The Heart Never Lies

Dinner

The feel of the cool leather seat relaxed me. I put my iPod on full blast volume and closed my eyes. The fresh air of the air conditioner in the car cooled me down. I started mouthing the words to Six feet under the stars by All time Low. It was my favorite song and I knew every word of it. I felt a shove on my leg but I decided to ignore it. I felt a hand slowly going up my thigh. I snapped my eyes open.

“Dude! What the hell are you doing?!”

“Well, you weren’t talking back to me and you wouldn’t open your eyes! We’re here already!” I looked at him then at the window. Oh. My bad. I smiled sheepishly and apologized to Sam. I quickly put my iPod back in my bag and stepped out of the car.

“Wow, this place certainly brings back memories.” Sam and I exchanged looks and smiled. Olive Garden was the first time Sam, Kayla and I had our first date. We aren’t together or anything, it was just as friends. It was the first time I cried my heart out because of Daniel. The first time, in a long time, I was treated like a best friend. Olive Garden was certainly a happy memory of mine.

Mom and dad approached the hostess. Sam and I followed behind them, idly chatting. The place was gorgeous and really fancy. The walls were the color of cream. Table cloths matching them with the color of white. The chairs were made with fine wooden chairs with a unique design. Each table had a candle and a rose and that little gesture made me love this place even more. If I could eat here everyday, I would.

“Smith. Table for five.” My mom said. Wait. For five? We’re only four people. Who else is coming? The hostess led us to our table. I saw a familiar face but I couldn’t quite see the person. As we approached nearer to our table my heart beat faster.

“Daniel? What are you doing here?” I was beyond shocked. I never expected for him to come.

Daniel smiled at me. He stood up and greeted my parents, Sam, and I. I looked at Sam sending him a telepathic message. What the hell is he doing here? Sam raised his eyebrows and gave me a shrug.

“What else?” He grinned. “I’m here to celebrate your victory of course!” We took our seats. We picked a round table so that we could see everyone. I sat next to Sam and my mom. “So…” Daniel started. Thank god the waiter came the awkwardness in the table was too much. Even mom and dad knew what the situation was between me and Daniel was. We took our orders. I looked at the menu carefully. They all looked delicious but I settled for the Chicken Parmigiana. Glasses of water were placed on our table.

Sam raised his glass. “To Hayden! For doing her best and winning the race.” He glanced at me and smiled. I grinned back. He truly was the best. I just wished Kayla was here.

Everyone raised their glass and made a toast. Klink. I felt the intense gaze of Daniel. I met his gaze and gave him a small smile. After those 5 seconds, I looked around the place and admired it. I sighed.

“What’s the matter sweetie?” Yes. After all these years Dad has never changed.

“Nothing, dad, I’m fine.” I sighed again. “I just wish Kayla was here.” Everyone stared at me.

“What? What’d I say?” I looked at them wide eyed. Did I do something wrong?

“Hell-o.” Sam said waving his hand at my face. “Super, awesome bestie sitting right next to you!"

“And a super, awesome friend one seat away from you!” Daniel chipped in. I snorted. Oh really now? I sat there laughing. That was so not Daniel. I received strange looks of mom, dad and the other strangers. I think the whole restaurant can hear me.

The next thing I saw was Sam and Daniel making a pouty face. What the hell? I think that cracked me up even more.

“I thought you were my bestfriend.” Sam fake cried. “What happened to all those years? Those times we’ve spent together. Those times where we would go up to your room and-“ I slapped him on the chest and covered his mouth. Mom, dad, and even Daniel’s eyebrows knitted together and glared at Sam. “Oh so you don’t want them to find out huh? That’s fine with me.” He winked. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, if Kayla were here, she’d totally beat you up.” I smirked.

“Kayla? That sweet, innocent girl you guys hang out with?” Daniel asked. Sam and I glanced at each other before cackling.

“Sweet?” I said.

“Innocent?” Sam finished. “All lies. She’s really loud and she can do evil, evil things to you.”
“Well, maybe just to Sam.” I giggled.

Daniel seemed out of place and awkward. Mom and dad were just there, in their own world talking about what ever adults talk about. Luckily, the food came. It seemed like forever but it was just about like five minutes. Wow, in five minutes many things can happen.

Oh my god. This Chicken Parmigiana is so amazing. There are no words to describe this sensation. Oh wait, I’m in heaven. The crisp of the chicken made my mouth water. I think I’m close to crying. I can’t believe something this good hasn’t been in my mouth. Within half an hour, everyone was full and satisfied with the food.

I fiddled with the rose on our table as we waited for the check. It was truly an amazing night tonight. The reward for being 1st place: Delicious food. That’s it. If it’s like this everytime I win, I’m working my hardest!

We paid for the check and headed outside. Daniel brought his own car so he went home alone. We started walking to our cars. Sam and my parents went ahead.

“Daniel.” I called to him. He faced me fully with a big smile on his face. “Hm?”

“Thank you for coming tonight.” I smiled sincerely. “It really means a lot.” He took a step forward and pulled me into a hug. He stroked my hair slowly. “You’re welcome.” With that, he pulled away and started walking to his car. I stood there dumbstruck until the car honked at me snapping me into reality. I got in the car and relaxed. “Hey you okay?” Sam asked. I didn’t hear him however. I was thinking of that hug. The hug felt exactly the same as 7 years ago. I can feel myself getting hotter and redder. Boy, this was going to be a long ride.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are love<3
Special thanks to Essie for inspiring me(:

And thank you to all our readers and subscribers! :D

edit:
Never went to Olive Garden btw. And I never tasted Chicken Parmigiana