It Was a Small Problem

With An Easy Solution

“No Hayley, if touring means so much to you, go ahead and leave. But I may not be here when you get back,” Cassadee snarled, glaring at hergirlfriend ex-girlfriend.

“No Cassadee, please don’t do this. You know I’d throw it all away for you!” Hayley replied back hotly, knowing she didn’t mean that last part entirely. Hayley didn’t have a clue what could have caused this sudden fight. They both knew Paramore was going back on tour. They both knew they wouldn’t be seeing each other for a while. And they both knew Hayley would be back as soon as she could.

“Oh, do I? Because I don’t Hayley. If you would throw it all away for me, you already would have,” Cassadee replied turning suddenly sad as she dropped like a rock onto the bed behind her. Hayley was once more thrown off track by this sudden mood swing. It’s not like Cassadee was PMS-ing. That happened a couple weeks ago.

“I didn’t know you wanted me to,” Hayley responded, trying her best to sound calm as she took an involuntary step towards Cassadee. She wanted to help, to resolve this, but right now Hayley didn’t know how.

“Yeah, well, I did,” Cassadee said. “Goes to show how much we really love each other,” she added, almost as an afterthought.

“But we do love each other Cass; at least, I thought we did.” Hayley trailed off before adding, “Would you just up and leave Hey Monday for me?”

“Yes,” Cassadee stated without missing a beat. She turned to look at Hayley who was staring deep into her eyes. Just staring, studying those beautiful eyes, and slowly Cassadee’s resolve crumbled.

“Okay, maybe not,” she admitted. “I just… I-“

“-Feel like you belong up there; singing your heart out on stage every night, trying to make a difference to people you’ve never met, but that someday you hope you will meet?” Hayley finished for her and Cassadee stared at her dumfounded before moving her glance to the floor. “I know what it’s like Cassadee; to have people you’ve only just seen singing their hearts out with you. It’s an unforgettable feeling, being up on that stage ramping up a crowd and bouncing around having the time of your life. It’s almost like a drug-induced high; it’s addictive. And while I would have given up this tour for you, I would have gone on a different one at some other time because I love what I do. And you know that I would feel eternally guilty if I just up and left Paramore, up and left the fans who have been with the guys and me since we started out back in Tennessee. I couldn’t live like that for long. I’d be begging the guys to take me back soon enough. We all know that,” Hayley hesitated, aware that she’d been speaking for a good two minutes without a word of interruption from Cassadee.

“Cass? Say something, please,” Hayley knelt down in front of the person she loved most, searching Cassadee’s face for some sort of sign. Cassadee looked up from the ground to meet Hayley’s gaze.

“What am I supposed to say, Hayley? You’ve said it all for me,” Cassadee paused, choosing her next words carefully. “I – I just don’t know what’s happening to me, Hayles. I mean, I was fine about the tour and everything yesterday, but today is just… different, and I don’t know why. It’s like every bad thing that could happen to you while you’re on tour hit me hard this morning when I woke up and saw you sleeping peacefully beside me. I knew that you belonged with me. I didn’t want you going on the tour and-” Cassadee paused again, unsure of how to admit something so big. “-I was scared. I was scared about losing everything, about losing you,” Cassadee turned her glance towards the floor once more.

Hayley sat there for a moment, thinking, concentrating before finding the question she needed to ask.

“What did you think would happen to me?” Hayley asked, getting up from the floor to sit beside Cassadee on the bed. Cassadee seemed to relax slightly by the sheer proximity of Hayley’s body.

“I keep thinking that you’ll find someone better than me. Maybe a guy, maybe you’ll date Josh again. All these scenarios just kept running through my mind as I watched you sleeping. You’re so beautiful and you don’t even realize it, Hayles,” Cassadee explained and Hayley wrapped a tiny arm around Cassadee’s shoulders, stretching only slightly to reach them.

“Cassadee, how do you think I feel when you go on tour with Hey Monday and I know I’ll be left here in this huge house alone?” Hayley asked before continuing on, not giving Cassadee a chance to reply. “I feel just like you do a couple days before your tour. I feel like I won’t be enough to hold you here. I think that you’ll find someone so much more worthy of you out there and you’ll forget about me. In the past year, I’ve wanted to tell you twice, but you always looked so excited about going on tour that I stopped myself. And after every tour you’ve come back to me. I had to have faith in you, Cassadee. It was hard, but I just trusted that you would come back to be with me,” Hayley took a slightly labored breath at the end of her speech.

“So, it’s not just me, then?” Cassadee asked and Hayley laughed.

