Status: Completed; There's a sequel if you're interested ...

Death Is Unpredictable

Chapter Two: Goodbye

Kevin had to help me get used to being on “human territory.”

“That’s a stupid way to say it.”, I say, rolling my eyes as I have to relearn how to walk.

“Says the girl having trouble on her own two feet.”, Kevin chuckles sarcastically.

“What are you? My dad?”

“Nope.”

“Good. ‘Cause that would be kind of creepy.”

“Wouldn’t it?”

“So, is Elijah the leader?”, I ask, stumbling to fall on the grass. He had taken me to an abandoned farm, or field.

“Yeah, pretty much. He’s oldest, and he was the most powerful.”, Kevin says, helping me up. “But he’s usually trying to get us out of hiding. Not too many others are very … welcoming.”

“How so?”

“Well, the demons hate us because we try to bring peace. The angels hate us because sometimes we start wars … and that’s really all it took.”, Kevin says, shrugging.

“That’s sad.”

“That’s why you’re with us. You were fifty-fifty.”

“So, I’m a Riddle?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”, he says, shrugging. “Remember, one foot in front of the other.”

“I hate this!”, I grumble, falling. Kevin chuckles, helping me up.

“Were you a klutz before you died?”

“A little clumsy, but not enough to be called a klutz! And I was on every sports team! Until I got Mitochondrial.”, I grumble, trying to walk again, only to fall once again.

“Look, let me help you …”

“No! I can do this!”, I say stubbornly, standing back up.

“Stubborn as a Taurus.”, Kevin grumbles.

“Excuse me?”

“Taurus Bull. Symbolizes Earth and Stubbornness.”

“Whatever,” I say, focusing on my feet. I fall again, rolling over to glare at Kevin as he starts laughing.

“That’s it, I’m helping you before you break your neck!”, Kevin laughs, helping me up. He keeps an arm around my waist, walking slowly. “Left foot.”

And I moved my left foot. “Good. Now right.”

And it went like that for awhile. His arm didn’t leave my waist, and I could feel my blush burning my cheeks. He finally let go, and I stumbled a little until getting into the rhyme of walking.

“Yes! Thank you, Kevin!”, I say, running to hug him. I could see him blush bright red as I let go, making me giggle.

“Umm, lets get going to your house.”, Kevin says, composing himself as his blush starts to fade.

“Dylan!!”, I cheer happily.

“You know you can’t go by ‘Melody’ when you see him.”, Kevin says, glaring.

“What?! Why not?!”, I whine.

“Because people will get suspicious. Look, we’re on thin ice as it is. We don’t need to become hunted.”, Kevin says firmly.

“Fine,” I grumble. I walked next to Kevin, seeing as how I had no idea where I was.

“There’s your house,” he says, pointing down the street. I nod, slowly walking down the street with him. I stare up at the house sadly. “Melody, it’s no big deal. Follow me,” he says, grabbing my hand.

We walk straight through my bedroom wall, and I see Dylan, just sitting beside my dead figure, crying.

“Oh, Dylan!”, I cry, tears filling my eyes.

“Melody?”, Dylan asks, looking up.

“Dylan!”, I say, letting go of Kevin’s hand.

“Melody!”, Dylan says, jumping up from where he sat by the bedside.

“Yep,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“B-b-but y-you’re d-dead …”

“Just come here and hug me!”, I say sarcastically, holding my arms out. Dylan runs over, hugging me. “I came back to say goodbye, Dylan. You get some sleep and eat. I’m in a much better place. I can beat you again.”, I say teasingly, laughing. Dylan chuckles, smiling with tears.

“You don’t change, even after you’ve died.”, Dylan mumbles.

“Then you’ll always remember me.”

“Yeah, I will. For all of eternity, Melody Jordan Knight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I forgot to mention Mitochondrial Disease is real. My sister, Sophia, has it. So, please, help find cures.