Status: Completed; There's a sequel if you're interested ...

Death Is Unpredictable

Chapter Four: Momme

I had found the house. It looked almost to be made out of black onyx, silver, and gold. It glittered in the morning dawn, shimmering and sparkling. I walk up to the golden door, knocking lightly. The door swings open quickly, surprising me.

“What?”, Kevin snaps.

“We’re hungry. And they want to go to earth to get some food?”, I say confusedly, raising an eyebrow.

“No! Absolutely not! You’ve risked us enough, if anyone sees you then we’ll be exposed completely!”, Kevin growls.

“It’s not like I haven’t already considered that!”, I yell angrily. “And I was thinking about that. I’ll just wear a hoodie or something.”

“Fine,” he grumbles, slamming the door in my face. I roll my eyes, walking straight to my cottage. I noticed how our cottages were almost neighboring.

I put on a strapless, red, dress-like shirt. It ended just below my waist, with jeans and an ashy grey hoodie to cover my face. I stuff my golden blonde hair into the hood, walking out.

“Wow, you work fast.”, Brendan says, smirking.

I roll my eyes, walking past him. I knock on Jolie’s door, as she soon opens it. “Do you have any death shoes?”, I ask sarcastically.

“Umm …”

“High heels.”

“Yep, here yah go.”, Jolie says, handing me a pair of lavender colored heels. I roll my eyes, grimacing. I slip them on, glad that I wasn’t one of those really tall girls. I was probably as tall as Nina and Jolie, with the heels. And the boys were definately taller than both.

“Presentable?”, I ask as Kevin finally comes out of his “cave,” as some referred to.

“Sure, whatever,” Kevin grumbles. I smirk, doing a quick little twirl as my phone buzzes. “What is that?”, Kevin asks, glaring.

“Oh, nothing,” I say, checking it. It was a text, saying: Kelly’s Birthday!

I sigh, frowning. “Lets just get going before I change my mind and starve.”

“Here we go,” Kevin says, just as a hole appears below all of us. I listen to the wind, eyes closed, wings stretched out as I soar toward the ground. I fold my wings into my back, just as I open my eyes, realizing I was still at least five-hundred to a thousand feet in the air. I don’t scream, just fall. I land on my feet, smirking.

“Nice landing,” Ash comments, landing next to me.

“Thanks,” I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

“Where’s the nearest pizza place?”, Roxana asks excitedly.

“Oh, down town.”

“Huh?”

“Follow me,” I grumble, rolling my eyes. I redo my hair, stuffing it back into my hood. I start sprinting down the streets, keeping close to the shadows, hearing everyone follow closely.

“Pizza!”, Roxana shrieks excitedly.

“You all go ahead … I’ll be right there.”, I say dismissively, continuing to walk down the street.

“Where do you think you’re going?”, Kevin asks, grabbing my arm. I felt an electric zap go through me, like whenever there’s a lot of electricity in the air and someone touches another, but stronger. I yank my arm free, startled.

“It’s personal,” I say, glaring.

“Remember your vows, Melody.”, Kevin growls. I sigh, remembering the vow of loyalty. I chew on my lower lip, considering whether to just go, or stay around. I nod, following him into the pizza restaurant.

“Table for ten,” I hear Roxana say.

“Right this way,” I hear a man say. “Excuse me, miss, please take off your hood.”

I keep my face down, acting like I didn’t hear him. “Miss, please take your hood off.”, he says impatiently, stepping toward me.

Kevin steps in front of me, glaring at him. “You don’t need her to take off her hood.”

“It’s quite alright,” the man says dazedly. “Follow me.”

And he left me alone. I, personally, found that encounter quite odd. I’d glance at Kevin every now and again, but he was wrapped up in trying to read the menu. They all were. It was interesting to watch all these people, most likely older than me, have trouble reading a simple menu that I’ve memorized since I was five.

I look around at the simple restaurant, with red curtains on every window, and candles in the center of each table. With the always dimmed lighting, that I never quite understood why it was never fully lit. The tables with the white cloths draped over them, and the simply elegant vibe to it.

“I give up! What does it say?”, Kevin asks.

“Basically? Pizza, spaghetti, noodles, pasta, lasagna, and some soups and salads.”, I say dismissively, smirking. “I’ve spent most of my free time eating here.”

“Interesting,” Kevin says sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

“And how old are you? I’m fourteen and have had this menu memorized since I was five.”

“I’m over two hundred years old. I died when I was sixteen.”, Kevin growls.

“And you can’t read a simple menu?”