“Of course not, silly!” Hayley continued to laugh as Cassadee smiled and started to tickle poor Hayley. “No, no! CASSADEE!” Hayley shrieked as Cassadee hit the most ticklish spot on her body. Cassadee sniffed slightly before grinning and stopped tickling her.

“Oh, now it’s on! It’s on like cream cheese and a bagel!” Hayley shouted as Cassadee laughed.

“It’s on like what and wh-“ Cassadee interrupted herself by screaming as Hayley pounced on her and tickled her mercilessly.

Hayley stopped after a few moments before glancing at the clock. It was almost midnight, and tomorrow Paramore would be heading out on tour again.

“Alright,” Hayley said as she climbed off of Cassadee’s stomach. “Time to go to sleep,” she announced, hiding the worry in her voice.

“No, I’m not-“ Cassadee stopped to yawn, “-tired,” she finished, knowing from the look on Hayley’s face that she knew Cassadee was lying.

“C’mon dudette,” Hayley said, dragging Cassadee off the bed and into their bathroom. “You go first,” she said as she backed away, leaving Cassadee in the bathroom alone.

Hayley changed in the bedroom while Cassadee went through her bathroom ritual before they switched. Throughout the entire routine, each thought about what had just happened between them and what it meant.

When Hayley emerged from the bathroom, Cassadee was already lying in bed, fiddling with her iPod.

“What are we listening to tonight?” Hayley asked as she walked around the bed.

“Oh, a little Jonas Brothers…” Cassadee trailed off before meeting Hayley’s astounded look as the redhead was halfway through getting into bed.

“I’m just kidding,” Cassadee laughed as Hayley let out a breath and finished getting into the bed. “I was thinking you could pick tonight because I can’t decide,” Cassadee handed Hayley the iPod. Cassadee watched her as Hayley selected a band and a song.

“I just want you to hear this song from a new perspective. We’re not actually going to listen to this band all night, I swear,” Hayley said as she put the iPod in the sound system. “Think as if it was written for you,” Hayley suggested as guitars filled the room.

I am finding out that maybe I was wrong.
That I’ve fallen down and I can’t do this alone.
Stay with me, this is what I need, please?

Sing us a song and we’ll sing it back to you
We could sing our own, but what would it be without you? Oh.

I am nothing now and it’s been so long
Since I’ve heard the sound, the sound of my only hope
This time I will be listening

Sing us a song and we’ll sing it back to you (sing it back to you)
We could sing our own, but what would it be without you? Oh.

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
This heart, it beats, beats for only you
Oh!

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours
This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours!

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours!
This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart, my heart is yours

(Please don’t go now. Please don’t fade away)
My heart is yours
(Please don’t go now. Please don’t fade away)
My heart is yours, oh
(Please don’t go. Please don’t fade away)
(Please don’t go now. Please don’t fade away)
My heart is…


Throughout the entire song, Cassadee’s facial expression didn’t change. It was still a mask of surprise and shock.

“Think as if it was written for you, Cass,” Hayley repeated before adding, “because it was.” Cassadee turned to look at Hayley, who was smiling at her.

“No way,” Cassadee murmured, shaking her head.

“Uh, yes way,” Hayley giggled a little before choosing a different artist from the iPod’s selection. She settled on Sunny Day Real Estate and soon Killed By An Angel wafted from the speakers.

Cassadee was still in slight shock from such a reveal on Hayley’s part.

“Thanks, Hayles,” she said, leaning forward to kiss Hayley’s cheek. Hayley moved her head so that Cassadee kissed her lips instead. It was a quick, innocent little peck, but they stayed within an inch of each other afterwards.

“Sneaky,” Cassadee feigned anger as they moved their bodies closer together.

“You love it,” Hayley smirked and Cassadee smiled in response.

“True enough,” she conceded before resting her forehead on Hayley’s.

“Love you,” Hayley whispered just as Cassadee opened her mouth.

“Hey! Don’t steal my lines!” Cassadee laughed. “Love you, too,” she said and Hayley kissed her nose. Cassadee wrinkled it out of habit.

“Goodnight,” Hayley said as she shimmied closer towards the foot of the bed until she was lying down.

“Goodnight,” Cassadee mimicked before copying Hayley even more by shimmying down into bed. Soon enough, eyes closed. Cassadee fell asleep facing Hayley, who was staring at her face. Hayley rolled onto her back, mind whirling about how to make this better. She didn’t want Cassadee worrying that she would move on. That was impossible. Hayley would always love Cassadee, even when Cass discovered that Hayley wasn’t good enough for her.

Hayley laid there for an hour, thoughts swirling when an idea came to her. She couldn’t believe how simple it was; how easy it would be to do. She almost laughed at her own stupidity for not thinking of it sooner. She glanced at the clock. It was only one in the morning. All the guys would still be up.

