Status: hiatus.

It's Worse Than You Think

Marshall

It’s got to be around eight, and it’s dark and freezing. The weather definitely wasn’t setting the mood or whatever for the kind of evening that we’re supposed to be having. It’s Max’s twenty first birthday today.

Honestly, I’m not even completely sure he wants Zeke and I there. Finn’s the one that mentioned the whole thing to us. But seriously, it’s at a bar. I get that he can drink now, how fucking fantastic and classy of you Max, but come on.

I took Zeke’s hand in mine, and watched him smile softly out of the corner of my eye. I don’t think that I’ll ever tire of the sight. He’s perfect to me, I can’t get over it.

“I can’t even drink here,” I grumbled to him as we walked down the sidewalk.

He raised an eyebrow, turning to look at me. “You drink?”

I paused, “No, but even if I wanted to, I’m not old enough. It’s principle, really.” Zeke laughed loud at that, shaking his head.

We headed into the bar, I didn’t even catch the name because I was so disgusted by everything. I tightened the grip I had on Zeke, not wanting to lose him in the crowd of obese forty year olds. The scent of beer and body odor hit me as soon as we got three feet in the door, and I noticed immediately how uncomfortable Zeke was.

He gazed uneasily at every drunk ass person we passed, and walked closer to me. I let go of our hands so I could slip an arm around his waist. He’s so fucking tall, Jesus. We’ve got to look at least somewhat ridiculous next to one another.

Zeke glanced down at me, his face apologetic even though he had no reason to be. “Sorry. I forgot how much I don’t like places like this.”

“That’s okay, I don’t either.”

And I really don’t. Once my mom started drinking, I couldn’t stand being around alcohol. I’m not going to lie, I may have partook in some underage drinking with Blake every once in a while. I liked it, I was in fucking high school, it was the summer, it was fun. Whatever. But once I saw what it did to her, the thought of consuming anything scared me. I’m not scared of much, but I don’t want what happened to her happen to me.

But I don’t blame Zeke. He’s way too fucking innocent and gorgeous for a place like this. I don’t want to be here, I don’t want him to be here.

We moved towards the back, and I saw Finn and Max almost right away, sitting next to two other guys who I didn’t recognize. How great.

“Zeke! Marshall!” Finn blurted out once he saw us, and I smirked a little at how drunk he already was. I don’t peg Finn as a big drinker though, probably only for special occasions or something. “You’re finally here. Alright,” he paused, gesturing to the strangers, “This is Adrian, and that’s Jason. And that’s Max.” He busted out in laughter after that, and Zeke rolled his eyes.

“Happy Birthday,” I told the younger brother, and he nodded stiffly.

“Thank you.” His voice was dead, not at all how it was when I talked to him last at the coffee shop, when it was just us. That bothered me, and kind of pissed me off.

“Yeah, Happy Birthday,” Zeke said, and Max merely glanced at him before turning away to talk to Jason.

Hurt flashed across my boyfriend’s face, but he quickly masked it by smiling at something Finn was blabbering about. I hate how Max is towards him. I honestly don’t get why he’s such a dick, but I’m getting tired of it. Whatever it is, he needs to get over it.

This whole thing is just great, though. By the looks of it, that guy Jason is already drunk out of his mind and Finn is completely oblivious as to how fucking weird all of this is.

“I’ll be right back!” Finn shouted, grinning, and I nodded while groaning internally.

Adrian stood up as soon as Finn was out of sight, and moved over to Zeke and I. I scanned over him, he had longer dark blond hair and was tall, taller than Zeke actually. To be honest, I didn’t find him the least bit attractive; he kind of gives me the fucking creeps the more I look at him.

“You’re Zeke?” he asked, “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

I watched as they shook hands, and Zeke offered a hesitant smile. We both seemed to be thinking the same thing: what the hell was that supposed to mean? With anyone else I probably wouldn’t have thought anything of it, but he was friends with Max, and I can only imagine what shit he’s said about him.

“It’s nice to meet you, Adrian.” Jesus, Zeke. Are you ever not nice?

Both of their hands dropped to their sides, and that’s when I noticed him giving my boyfriend the not so discreet once over. My nostrils flared when his lust filled eyes lingered on Zeke’s upper thighs, and the slight bulge he had from his skinny jeans. Thank fucking God Zeke wasn’t paying any attention, because it would make him feel embarrassed. I, however, was started to get pissed, so I cleared my throat and immediately they looked at me.

