The Heart Never Lies

Explanations Explanations

Sam and I walked through the two front doors of school. Kayla was waiting for us at my locker, which was across the hall. I could feel the anticipation rolling off of Sam. “Do you think she’ll get jealous if I tell–”

“Sam don’t rub it in her face that she didn’t go, okay? She’ll most likely just hit your arm.” I felt Sam shrug beside me. Every day I give Sam a ride to school. It’s either me or with his brothers.

When we reached Kayla she pulled me into a bone crushing hug. I swear I saw her smirk at Sam. Why are they always competing? “How it’d go?” Excitement filled her eyes.

“Pretty good. We went to Olive Garden. And Sam was a bit of a perv as always.” Kayla and I laughed. Sam scoffed crossing his arms across his chest. I told Kayla about the dinner not quite saying how much I enjoyed Daniel hugging me.

“That is so cool. I wish I was there. Shut it Sam.” She put her hand in the air cutting Sam off. He shook his head walking towards his locker. Once he left Kayla really bombarded me with questions.

“So...was it awkward? Did you sit next to Daniel? What did y’all talk about? What happened?” I looked at her shocked. I opened my locker getting my morning books out. She stood there waiting anxiously for my answer.

“Okay well it was awkward.”

“How?”

“First please don’t interrupt me.” She nodded apologetically.

“Um we really didn’t have much to talk about. My mom and dad were talking by themselves and Sam had to start the conversation. You know Daniel thought you were sweet and innocent.” She giggled. I rolled my eyes continuing.

“I didn’t sit next to Daniel. Instead next to my mom and Sam. But it was a round table that I still saw him.” I waited a few seconds to see if she was going to say anything.

Of course she did. “Wow. Did he keep looking at you? Did y’all have a moment to yourselves?”

“Not really. I told you about the hug. And he stroked my hair while he hugged me.” She raised her eyebrows. I closed my eyes for the ‘I knew it!’ Instead I heard laughter coming from Sam and Rafe. They were walking towards us.

“Hey Rafe.” I waved at him. He smiled and leaned on the locker next to mine.

“Hey Hayden. Kayla.” Kayla waved nonchalantly at him before going to her locker to get her books. I only had one class with her. And that was homeroom and first period.

“So tonight we’re having a get together. It’s me, Sam, Conner, Lucas, Ryan, Daniel, and we’re hoping you and Kayla.” Rafe explained to me. My parents wouldn’t mind but I never really got to know them. Other than Sam.

“Maybe. I don’t know if Kayla wants to or if she can go.” He nodded standing straight.

“Well you’re welcome to come if you want to.” He leaned down to whisper in my ear. “And kinda beg her to come, Sam wants her to. He told me to ask you.” I laughed glancing at Sam.

He was looking at Kayla struggle with her books that were about to fall out of her hands. But before they could he quickly sauntered over to help. I looked back at Rafe. “Sure I’ll see what I could do.”

He grinned when he saw Daniel and Conner coming towards us. “Hey guys what’s up?” Daniel asked. Rafe smirked at him.

“Nothing just telling her about tonight. And to make sure that Kayla comes.”

Conner interjected. “Hey Hayden are you good at writing?” I looked at him confused. Slowly I nodded my head.

“Yeah why?”

“Well I want to impress this girl and she loves to write,” He said as if that was going to explain everything. I stared blankly at him. Daniel laughed telling me what I wanted to know and what Conner failed to tell me.

“He wants to convince her that he isn’t a bad person.” I tried to hold in my laughter but didn’t do as well as I wanted. I turned my head to the side trying to contain my amusement.

“Whatever, Hayden.” Conner defended himself. Rafe, feeling bad for his brother, interfered.

“She’s actually pretty nice. And the first one to make him do his school work. It was hilarious when we got home the other day-” Conner put a hand over his mouth. I shook my head chuckling. The first bell rang.

I told them by. As I was turning around my eyes caught Daniels’. I couldn’t look away from his gaze. His ocean blue eyes held me captive. Finally he smiled slightly before walking away. I instantly lost him in the sea of crowds.

Kayla came to stand beside me. Sam waved to me and started walking in the same direction as Daniel had. “What was that about?” I sighed closing my locker. We headed up the stairs.

“I really don’t know. He just caught my eye that’s it.” She tsked.

“Liar. It looked more than just a glance where you look in the eyes for a couple seconds. More like...like...” I rolled my eyes walking into the classroom. “Well you get what I mean.”

“Sure I do.” I replied sarcastically. “Did Sam tell you about the get together?” She nodded smiling slightly.

“What did Sam tell you?” She couldn’t answer because the teacher started speaking. I pulled out a piece of paper from my notebook.

Hey Kayla what did Sam tell you? I wrote with my pen. I folded the paper and threw it on her desk. Ms. Ava stood at the front of the classroom droning on and on about the announcements.

Nothing really. Just that we were invited. Her neat scrawl wrote back.

Liar! You smiled when I asked you. He told you something. Tell me. :o

It was a joke that I remembered that’s all.

A joke that he told you. Tell me or I won’t talk to you the rest of the day.

You’re so persistent! Nothing just what they were going to do. And it made me laugh.

The bell rang signaling that first period started. We got and left the class since we had a different first period than homeroom.

“You were laughing at a private joke, weren’t you?” Kayla sighed but didn’t say anything.

The day went on like this. I tried to figure out what exactly Sam had told her. And every time I got the same answer. ‘What they were going to do.’ I didn’t believe it at all. At lunch Sam looked at me confused before going back to eating. I was ready to scream by the time we went to English. I had Daniel in this class also. Along with Gym, Chemistry, and World History.

“Okay class today we are going to the library. Get all of your stuff because we are dismissing from there.” I walked behind the rest of the class taking my time there. I looked at my converse. They were awesome. They had the shoe laces painted on so they looked like they were there but really weren’t. I hadn’t felt Daniel stay behind to walk with me until I heard his voice.

“Hey Hayden. Awesome shoes.” I jumped up surprised. Holding a hand to my chest.

“You shocked me there. What’d you want?” He shrugged stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“Nothing just saw that you were by yourself and decided to talk to you.” I nodded.

“Wow.” I replied sarcastically. Daniel looked at me confused.

“What does that mean?”

“It means that why now after the race did you finally decide you wanted to be my friend again,” I told him bitterly.

“Well I always wanted to be your friend. We used to be the besties of the besties.”

I snorted. “Yeah used to.” I looked him in the eyes. Again I couldn’t look away from them.

“Look I’m sorry, okay?” I stopped to look at him.

“A sorry isn’t going to make up for 7 years of you being a jerk to me.”

“I was the jerk?!” Our teacher called to us from the door to the library. I shook my head walking away from him. I don’t think I’m planning that get together tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all the comments!

And subscribers! :)

Please comment. :D