She looked over at Cassadee sleeping peacefully before slowly sliding out of bed. Quietly, she stepped along the wooden floor to the door. Easing it open, she slipped through the narrow doorway and into the hall. She walked down to the last door on the left and walked straight in, closing the door behind her. After turning on the light, she moved across the room and sat in the desk chair. She picked the telephone receiver from the base and dialed a number she knew by heart.

“Hey!” a carefree voice spoke loudly into her ear.

“Hey, Taylor,” she responded, a smile automatically appearing on her face.

“Hey Hayley! What’s up?” another male voice asked.

“Hey Jeremy,” Hayley laughed as Taylor told Jeremy to leave him alone. “No, Taylor, don’t send him away! I needed to ask the both of you something,” she said and Taylor grumbled in the background.

“Thanks, Hayley,” Jeremy said.

“What did you need to ask us?” the two boys asked at once.

“Would it be okay if I brought someone on tour with us?” Hayley inquired, feeling scared they’d say no.

“Of course! Who is it?” they replied at the same time. “Stop stealing my lines!” they spoke over each other once more. Hayley could hear the two of them trying to slap each other through the phone.

“Don’t hit each other!” Hayley reprimanded the two of them before adding, “It’s Cassadee.”

“Oh sure, no problemo,” Taylor responded. “Anything else?”

“Umm, I don’t think so… Wait. You know how we made our set list yesterday?” Hayley suddenly got another, even better idea.

“Uh yeah, what about it?” this time Jeremy was the one to talk.

“Is it cool with you guys if we add another song onto the end? Like, instead of ending with Brick By Boring Brick, we just add My Heart to the end?” Hayley did her best to keep her voice low; she didn’t want Cassadee waking up in the middle of the night.

“I guess, it doesn’t really matter to me. Why that song though?” Jeremy responded again.

“I was hoping to drag Cassadee on stage to duet with me and Josh,” Hayley paused to laugh. “That doesn’t make any sense does it? I meant that I was hoping she could sing some of my lines and Josh would keep doing his thing, the fans love his screaming,” Hayley corrected herself while the two boys laughed.

“Sure thing Hayles, you know we’re here for you,” Taylor finally got a word in.

“Excellent, I’ve just got to call the Farro bros. See you tomorrow at 1pm sharp!” Hayley just had time to hear the boys say goodbye before she ended the call. Hayley took a few deep breaths to calm her racing heart. The adrenaline flow from this sneaky business was exhilarating. As she picked up the phone and began to dial Zac’s number, she found herself turning on the computer.

“Farro Bar and Grill, how may I serve you this… morning?” Zac’s voice pierced her eardrums.

“Hey Zac, is your brother around? I need to ask you two something,” Hayley spoke quickly before taking another deep breath to calm herself.

“Sure, I think he’s in the kitchen. He never stops eating, I swear,” Zac’s voice turned somewhat disgruntled. He was always mad that Josh could eat anything and never gain an ounce. Whereas the rest of us hit the gym in pretty much every city we were in.

“You’re on speaker phone with the Farros,” Josh’s voice came over the phone moments later. Hayley clicked on her username on the computer before replying.

“Yo, dudes, I got a couple questions for yas,” Hayley said before clicking on the My Documents folder on her desktop.

“Shoot,” both Farros replied.

“One, can Cassadee come on tour with us?” Hayley asked, opening up a special slideshow. She paused it to finish her conversation with the two boys.

“Sure thing, although she will be sharing your bunk,” the two boys laughed at Zac’s comment. Josh mumbled something to Zac that Hayley couldn’t quite catch. However, Zac’s very intense laugh session right after let Hayley know the topic of Josh’s comment.

“Wow guys, very mature,” Hayley rolled her eyes before continuing, “Anyway, can we add My Heart to the very end of our set list?” she asked knowing that Josh would totally be up for it. He loved screaming.

“Oh yeah! Of course!” Josh answered first much to Zac’s amusement. Hayley chuckled along with Zac, who was laughing in the background.

“Awesome. Can we get Cassadee on stage to sing it with us?” Hayley’s hand lingered on the mouse as the conversation was drawing to a close.

“Do I still get to scream?” Josh asked, sounding worried.

“Of course. The fans love your screaming,” Hayley responded as she leaned back in the desk chair.

“Then hell yeah!” Josh yelled, Zac chimed in with a “Woo!”

“Alright you crazy bros, I gotta get to sleep. You two should as well,” Hayley told them sternly, laughing on the inside knowing their next words.

“Yes, Mother,” the two replied in sync.

