Welcome to Ruby City

One

Dorothy ran, shoving her way through low hanging branches. It was dark and cold and the Scarecrow was no longer with her. The young girl’s dress was torn and her arms and legs were scraped by the grabbing sticks and stones. Toto was barking far ahead of her. She had to catch up to him. She had to, so she picked up her pace as much as she could. She could see a light in the distance, and in the light she saw the silhouette of Toto. He was barking as if to say, “Hurry, Dorothy!”

“Toto!” she called, “I’m coming!”

The girl burst through the overgrowth and tumbled over her feet and to her knees. She pitched forward, nearly hitting her little Toto, taking a tumble down the grassy hill. Toto skidded down after her, dodging the hand basket which flew from her grip. Dorothy came to lie at the bottom of the hill, aching all over.

“Toto,” she mumbled, she could not focus on her little friend and soon slipped into unconsciousness.

The little brown dog began to yap at his owner, sniffling around her hands and face. When she would not stir Toto lay down beside her and placed his chin on his paws, just waiting for her to wake. The snap of a twig alerted Toto to a dark mass in the distance and he let out a growl. The mass came closer and turned to be a figure on two legs. It over shadowed the young girl and her doggy guard. Toto growled once more, but the figure would not back down.

A hand reached out to touch the girl, but Toto whipped into action and sank his teeth into the flesh. A very male yell rang out and the man swung his arm to rid the dog. Toto detached himself from the man’s hand and rolled to the ground, quick to his feet again. He bore his teeth and growled, dead set on protecting his girl.

The man shrugged off his coat and swung it in front of him, taunting the dog. Reacting like any good dog, Toto rushed forward at the man and jumped at him, only to be wrapped and muffled by the man’s coat. The dog squirmed and yapped, but could not get free. The man tackled the dog and tied the coat so he wouldn’t be able to run. After handling the dog he turned to the still unconscious young girl. This world was no place for the likes of her.