“Well, at least I don’t have to worry about anyone recognizing me.”

“Don’t blame me because my friend just so happens to be suicidal.”

“He’s your friend.”

“And he’s just upset because I frickin’ died.”, I growl through my teeth.

“Then you’re lucky.”

“Melody?!”, I hear Dylan yell. I wince, burying my head in the menu.

“He wants to talk to you.”, Ash mutters.

“Melody?”, Dylan asks, walking toward me. I sigh, setting the menu down. He runs over to me, hugging me.

“Dylan, shh! And put me down.”, I hiss. He sets him down, pulling up a seat.

“Who are these guys?”, Dylan asks, looking around.

“Nobody,” I say, hearing Roxana scoff.

“Well, what are you doing here, Mel?”

“Dylan, call me frickin’ something but Mel, Melody, or even Kitten!”, I hiss, irritated. I look at his wrists, my eyes going wide. “You frickin’ cut yourself?!”

“I miss you, Mel.”

“Shut the frickin’ up with that!”, I grumble, rolling my eyes.

“You’re my best friend, Melody. Of course I’m gonna miss you.”

“You need to stop, Dyl! You’re hurting yourself!”, I hiss angrily, lifting up his wrist. “I died yesterday, and already you’ve taken to suicide.”

Dylan just blushes, pulling down the sleeve of his black jacket lower, smiling sheepishly.

“May I take your orders?”, I hear Kelly ask. I hide my face in the menu. “Oh, Dylan! I heard about Melody! How’re yah takin’ it?”

“Hard.”

“It was so sad. But she’s with heaven and God now. Finally free to do whatever she pleases.”, Kelly says sadly, making me snicker. “Umm, who’re you?”

“Umm, Diana,” I think quickly, keeping my face hidden in the menu.

“And do you know who Melody is?”

“Umm … no?”

“Then don’t snicker about Dylan’s lost love.”, Kelly snaps. I glance up at Dylan in a glare. “So, can I get y’all’s orders?”

“We’ll just have three giant pizzas.”, Nina says, smiling softly.

“Alright, got it. What about drinks?”

And everyone went around picking out drinks. Dylan ordered for me, because he just knew me too well. As soon as Kelly left, I set the menu down.

“That was close. And remind me to send her a nice birthday card.”, I say sarcastically, earning glares from around the table. I roll my eyes, waving them off.

“You can eat?”

“Dylan …”, I whine.

“Alright! No questions!”

“Thank you!”, I say, staring down at the table as Kelly comes back with our drinks.

“Your pizzas will be here shortly.”, Kelly says, going back to who-knows-where. When she comes back, I could sense her suspicion. It was burning through my hoodie, trying to figure out why I wouldn’t look up. I refused to give in and look up, I knew what was at stake here. But Kelly wasn’t giving up so easily.

“Umm, Kelly, don’t you have something to do?”, Dylan asks, raising an eyebrow.

“It’s a slow business day.”, Kelly says absentmindedly. “And I’d like to meet Diana properly.”

“Umm …”, I think out loud nervously, receiving glares from everyone. I heard glass shatter, making all of us jump. Kelly goes running toward the back room, and I hear more class shatter. We all eat quickly, soon paying and leaving. As we left, they surrounded me in a circle, trying to hide me as well as we could. I kept my head down, briefly looking up to give directions. They walk into the Kroger, while I stay outside with Kevin.

“I need your help,” I mutter.

“With what?”

“With getting my stuff up to the cloud.”

“I’m not breaking into your house.”

“You don’t have to.”, I mutter. He raises an eyebrow at me suspiciously, and I smile sheepishly at him, and he lets it go.

“Lets just hurry,” Kevin grumbles. I smile at him, running down the streets toward my house.

On my front lawn, was everything I own, even my precious puppy and kitten. “Oh, Lily and Timber!”, I say, smiling.

“How did you know everything would be here?”

“I … texted my mom goodbye. Requesting that she put everything in the front lawn.”, I say sheepishly, feeling my cheeks burn red. “She would probably think I texted it while Dylan was in the bathroom.”

“Give me your cell phone,” Kevin growls through his teeth furiously. I sigh, handing him my iPhone. “Now stand back.”

I stepped back, watching as Kevin’s eyes closed and the silver cloud was directly above us, and a hole appears directly in the center. My stuff floats up in the air, straight into the cloud. Timber barks, growling at Kevin.