“Haha, okay, goodbye!” Hayley placed the receiver back on the base. She hit the mouse button to play the slideshow and selected ‘loop’ before rolling her chair back against the wall to watch it. She flicked off the light before settling herself comfortably in her chair. The slideshow’s name was “I Kissed A Girl And I Liked It” featuring the two girls.

The first picture was Hayley and Cassadee sitting on the grass at the Franklin High School grounds. The second was the two of them lying on their bed after an exhausting day of moving crap into their new house.

As Hayley watched all eighty of these photos, she realized how far she and Cassadee had come to make it here. She fell asleep halfway through the second loop.

Cassadee’s arm stretched out beside her, ready to meet the warm knee of Hayley, except she wasn’t there. Cassadee groaned and turned her head to where the redhead should've been and opened her eyes.

Oh no, where has she gone now? Did she already leave for tour without saying goodbye? Is this where I find a note in the kitchen saying she was marrying Josh? What’s going on? Cassadee’s sleep-muddled mind ran through different scenarios. She sighed slightly before getting out of bed to look for her, already dismissing the idea of Hayley marrying Josh as her mind became clearer.

Her soft footsteps made almost no sound as she left the bedroom and wandered down the hall. She stopped outside the den, watching the lights flicker from underneath the door. She moved her hand to rest on the knob before taking a light breath. Her fingers twisted the knob and she used her whole body to ease the door open quietly.

The computer screen contributed all of the light in the room. Cassadee paid it no heed, looking around to find Hayley curled up in the desk chair, facing the screen, sound asleep. Cassadee let out a breathless laugh before walking over to Hayley and planting a light kiss on her forehead. She turned her attention to the screen in front of them.

Cassadee’s arm was wrapped around Hayley’s shoulders in front of the Warped Tour sign on screen. That was probably taken in Cincinnati, Cassadee thought as the picture changed. Hayley’s arms were around Cassadee’s neck as they kissed one last time in front of Paramore’s tour bus. Last year, right before the Europe tour, we were saying goodbye for almost six months. We both started crying at the end of that kiss. Cassadee couldn’t help the sad feelings enveloping her as she watched the slideshow.

She walked toward the screen, letting out another breathless laugh as she read the name. That’s such a Hayley thing to do, Cassadee thought. Naming a slideshow after a song. Cassadee took it off loop, deciding that she’d watch the rest of the slideshow at some other time. She’d have plenty of time once Hayley was gone again.

She looked at Hayley who was looking peaceful in her chair before walking over to her.

“Upsy Daisy, Hayley,” Cassadee whispered as she hooked her left arm behind Hayley’s back and her right arm underneath Hayley’s knees. Hayley let out a soft sigh as her body was lifted into the air. Cassadee lifted her with ease before walking out of the room and back to their bedroom. If it was anyone else, Cassadee may not have been able to get them back there, but Hayley was so light, Cassadee barely even felt it.

Slowly, Cassadee drew back the covers on Hayley’s side of the bed before placing the sleeping girl on the sheets and drawing the covers back over her. Immediately, Hayley turned onto her side so she was facing the direction where Cassadee slept. Cassadee smiled at this before moving to her side of the bed and sliding in. She turned over to face Hayley, studying her face before shuffling closer and wrapping her arm around Hayley’s waist. She fell asleep moments later.

Hayley woke up at ten surprised to find herself in bed instead of snuggled in her desk chair. She looked over at Cassadee and knew the brunette with blondish streaks had carried her here. She placed a soft kiss on Cassadee’s cheek before getting out of bed and going to the bathroom for her morning ritual.

Once she was dressed, she stayed in the closet and she pulled the three-quarters full suitcase from behind a rack of clothes and started piling more stuff in. Ten minutes later, she headed for the bathroom to get her toiletries and piled them on top. She also walked around the house, grabbing random stuff to put in before heading back up to the bedroom. Once she placed everything in the case, she closed it and rolled it quietly down the hall to the top of the stairs.

When she got back to the bedroom, Cassadee was still asleep, so Hayley went into Cassadee’s closet and grabbed another suitcase. She tossed stuff in that would look good on Cass and other stuff she knew Cassadee couldn’t go without. Soon enough it was almost full. She went back into the bedroom to grab a couple of Cassadee’s favourite possessions and popped them into the case. It was getting near twelve, so Hayley decided to wake Cassadee and get her into the shower.

“Cassadee,” Hayley called from the closet. She waited several moments before poking her head out and called again. “Cassadee!” Hayley started walking towards Cassadee’s sleeping frame. Hayley sat on the bed before lightly nudging Cassadee’s shoulder with her hand.

