Wake Me Up Forgotten Faces

..Twenty Eight..

Breaking News! About a month since I brought Avenged Sevenfold fans hope for their guitarist I am forced to bring bad news to shatter it back down; a gunman has been able to get past security and fire shots during the band's performance. As far as we know there have been no deaths at the Tabernacle in Atlanta but Brian Haner - known as Synyster Gates - and his girlfriend; Emily Newell were rushed to hospital - the extent of their injuries unknown. A man has been arrested."

The 10 bodies all stirred as they heard the news.

"Someone's been arrested?" Val breathes as Matt tightened his hug on her.

"Fucker," The lead singer growled, angry beyond belief that someone would try to hurt his wife, friends and fans "If I could get my hands on him I-" The group froze as a familiar looking guy flashed up on screen.

"The man, Alan Jamesson, was arrested at the scene - already providing the police with a full confession..."

"Alan," Jimmy frowned, his fingers curling into fists as Leana rubbed his shoulder soothingly.

"How dare he," Johnny snarled, keeping a protective grip on Lacey.

"I-I can't believe he'd do this!" Hannah cried, burying her face into Zach's shoulder.

"Are you okay Chelle?" Val called to her sister across the room.

Gena almost hissed with anger as she pulled out of Zach's arms and stood "What the fuck Michelle? You're not welcome."

"Gee!?" Val frowned in her sister's defence.

"No Val, you can't defend her this time," Gena warned before turning to fface the other DiBenedetto twin "Now get out."

"I didn't mean it Gena!" Michelle breathed pulling her knees up to her chest "I-I thought they were engaged..."

"Does that matter? You've been split from him for 2 years Michelle!"

"What's going on!" Val called over all the commotion "What the hell has got in to you two?" She asked in confusion, Gena and her sister had always gotten along.

"You tell her," Gena spat, pointing a warning finger at Michelle.

"I-" The dark haired woman glanced around all the faces of her old friends before dropping her head into her hands. "I kissed Brian."

The shocked silence was almost deafening as Val got to her feet.

"I'm sorry!" Michelle exclaimed "I didn't mean to...I didn't know all this was going to happen!" She slowly glanced up and met her twins eyes "Val..."

Val lowered her head "I think you better go Mich, I'll call you when we have news."

*

Brian groaned as he slowly came round, the usual sounds of a hospital room echoing in his ears.

"Mr. Haner?" A soft female voice floated round the room as his eyes flickered open, adjusting to the brightness of the room.

"Emily...?" He breathed, ignoring the dull ache in his right arm "It was...Alan..."

"Mr. Haner, calm down," The nurse gently did the usual check over him "Are you in pain?"

His eyes finally focused to see the middle aged woman fussing over him. He nodded.

"Here," She smiled, passing him a small button "This is your pain medication, push this if it's hurting."

"M-my friends, do you know where they are?"

She smiled once more and nodded "I'll send them through."

*

They were all asleep when the nurse entered the family room, only stirring when she cleared her throat.

"Mr. Haner has just woken up and is asking to see you all."

All tired feelings were thrown as the group jumped to their feet; a mixture of worry and relief on each face. They nervously followed Brian's nurse to his room, each once terrified - of how he was and of what questions he would ask.

As soon as his hospital room's door was opened he attempted to scrabble into a sitting position, a weak smile on his face when he saw his friends.

"Mr. Haner!" His nurse scolded as she raced over to the bed to assist him "What did I tell you about resting?"

Brian rolled his eyes and shrugged playfully "That it's boring and I shouldn't do it?"

The nurse sent him a stern look - unable to hide the corners of her mouth twitching into a amused smile "I'll be back in an hour to check on you, press your buzzer if you need me," She said once he was sat up and she was edging towards the exit.

"Are you okay?"

"What happened to you?"

"Do you need anything?"

Brian chuckled, holding up his hands to pause the explosion of questions "Guys, I don't even care about myself right now," He said in a soft, worried tone "How is she? How's my Emily?"

The reaction he got from the friends around his wasn't one he was expecting. Zach's usual bright emerald eyes darkened slightly as Gena cried silent tears beside him. Hannah placed her head in her hands as Leana and Jimmy comforted her. Lacey leant her chin on Johnny's shoulder, almost hiding herself from his gaze.

"Brian..." Val whispered, softly placing a hand on his muscular forearm.

"We don't know," Matt blurted out as he paced the room, rubbing the back of his neck with unease.

His eyes shifted frantically from friend to friend, finally settling on Val - the one he knew would tell him the truth, no matter what. "W-what the fuck?"

Val silently nodded, her own tears escaping her eyes "He's telling the truth Brian. All we've been told is she was taken into surgery 2 hours ago."

With every word Val spoke a new pain hit him; one that wouldn't go away by the push of a button.

Heartbreak.

*

Dr. Katy Hagon sighed as she peeled off her rubber gloved, throwing them violently into the nearest bin.

A frustrated, sad sigh passed through her lips as she leant against the counter at the nurses' station, running her hands through flame red hair.

10 years in the profession and losing a patient never got easier.

"Hey, you did your best," One of the nurses soothed, placing a steaming cup of black coffee infront of Katy.

The Doctor smiled her thanks before pushing herself away from the counter, bringing the coffee mug to her lips she wandered the wards - hoping one of her other patients could lift her mood.

She soon found herself at the bedside of yet another young girl - just like the one she had lost - and she sighed, allowing herself to drop into the comfy chair next to the bed, her eyes scanning over the young girls chart.

Gunshot wound to the right side - difficult surgery but she thought (hoped) she had managed to pull it off. The next step was, pretty much, a waiting game. the young girl needed to wake up before they could asses her and provide the exact right treatment. She needed to defy the odds and wake up.

Dr. Hagon quickly drained the rest of the coffee before dragging her weary body from the comfort on the chair - back on her tired feet.

Just as she was at the doorway one of the machines hooked up to the young girl made a noise which caught her attention and restored her hope in miracles as she pun around and ran back to the bed - shouting for assistance.

Emily Newell was waking up.