“Timber! Heal!”, I yell, franticly trying to calm him. He was running straight at Kevin, and even my frantic shouts wouldn’t make him flinch or hestitate before tackling Kevin. I was just thankful that the last of my stuff was up in the cloud, probably already into my cottage.

“Aww! Zeus!”, Kevin yells, as Timber tackles him.

“Timber! Get off of Kevin!”, I yell, trying to pull the husky off of Kevin. I finally get a good grip on his collar, yanking him off. “I am so sorry! Timber’s never this … violent. I wonder where Thunder and Lightning are … ?”, I think out loud, looking around. And sure enough, there came two more puppies and two more kittens. “Lightning, Thunder, Timber, Lily, Wood, Hazel!”, I say, smiling.

“You do know that if they come with us, they’ll be undead.”, Kevin says, standing up. Timber growls at him, and Kevin holds up his hands defensively.

“Timber!”, I growl. He backs up, baring his teeth. “Sit!”, I growl firmly. Timber whimpers, standing behind me. “There’s just one final goodbye.”, I say, tears filling my eyes.

“No! Melody, I forbid you to go off of that cloud one more time!”, Kevin growls firmly.

“Not for me. For the sweetest little girl in all of the world. I promised her that we’d see each other before we died!”, I cry, tears streaming down my face. “Sophia Grace Ochsner.”

“Sophia Grace Ochsner?”

“Yeah. She has Mitochondrial Disease. I promised I’d meet her before she died!”

“Well lets hop on that cloud and get going!!”, Kevin says, revealing a pair of wings. He grabs me by my waist, flying up. My three puppies and kittens floating up with us, to the top of the silvery cloud. Everyone was flying up, looking startled.

“What’s wrong?”, they all yell together. I shrug, looking at Kevin, who was running around excitedly.

“Elijah! Elijah!”, Kevin yells franticly.

“What?”, Elijah asks, rubbing his eyes.

“Umm, Melody has request that we go to …”

“Louisville, Kentucky. Home to the sweetest angel, Sophia Grace Ochsner. A true blessing to the human world. Quoted by her sister, who threatened to kill me herself if I broke my promises.”, I say, smiling.

“S-s-sister?”, Kevin stutters.

“We’re heading there right now.”, Elijah says, smiling. “I’m quite interested to meet the angel on earth.”

“I’m —,” Kevin starts, stopping to just shrug indifferently.

“I’ve never seen Kevin smile!”, Nina says teasingly, smirking.

“Hey! I’m not dying in this afterlife! I’m surprised I haven’t started doing a happy dance.”, I say, shrugging as I pet my kittens.

“How much would it cost for you to do that?”, Connor asks, smirking. Timber growls at him, and I smirk.

“Meet my eternity best friend.”

“Nice, doggy …”

Timber growls furiously, soon Thunder, my sweet black Labrador, was growling. I whistle, glaring. “Sit!”, I yell firmly, watching as they lie down on the cloud.

“Melody Jordan Knight, animals don’t take to kindly to mythical creatures.”, Elijah says, frowning.

“You know, that’s very interesting.”, I say sarcastically. “Our ‘angel on earth’ has two cats that are in love with her. And these few seem to like me.”, I say, smiling as I pick up Lightning, my fluffy white kitten.

“Yeah, why is that, Elijah?”, Eric asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

“The animals know Melody. They’re familiar with her. They are forever loyal to Melody alone.”

“Ain’t that right, Timber?”, I coo, scratching behind his ears. He barks, his tail wagging happily. “How ‘bout you, Lily?”, I coo, picking up the multi-colored brown-furred kitten. She meows at me, claws out as she rubs against me. “Aww!”

“Tough girl gone soft … I’m turned on again.”, Connor says, smirking. Timber growls at him, making him jump back.

“Heal!”, I yell firmly, watching as Timber sits. I yawn, smirking. “I’m gonna go to bed …”, I yawn, standing up. My puppies and kittens following me into my diamond cottage. Everything was in it already, as it was separated into different rooms. I walk into the diamond bedroom, immediately noticing the white note on the pillow. I unfold the white slip, reading it.

Dear Melody,
I love you so much. I was so sad, when you sent that text … and Dylan is torn. He keeps saying that he’s been seeing you. If you get this letter, just know that I love you, sweetie.
L♥ve,
Momme


I felt tears streaming down my face, as I went looking for my special things jewelry box. I put the letter in, sobbing. I lie down, curling myself up into a ball and crying myself to sleep with my puppies and kittens.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all who've commented! You all, honestly, are the magic within the story.

Without anyone to read
What has been written,
There is no true magic
Within each story known.


Thank you!!