“Wake up, dude,” Hayley said as she shook Cassadee with both hands. A disgruntled sigh from Cass was all the response she got. “You cheeky little devil,” Hayley exclaimed seeing the slight twitch of Cassadee’s lips. The faking girl was trying not to smile. “Alright, you win,” Hayley sigh and bent over to kiss Cassadee’s cheek. Cassadee’s eyes flew open.

“Good morning, Spongy,” Cassadee laughed as Hayley pouted from the remark. “Aww, don’t pout, Hayley,” Cassadee said as she pecked Hayley’s cheek. “There, all better,” Cassadee smiled and Hayley grinned in response.

“Alright you, get into the shower,” Hayley instructed, climbing off the bed and walking to Cassadee’s side. Hayley grabbed hold of one of Cassadee’s arms and pulled lightly. Cassadee turned over and sighed before getting out of bed. Hayley pushed her towards the bathroom.

“What’s your hurry, Murray?” Cassadee giggled and Hayley smiled in response.

“There’s only an hour left before the tour bus gets here,” Hayley reminded her and Cassadee sobered up at once. Cass nodded somberly before entering the bathroom for her usual routine.

She’ll be fine after she finds out, Hayley told herself, trying not to follow Cassadee to cheer her up. She wanted it to be a surprise. Hayley went back to Cassadee’s closet and grabbed some clothes for her to wear so that she wouldn’t go wandering through her closet. She placed the outfit on the bed before rolling Cassadee’s suitcase under the bed.

Hayley sat on the bed and debated about how to tell her other half about the plan. I could leave her suitcase out in plain sight and tell her when she comes out of the bathroom or I could finish packing her things on my own without her knowledge and pretend to girlfriend-nap her when the bus pulls up. I think I like option number two, Hayley thought and decided.

Cassadee emerged a few minutes later, make-up free with reddish tinged skin. Hayley knew she’d been under really hot water trying not to cry and that Cass chose not to wear make-up because she was going to start the waterworks once Hayley was out of sight, if not sooner.

Hayley offered her a small smile as her resolve to wait for the bus started to fall apart. She didn’t like causing pain to the person she loved. Hayley changed her mind as she patted the spot beside her on the bed. Cassadee shuffled over and sat beside Hayley, wrapping an arm around Hayley’s waist automatically. Hayley rested her head on Cassadee’s shoulder and wrapped both arms around Cassadee in a hug.

“Cass,” Hayley whispered and the brunette looked down at Hayley. “Would you like to come on tour with me and the guys?” Hayley asked, letting a big smile overflow her face as Cassadee looked taken aback.

“Really?” Cassadee inquired, hoping that this was not a dream; hoping that this was reality. Her reality.

“Really,” Hayley confirmed, her heart swelling as she moved off the bed to drag Cassadee’s suitcase out from under the bed. “I managed to pack a lot of your stuff this morning, but the rest you’ll have to do in,” Hayley paused to glance at the clock. “Ten minutes,” Hayley concluded as Cassadee jumped up and started racing around, grabbing stuff to put in the case. Hayley let out a small laugh as she watched the girl of her dreams scurrying around the room.

A horn honked outside and Cassadee stopped cold before turning to Hayley in worry.

“It’s okay, Cassadee, finish up, but be quick,” Hayley told her before heading out of the bedroom and into the hallway. She grabbed her suitcase and lugged it down the stairs and to the front door. When she opened it, Josh and Zac were already waiting.

“Hey Hayles!” Zac said as he grabbed the suitcase out of her hands.

“Thanks buddy,” Hayley said, patting him on the head.

“So, is Cassadee coming?” Josh asked, looking around and not finding her.

“Yeah, she’s upstairs grabbing a few last minute things,” Hayley explained as Cassadee hurtled down the stairs, suitcase in hand.

“Hey guys,” she exclaimed, breathless as Josh took her suitcase from her.

“Wow Hayley, when did you tell her?” Zac asked as he hopped up the steps to the front door.

“Er… fifteen minutes ago,” Hayley admitted sheepishly. Josh and Zac looked at her like she was from Mars.

“So wait, you have no problem calling us in the middle of the night to ask us about whether or not it’s okay with us if Cassadee can come, even though we might have been asleep,” Josh paused as Hayley glared at him. “But you won’t tell her until the last minute?” Zac finished for Josh. Hayley looked like a deer in the headlights, eyes wide, mouth slightly agape.

“You called them in the middle of the night?” Cassadee interjected and Hayley turned to face her.

“You were asleep and I knew they’d be up,” Hayley muttered, glaring at Josh and Zac.

“Yo, guys, let’s chat on the bus or we’re going to be late,” Jeremy called from the door of the bus and they all sighed before marching toward the huge vehicle. Josh brought Cassadee’s suitcase on to the bus and tossed it underneath Hayley’s bunk. Hayley stopped in front of her bunk, suddenly remembering the sleeping arrangements.

