Status: Completed; There's a sequel if you're interested ...

Death Is Unpredictable

Chapter One: Initiation

My eyes fluttered open to a beautiful place.

“Is this heaven?”, I ask, looking around.

I was lying on the clouds, with glittering buildings all around. There was a spring, and flowers, and the spring sun.

“Nope,” a man says, smiling. He was maybe twenty five, no older. He was very handsome, dark brown hair, gentle golden eyes. “She’s here, young ones!”, the man yells, looking around.

A group soon forms around me. Mainly guys.

“Melody Jordan Knight,” one says. He had midnight black hair, and golden-silver eyes. “Welcome to Fallen,” he says, smirking.

“Fallen?”

“It’s not heaven nor hell. And most definitely not earth.”, a girl explains. She was the only other girl, smiling and seeming perfectly happy.

“So … what lives here?”

“The Fliers,” a boy with dark brown hair says, smiling.

“The — what?”

“We’re not Angels. We’re not demons. We’re not even Fallen Angels. And most definitely not Spirits, Ghosts, or Phantoms. We’re just Fliers. We’re also known as the Nine Riddles. But since you came, we’re now the Ten Riddles.”, the black haired boy explains.

“Ahuh?”

“Just follow Jolie.”, a dirty blonde haired boy says.

“That’s me,” the girl says. Her light brown hair fell in waves to her shoulders. Her eyes were a shade of lavender, like a powdery dust. Her skin was one of the Mexican heritage, with the natural, dark brown tan.

She grabs my hand, pulling me along beside her to one of the tiny, glittering cottages. They almost seemed to be made of millions of diamonds.

“Put this one on, Melody.”

“Okay?”, I say, studying the gown. It was a pale blue, with some lilac coloring to it. I look up at Jolie, but she had left the cottage.

I change quickly, staring at the mirror. I stand in front of it, noticing how I looked almost, transparent. It was shocking, horrifying.

“You look beautiful, Melody.”, Jolie says, walking back in. “Kevin is talking to Elijah. From what Elijah has told us, you will be very helpful to our kind.”

“What I don’t understand is why I seem transparent?”

“Because you are dead, Melody. You’ll be seen much clearer after your initiation, you’ll be able to be seen much clearer.”, Jolie says, standing in the mirror. She was seen so clearly, which made me jealous. “That is why you’re dressed like that.”

I look down at the gown, plain and simple, brushing the floor, loose-fitting. It was just a beautiful gown, and it made me feel almost like royalty.

“Here,” Jolie says, grabbing my hand. “It’s time for the ceremony of you joining us.”

“What exactly happens?”

“You’ll see.”

I hated that sentence. Everyone surrounded me in a circle, on a platform that showed the entire cloud of the village.

“Speak the first thing that comes to mind. Do not think of what you say, just say it.”

“You all are crazy.”

“Incorrect,” the black haired boy sighs. The man steps forward, chuckling.

“Say the first things that comes to mind, child.”, he says firmly. He puts a hand to my forehead, and images start flooding my mind. “Gifted upon Zeus and Hera. Along with all the other Gods and Goddesses.”

“Zeus my father, Hera my mother. All the others, my brothers and sisters.”, I say clearly, my eyes closed.

“Only one other has matched such skill.”, the man mumbles. “Ash.”

The boy with dirty blonde hair, and ashy eyes, steps forward, bowing slightly. “Vow of Loyalty,” he, Ash, says gravely.

“May my wings be torn off my back if my loyalty betrays.”

“Vow of Friendship,” Jolie says, stepping forward.

“We are all friends. None shall betray.”

“Vow of Strength,” the dark brown haired boy says, stepping forward. His eyes were an impossibly dark blue, as dark as the midnight sky.

“May Strength lift me from the ground I was once bound to.”

“Vow of Speed.”, a boy with light brown hair says, his eyes an endless onyx black.

“The Speed as a thousand winds, may my wings take me.”

“Vow of Wisdom,” a boy with ashy brown hair says, his eyes a fiery red.

“Wisdom of a thousand lives be with me.”

“Vow of Equality,” a boy with black hair and deep green eyes.

“We are all equal. No one is higher. No one is lower.”

“Vow of Protection,” a boy with dark brown hair says, his eyes a shade of yellow that seemed to glow like the everlasting golden sun.

“We all protect one another. No one is left behind.”

“Vow of Prophecy,” a girl says. Her strawberry red hair cut short, no lower than her chin, her eyes a glowing auburn.

“We follow all prophecies. Memorize them, know them by heart.”

“Vow of Flight,” another girl says, with auburn hair that was glittering and shimmering, and eyes the color of the clear blue skies with untouched white clouds.

“May my wings take me far. Take me high. Make me one.”

“Vow of the Elements,” the black haired boy, with the silvery-golden eyes, says firmly.

“By Earth and Wind, by Fire and Water, by the Darkness and the Light. I call on the Elements to witness everything, and deny me power when I have betrayed.”, I say, as I cut my wrist and bright red blood spills out.

“Welcome to Fallen,” the man says.

“I’m Kevin,” the black haired boy, with the silvery-golden eyes, says, smirking.

“I’m Roxana,” the girl with the strawberry red hair says, smiling.

“I’m Nina,” the girl with the auburn hair says, smirking.

“That’s Max,” the black haired boy says. He was pointing to the boy with the dark brown hair and the yellow eyes.

“I’m Connor,” the boy with black hair and deep green eyes says.

“I’m Jeremy,” the boy with dark brown hair and impossibly dark blue eyes says, smirking.

“I’m Brendan,” the boy with light brown hair and endless black eyes says, smiling.

“Eric,” the boy with ashy brown hair and fiery eyes says, smirking.

“Okay, I think I got it …”, I say, dazed and confused.

“And you must wear this as a symbol of membership.”, the man says, smiling as he clips a necklace around my neck. “Elijah is the name. Don’t wear it out.”

“Can someone tell me how to get back to earth?”, I ask, remembering Dylan.

“Who’s he?”, Ash asks, frowning.

“My best friend. He was there when I died … I have to see him … I never got to say goodbye …”, I say, frowning.

“He took it pretty hard, Kev.”, Ash says, frowning.

“Mind-Reader,” I grumble.

“Yah know it!”, Ash cheers.

“I’ll take her down. Just one of you girls get her in some normal clothing.”, Kevin grumbles.

“I’ll do it this time, Jolie!”, Roxana says excitedly, pulling me along behind her. “Here’s a t-shirt and some jeans! I’ll be back in a bit!”

I quickly change, rolling my eyes. I walk out of the cottage, not bothering to mope in front of the mirror.

“Great, you’re ready.”, Kevin says sarcastically, grabbing my hand as a hole appears. I scream as we fall through, clinging to him.