“I think we’re going to get our own booth,” I commented casually. They both looked confused, but I could care less what Adrian has to feel about anything. I can just explain it to Zeke later.

Before we could turn to leave, Adrian gripped my forearm, and I shot a glare at him, shaking him off. “Wait! Why would you do that? You’re here for Max.” He took a seat, and pulled Zeke and I in next to him, across from Max and Jason.

This is such bullshit. I feel like I’m complaining too much and maybe I’m just being cranky, but I don’t like any of this.

“So, how do you guys know the little birthday boy?” Adrian asked, leaning over to pat Max’s shoulder.

“Get off me,” he growled. “I’m going to find Finn.” His eyes darted up to meet mine for a split second before sliding out of the booth. Adrian laughed, and ran a hand through his hair.

“Are you okay?” Zeke murmured in my ear, giving me a quick kiss underneath my jaw.

I nodded, shivering at the feeling of his lips, even though I was lying.

Why did I actually feel safer with Max here? I mean, I don’t fucking know these guys. It’s kind of awkward too, because all three of us are squeezed in one side, while Jason’s chugging drinks across from all of us. Adrian was staring, and I realized that he had asked a question.

“We’re friends with his older brother. What about you?”

“I went to school with him,” he answered easily.

We sat in silence, and I zoned out, staring at Jason. Doesn’t he know what he’s doing to himself? I almost want to say something, but I know I’d never be able to. I don’t know why, either.

Zeke flinched suddenly, his body jerking back into the seat. His entire face turned bright red, and he licked his lips. Before I could ask what the hell was going on, he started poking at my side so I would get up, his eyes casted away from all of us.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, once we had moved more towards the bathrooms.

“Nothing,” he tried, “I-I”

“Zeke, come on.”

He bit down hard on his bottom lip, and I didn’t like how he couldn’t look at me. It was making me nervous. “He g-grabbed me.”

I growled, my entire body stiffening. “What?”

“I, Adrian’s hand ran up my thigh, and he… grabbed me through my jeans. But Marshall, it’s no big deal! We can just leave, or-”

Fucking hell. I walked over to our booth after telling Zeke to stay where he was, fuming. So many things were running through my mind, and I couldn’t decide what bits I wanted to actually act on. “You’re fucking disgusting.” He simply smirked, which wasn’t helping, an amused expression reflecting off of his eyes. “You have no decency, just going around, feeling people up.”

“I didn’t know that what I do concerns you,” he returned, raising an eyebrow.

“It does when he’s my fucking boyfriend!” I snarled.

“I never saw your name on him.”

The urge to punch him, anywhere, was growing, but I really didn’t want to start anything huge only because I’d rather just get out of here. And honestly, every part of my manhood hates to admit this, but I don't think I could take him. Fuck me. “He’s not a fucking piece of meat. You’re sick, so stay the hell away from Zeke, and from me.”

I saw Max walk up to us from the corner of my eye, and whirled around. “And what the hell is wrong with you? Why are you friends with these people?”

He looked surprised, only mildly seeing how I don’t think he ever shows much emotion, because he’d only just reappeared, but I didn’t give a shit. Max stared at me, taking a sip of his Coors Light like I’d never even spoken. I groaned, rubbing my hands over my face, and went back to Zeke, who looked like he hadn’t even moved an inch.

“Let’s get out of here, okay?”

He nodded, and we started walking towards the door. Part of me wanted to say goodbye to Finn, partially because he’s my friend and it just felt like the right thing to do, and partially because I don’t like the idea of him being left alone in this place.

We both got in Zeke’s car, and I frowned when I realized that Zeke’s hands were shaking slightly against the steering wheel. “Thank you, Marshall. For standing up for me, and everything,” he told me shyly, swallowing hard.

“You’re welcome. I’m sorry that even happened. He’s a fucking perv, that’s all. Don’t even think about it.”

His lips curved up to form a gorgeous smile, and he took a hand off the wheel to grip one of my own.

He’s so amazing.
♠ ♠ ♠
I rather like the next chapter.
And I honestly hate to ask, but I really would like to hear more of your opinions on this story.

Thank you for commenting;
BVB.
Gerard.Way
No Tomorrow
nightsgrow.