“Right, uh, we have to share a bunk, Cass,” Hayley said before turning to the Farros. “Don’t even think about saying what you’re thinking,” she warned before turning back to Cassadee, who was laughing.

“It’s okay, Hayles, sharing a bunk is better than being in that house all alone,” Cassadee admitted. Cassadee jumped onto the bunk. “So, where are we headed guys?” she asked from her back. Hayley and the guys exchanged glances.

“Uh, that’s a good question. Jer-bear?” Hayley called out and Jeremy popped up from the couch to join the band.

“Yeah, Sponge Bob?” Jeremy grinned as Hayley glared at him.

“Where are we going on this wonderful journey from Franklin?” Cassadee asked, taking over for Hayley who sat on the bed in front of her.

“I think we’re heading to Montgomery. We should be there just in time for a six o’clock show without rehearsal,” Jeremy answered. Hayley looked at him strangely.

“No rehearsal?” Hayley clarified and Jeremy nodded.

“Apparently, they don’t think we need a rehearsal so they’re opening the doors at 5:30. We won’t be there much before then,” Taylor interrupted, emerging from the kitchen with a sandwich in his hands.

“Oh my God, I want one!” Josh shouted as he tackled Taylor into a bunk.

“No! Get off! My sandwich! Go make your own!” Taylor yelled, fighting Josh off with his feet. Jeremy and Zac had collapsed into a different bunk, laughing their asses off as the two boys fought over Taylor’s sandwich. Hayley had pulled Cassadee into a sitting position to watch the scrap.

“Ah, and so, tour life begins,” Hayley sighed before chuckling.

“Is it always like this?” Cassadee inquired, resting her chin on Hayley’s shoulder.

“Pretty much. Josh hates making his own food. He’s always trying to steal other people’s,” Hayley explained as the boys quieted down. Taylor apparently stuffed the entire thing into his mouth right before Josh accidentally hit him really hard in the stomach. So, Josh got the sandwich after all. All over his shirt and face.

“Aw, dude, that’s gross!” Josh complained picking lettuce off of his nose.

“You started it! If you had just left me alone I would’ve been full and you wouldn’t be wearing my precious sandwich!” Taylor huffed before walking back into the kitchen.

“I bet he’s making another one,” Josh said before smiling evilly and sneaking into the kitchen.

“No! Get away! You know how this ended last time!” Taylor shouted, causing everyone by the bunks to laugh. Hayley glanced over at Cassadee just in time to see the taller girl yawn.

“Do you want to take a nap?” Hayley asked her. Cassadee needed to be well-rested to sing tonight, even if she didn’t know it yet.

“Mmm, yeah,” Cassadee nodded. “But only if you take one with me,” she smirked and Hayley laughed.

“You know I will,” Hayley replied before getting off the bed. “I’ll be right back,” she informed Cassadee before following Jeremy and Zac to the kitchen where another food fight was underway.

“Guys, I’m heading in for a nap. Please wake me whenever we get there, okay?” Hayley asked the group at large. Jeremy and Zac said sure while Taylor and Josh ignored her and fought over the third sandwich. Taylor was wearing the remains of the second, it seemed. Hayley headed back to her bunk, shaking her head as she went. Boys and food. I’m surprised they didn’t ask me or Cass to make them a sandwich. It’s like the biggest accomplishment a guy can achieve, right? Getting a girl to make them food. Hayley banished the thought, smiled and shook her head again before climbing into her bunk beside Cassadee and closing the curtain.

Cassadee’s back was pressed against the side of the bus and Hayley’s back brushed against the scratchy curtain, but neither of them ever felt more comfortable than they did at that moment. Arms wrapped around each other, foreheads pressed together. Cassadee kissed Hayley before they each fell asleep.

“Dude, they look so cute!” Josh whispered and Zac nodded his head in agreement. The two brothers had pulled back the curtain a little to watch the two sleep just after the bus came to a stop in Montgomery.

“What the hell are you two doing?” Jeremy asked from the front of the bus. Both Josh and Zac turned to him and shushed him, gesturing to the sleeping girls. Jeremy beckoned to Taylor who had already stepped inside and the two walked to the Farros to see what was going on.

“Wow, they really are cute together, aren’t they?” Jeremy stated more than asked in a low voice.

“Yeah, but if they ever catch us we’re so dead,” Taylor reminded them. The four exchanged a glance, but didn’t move away.

“Aren’t we supposed to wake them up?” Jeremy inquired and Zac pouted.

“But – but they’re so cute! We can’t just wake them up!” he retorted heatedly. By now, Hayley and Cassadee were slowly waking up with all the voices by their bed.

