plan?” Caden began bouncing up and down and nodding his head vigorously. “Then let’s get to it. Where’s your mom?” Standing he lifted Caden with him and laughed as the boy clung tightly to him.

Stepping into the house, Jake closed the door behind him gently and peered around the empty front room. For once he took in the homey feel to the place. It was the exact opposite of his house. They had warm colors on the walls, with paintings Caden seemed to have painted framed and hanging, along with family portraits, both in black and white and color. The couches were worn and used with stains from spilled food and finger paints. A few rugs were laid out on the hard wooden floors under the warm wooden table and accent pieces.

Everything flowed perfectly and looked as a home should. His looked like it dropped out of a magazine. It had no life. The walls were dull and lifeless white, just like his leather couches with glass and black iron tables and accent pieces.

It was far more inviting than his and he enjoyed it far more than his own home.

“Here.” Penelope stated as she entered the front room, holding a small dinosaur backpack. Jake took it. “A sweater, a hat, his pajamas, a change of clothes, and a few toys.” She mused, pointing at it. Nodding, he glanced back at her in a pair of board shorts and a deep V-neck grey t-shirt covering up most of a white bikini top.

“Calm down.” Jake laughed as she shifted nervously. “He’ll be fine.” Nodding, she leaned in, giving Caden a kiss on the cheek.

“You be good.” She pointed. Caden rubbed his cheek with a groan and an extended ‘mom’ in her direction. “I’m not kidding.” Ruffling his hair and laughed at the groan she got in return. “You,” Jutting a finger in Jake’s face, she stared him down. “Don’t lose him.”

Saluting, Jake chuckled at her.

“You,” Jake pointed at Penelope with a stern finger. “Don’t fully disassemble Brutus and reassemble him.” Penelope rolled her eyes at the thought of dismantling her car. “I don’t know what else you’d do with your free time.” He shrugged truthfully.

“Sleep.” Penelope mused, loving the idea of actually sleeping. “See you tomorrow Caden.” The little boy began bouncing up and down wildly on Jake’s hip.

“Alright, you little monster, let’s go.” Jake stated with a chuckle behind his words while heading down the front path towards his car parked on the curb. “Actually…” He turned back to Penelope. “I need a car seat.” She laughed heading into the house. “We’ll leave when we get your car seat.” He mused as he saw the jutted out bottom lip and large doe eyes Caden was giving him.

“I no need. I big boy.” Caden pointed out seriously.

“I know, but your mom will kill me if I don’t use it.” Jake whispered. Caden pursed his lips, nodding at the idea. “That’s not good.” He mused childishly at the three year old. Caden shook his head at the idea.

Jake placed his hat on and a pair of sunglasses while watching Caden play in the damp grass of the closest park. He dragged his feet through the grass, feeling the water logged dirt sink under his weight slowly.

With his hands in his pockets and Caden’s small bag slung over his shoulder, he watched the other kids run in circles, laughing and playing. A small smile began to slip on his features as he watched Caden rush to the sand box playing in it with the other kids. The boy made friends quickly, that was for sure.

Walking over to the bench on the edge of the playground, Jake lowered himself onto the wooden bench. Glancing to his right, he watched two parents sit on another bench, the man’s arm around his wife’s shoulders. He wanted that.

A family to call his own, to know he could create something so much more than images and emotions on screen. To know that he could keep it together and he could feel and emotion so deep while sharing the feeling with the person inflicting it on him.

The bench creaked as a woman sat on the other end, blocking his view of the couple. Giving her a small nod of his head and a smile, he turned his attention back to Caden roaming the sand box like Godzilla with the other kids, destroying the small sand structures they’d built up.

“So which one’s yours?” The woman at the end of the bench pressed timidly. Jake smiled, a breathy laugh leaving him lips.

Technically none of them were his; he was just babysitting as a favor and to get a good in with his gorgeous neighbor. “That one.” He pointed at Caden. “Green shirt.” She smiled nodded at him. “Which one’s yours?” He asked to be polite.

“The little girl in the pink dress.” Jake nodded at the little girl playing trying to play with the group of boys. She was being pushed to the side and ignored by them as they played their little game of destruction. “She just refuses to play with the girls.” She pointed to the group of girls playing with dolls on the grass several feet away.

“At least you’ll know she’ll be able to compete with the boys when she’s older…and…” Licking his lips, he bobbed his head as the little girl pushed the largest boy over. “win.” She laughed at his words.

“Jean,” She called. The little girl looked up startled by her name. Like a deer caught in headlights. “Play nice.” She scolded.

Pouting the little girl stalked away from the boys, toward the slide. Sighing, Jake frowned at the sight of her playing by herself under the slide.

