Don't Give up Hope

Chapter 2

"Hey, boys." I said, getting out of my truck.

"I was starting to think you changed your mind about living here." Tony said.

"Nah, I just went out for the day." I said, shrugging. "Do you guys want to come in?" I offered.

"Oh, no. We were just here to invite you over for a barbecue."

"Yeah. My mom noticed you moving in yesterday and told us we should invite you." Ryan said.

"Sure, sounds great. Just let me get cleaned up real fast."

"Just come on over when you're ready." Ryan said, nodding towards his house.

"Will do."

God that was a close one. I'm glad he didn't notice me.

I took a quick shower, before getting ready and heading over. For some stupid reason, I felt nervous as I rang the doorbell.

"Who are you?" A little boy asked, answering the door.

"I'm Mel. I just moved in across the street. Your brother and his friend invited me over earlier." I said, bending down to his height.

"Sweet. I'm Kane."

"Hey, Buddy. Who's at the door?" His dad asked, walking up behind him.

"This is Mel. Isn't she pretty?" He tried to whisper the last part, but failed.

I smiled. He was so cute! "I'm Randy by the way. Did you just move in across the street? I think I remember Gretchen saying something about that. Come on in."

"Thanks."

"Everyone's out back." He said, leading the way. "Look who showed up." He announced once we were outside.

I smiled and waved as everyone said their hello's and introductions were made. They all seemed really nice.

"So, Mel. I hope you don't mind me asking but, are you all alone over there?" Gretchen asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. It's just me."

"Where are your parents?" I could tell she was simply just curious and not trying to pry.

"Mom." Ryan said.

"No, it's fine. They're back in Boston. We used to live out here when I was younger and I guess I just wanted to come back."

It wasn't time for the real truth to come out. If it ever would...

"So did you move out here for college?" Randy asked.

I smiled. "Something like that."

"Well, you're always welcome over here if you ever need anything." Gretchen said, playing the Mom Role. I really liked her.

Suddenly, Kane appeared in front of me, holding a flower and looking shy. "Mel, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked quietly.

Everyone cooed at how cute he was. "Aw, sure. You're too handsome to pass up." I smiled, picking him up and sitting him on my lap.

"Ha, I can get the girls too, Ryan." Kane said proudly.

Ryan just shook his head at his little brother. "You look really familiar." Taylor, one of Ryan's friends said.

I froze. "Why do you say that?"

She shrugged, waving her hand. "I'm probably just getting you mixed up with someone else. Never mind."

I eased up a bit, but I kept glancing at Ryan. He seemed like he was trying to figure me out...

"Well, thank you so much for inviting me, but I should really get back. I still have a lot to do." I said, setting Kane in the chair.

"Oh, alright. Just call if you want some help." Gretchen said, getting up and giving me a hug.

I let out the breath that I'd been holding in as soon as I closed my front door behind me.

Please, Ryan... Please don't figure me out.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little slow right now, but I promise it will start up soon and the chapters will get a lot longer :) What do you think she's hiding???