“Dude, we have to! We’ve got to unload and stuff ‘cause we’re on stage in fifteen minutes!” Jeremy replied. Hayley opened one eye and realized that it wasn’t a dream. The boys were actually outside her bunk, talking very loudly.

“You have two seconds before I come out there and I better not see anyone lurking by our bunk,” Hayley warned, sleep making her voice sound slightly raspy. The boys stood up from their crouched positions and high-tailed it down the bus and out onto the street. Hayley smirked as Cassadee opened her eyes to stare at Hayley.

“Time to get up?” Cassadee yawned and stretched slightly.

“Yeah,” Hayley replied, slipping her legs off the bed and then the rest of her body. She helped Cassadee out as well.

The two walked closely through the bus and out the door. The four boys rushed away from the door and pretended to be busy unloading stuff.

“I already saw you guys. I didn’t know you all had such a cute, sweet side,” Hayley grinned and the boys started coughing and defending their manliness. Hayley and Cassadee rolled their eyes before grabbing a couple things from the bus to take into the venue.

It didn’t take too long to get all the equipment out and set up thanks to all the practice they’d had and ten minutes later, they were all being wired up to go out on stage. Josh fiddled with his guitar, making sure it was in tune while Zac pretended to bang drums as he jogged in one place. Taylor played his guitar a bit and Jeremy picked at his bass a little. Hayley on the other hand had talked Cassadee into doing some vocal warm ups together and they were laughing in a corner by the stairs to the stage.

“You’re going to chill out here, right?” Hayley checked with Cassadee who said that yes, she would be there throughout the show.

The strobe lights flashed on stage, signaling Paramore’s entrance. No intro band, just them.

“I’ll see you in a bit,” Hayley promised Cassadee as she ran up the stage stairs to join the guys on stage. She lingered with a tech guy from the venue who was asked to send a message to the lighting crew. Cassadee didn’t know what the talk was about, but the curtain was pulled away and the band launched into Emergency.

Cassadee watched the band perform their hearts out, head banging and jumping around the stage. Hayley looked at her several times throughout the show, sending her a secret smile. Cassadee always smiled back and waved from her spot on the stairs.

“So, I hate to tell all of you, but we’re down to our last song of the night,” Hayley said sadly and the crowd replied with 'aww’s'. “But don’t worry,” Hayley continued, moving towards the center of the stage. “Our last song for you tonight is very special because a very special person is here to perform it with us,” Hayley stated, looking directly at Cassadee. Cassadee mouthed an ‘oh no’ to Hayley but Hayley just grinned at her.

“Our last song is My Heart, and Cassadee Pope from Hey Monday is here to sing it with us!” Hayley exclaimed loudly into her mic as the light technician pointed a spotlight near Cassadee’s hideout. She sighed, knowing she’d have to go out there. A smile graced her face as Hayley continued to look at her, grinning. A tech came up to her and pressed a microphone into her hand.

“You do realize, Hayley, that you are so dead, right?” Cassadee told her girlfriend as the crowd shouted with pleasure at the sight of her and Hayley on stage.

“Yeah, I know, but it’ll be worth it,” the lights fluttered before Hayley continued. “Hey, Josh, Zac, let’s start it up!” she shouted and jumped towards the front of the stage. She really knew how to amp up the crowd.

Guitars filled the entire room as the drums kicked in and the bass picked up.

“I am finding out that maybe I was wrong. That I’ve fallen down and I can’t do this alone. Stay with me, this is what I need please,” Hayley sang the first part, rocking slightly to the music, then nodded to Cassadee.

“Sing us a song and we’ll sing it back to you. We could sing our own, but what would it be without you, oh!” Cassadee and Hayley sang together, standing a few feet apart on the stage.

“I am nothing now. And it’s been so long since I’ve heard a sound; the sound of my only hope. This time I will be listening,” Cassadee sung by herself. Hayley was head banging with the guys in time with the beat.

“Sing us a song and we’ll sing it back to you. We could sing our own, but what would it be without you, oh!” the two sang together once more, Cassadee started moving around the stage more freely, following Hayley’s lead. Hayley made the motion for Cassadee to stop singing along.

“This heart, it beats, beats for only you. This heart, it beats, beats for only you. My heart is yours, oh,” Hayley sang directly to Cassadee before turning her attention back to the crowd in front. She nodded at Cass again as Josh started to scream his part, enjoying every second of it.

“This heart, it beats, beats for only you. My heart is yours. This heart, it beats, beats for only you. My heart is yours. This heart, it beats, beats for only you. My heart, my heart is yours,” Cassadee stopped when Hayley motioned and Hayley took over.

“My heart is yours. My heart is yours. My heart is,” Hayley held the note as the lights went out and she walked over to Cassadee. “Yours,” Hayley whispered straight into her ear before kissing Cassadee right on the lips in the middle of the stage. They broke apart just in time for the lights to come back on.

“Thank you Montgomery!” the entire band waved and walked off stage. Cassadee followed close behind.

“You know, Hayley,” Cassadee said as she pulled Hayley away from the band for a moment. The look in her eye told the guys she’d bring Hayley right back. “I think you’ve got it wrong,” she told the redhead. Hayley looked at her strangely.

“I got what wrong?” Hayley asked, semi-confused.

“Your heart isn’t mine,” Cassadee explained. “My heart is yours,” she informed the slightly shorter girl and smiled.

Hayley smiled back before kissing Cassadee again. “Come on, let’s go rejoin the guys and meet some fans out back,” Hayley suggested, grabbing onto Cassadee’s hand and escorting her back to the main room. The boys were unplugging guitars and putting stuff back where it belonged when they walked in.

“Wanna go meet some fans?” Hayley asked the group and they all agreed wholeheartedly, Zac led the way to the back of the building.

Hayley chilled with all the people back there, taking photos and signing posters. If Cassadee hadn’t pulled her away after an hour and a half, a little while after all the guys had called it quits to pack up so they could get back on the road, Hayley would probably still be out there, giving back to all the people who helped get Paramore to where they are.

That’s how Cassadee and the entire band saw her. A person who believed in God, who didn’t take things for granted. Someone who loves what she does, not the money she gets from it. The person who has flaws, but lives life to the fullest in spite of them. The person who gets out of bed every day ready to do something else, something worth doing.

That’s who Cassadee and the rest of the world fell in love with.

And that’s who shared her bunk with Cassadee, holding her tight.

That’s who Cassadee said, “I love you,” to for the first time and meant every word with every fibre of her being.

Hayley Williams was the girl who whispered that same statement right back, meaning every word with every part of her for the first time ever. She’s the girl who knew deep down in her heart that there was no place else she’d rather be than with her best friend, her everything, and her girlfriend.

That night, Hayley and Cassadee fell asleep in a small bunk on a tour bus full of guys. Their arms and legs were intertwined, wrapped up in each other, perfectly content with the world.

“Hey guys, they’re asleep again,” Josh called form the bunk end of the bus. The other boys rushed to meet him.

“How do you know? The curtain’s still closed, you twit,” Zac smacked the back of his brother’s head. Josh scowled at him before softly opening the curtain. There was a piece of paper, torn out of Hayley's tour journal.

Watch us sleep again, you creepers, and I will never help you coordinate your stage outfits again.

Almost needless to say, the boys didn’t even look at each other before closing the curtain.

“Harsh,” Jeremy commented before entering the kitchen.

“Yeah,” the rest of the guys agreed as they went into their little living room section. Jeremy was trying his best to be quiet while he constructed his ritualistic after-gig sandwich. Josh’s ears perked up.

“Is that the sound of a mayo jar being opened?” he wondered aloud. Jeremy looked at his sandwich frantically, trying to find a place to hide it.

“Restrain him!” he instructed the other guys and Taylor and Zac pinned Josh to the couch as Jeremy finished making his sandwich. He cut it into three.

“Thanks, buds,” Jeremy said as he chomped down on his portion. Josh had given up. He was lying limply under Taylor’s arms and Zac’s legs. Jeremy emerged from the kitchen and nodded behind him.

“There’s two pieces there for you two,” he informed them. They both jumped up as Josh was forgotten. “Oh no,” Jeremy said, unable to stop Josh’s charging body from reaching the kitchen. “Look out, guys!” he tried to warn the other two, but to no avail.

Josh emerged from the kitchen a few minutes later. The kitchen was a mess, Zac and Taylor were covered in mayo, but Josh sat down on the couch happily.

He finally got his sandwich.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... Fanfiction isn't really my usual 'thing'. I usually don't like doing fanfiction because people already see these role models and celebrities in a certain light and they get upset if someone portrays them in an entirely different way.
Nevertheless, this is how I see Hayley Williams and how I think the rest of the world sees her.
My opinion is probably incongruent with yours, but whatever.

I know this seems outrageously long. Obnoxiously long even, but I had to write until the story ended. And, well, the story ended with Josh. I don't know why... these things just happen.

What else did I wanna say here? Oh yeah, this was written in partial for Collyre who requested that my next oneshot/contest entry feature a slash or femmeslash relationship.

Patrick Stump is the lucky (or not so lucky) recipient of such a thing.

Speaking of obnoxiously long, this author's note is far too long so I'm just gonna sign off now.
Hope you enjoyed the story at any rate :)