“I wish she would learn to play nice. They might actually let her join.” Jake turned toward the woman, flabbergasted.

He remembered being a little boy- girls were the enemies. They had cooties! - Which if told by the right older, were deadly and could easily kill them! Jake had bought into that one as a small boy and avoided girls like the plague. Sure, not that many girls tried to play with him and his friends when he was as little as Caden, but he still avoided them and didn’t let them join in their games.

“Hey.” Jake smiled as Caden ran over. “What’re you…” He frowned and leaned forward as Caden began digging through his bag wildly. “What’re you looking for little man?” The small green dinosaur toy nearly lodged its self in Jake’s nose as Caden lifted it out of his backpack in victory. “Careful with that thing!” He laughed, hands raised to his own defense.

“Sowie.” Caden giggled. With that Caden was gone, running off.

“How old is he?” the woman asked gently.

“Three.” Jake whispered. “Yours?” He glanced at her.

“Five.” She smiled. “He’s adorable, by the way.” Jake nodded and opened his mouth to speak, only to stop as she continued. “Would you look at that? It looks like you’re raising quite the gentlemen.”

Turning, he noticed Caden was playing with her daughter under the slide instead of with the other boys. like before. A proud smile weaseled its way onto his features as he nodded and placed his elbow over the back of the bench, letting his hand hang by his side.

“Yeah…” Jake muttered slowly.

“You don’t believe so?” She asked concerned. Jake laughed, licking his lips warily.

“It’s not that.” Jake swallowed slowly. “It’s more of he’s taking after his mother…” Groaning, he tossed his head back as Caden pushed a boy over, glaring at him. “Cay.” He groaned at the boy loudly. “Be nice.” He called.

“Buh ‘ee’s a butthead!” Caden pointed. Jake stood up slowly.

“See.” Jake laughed at her as he wandered over to the group. “Okay, what happened?” he asked, helping the one boy up.

“’ee kicks sand in my face.” The little girl sniffled rubbing at her eyes. Jake looked down at the boy he was still holding.

“Are you okay?” Jake asked her gently. She nodded weakly. “Caden,” Caden looked up at him carefully. “Next time don’t fight, come get an adult.” Nodding weakly, Caden began chewing on his shirt sleeve.

Ruffling the little boy’s hair, he smiled at him gently.

“You’re not in trouble, just next time ask for help.” Caden nodded weakly. “But you-” Jake turned his attention to the boy tugging to get out of his grip “-are a different story.”

“Why are you holding my son like that?” Jake spun at the woman’s harsh voice.

“’Ee kick sand in ‘er face!” Caden tattled. The woman glared at her son and grabbed him by the ear. Jake restrained the need to cover his own ears, knowing how badly it hurt. “Look! Look!” Caden tugged and Jake’s pant leg. “This is Jean!” He pointed at the little girl still trying to not cry.

Jake crouched down in front of the small girl.

“Hi Jean. I’m Jake.” He waved slowly. Sniffling, she waved back. “Can I see?” He pulled her hands away and sighed. “Let’s get you some water.” Leading her and Caden to the bench, he smiled at the woman he’d been sitting next to.

“Is everything okay?” She gasped. “Jean?” she crouched by her daughter.

“That other boy kicked sand in her face.” Jake sighed.

“Oh let’s get you cleaned up. Thank you…” She trailed off, not having a name.

“Don’t worry about.” Jake smiled, not willing to give out his name. “I hope they can still be friends.” He mused. “Come on little guy, let’s go get something to eee…” Jake toppled to the ground and Caden jumped, tackling him and taking him out at the knees. “Oh no!” Jake laughed as Caden took him to the ground. “Don’t hurt me.” He teased as they wrestled in the damp grass.

Caden had the upper hand as Jake tried to keep his hat and sunglasses on while not hurting the little guy in the least bit.

“Oh no.” Jake breathed out, on the ground. “I can’t go on.” He teased as Caden sat on his chest.

“I win?” Jake nodded. “I win!” Caden declared, fists in the air.

“Oh…” Jake groaned as he sat up slowly. His back ached slightly. “Where are my sunglasses?” He asked, looking around. Somewhere in the wrestling match he’d lost them anyway.

Shrugging dramatically, Caden looked around for the expensive lenses. Humming, the little boy took off as Jake stood, dusting at the slightly damp spots on his clothes. Sighing gently, he walked over to Caden, who was sitting in the grass and holding them up.

“Okay, lunch time.” Jake laughed, picking Caden up and placing his sunglasses back on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading.
Let me know what you think of the story. Thank you.
Again thanks to thebirdsandthesky for editing this.
Again thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing.