The Heart Never Lies

Drunken mistake or full consciousness?

“Hey Hayden.”

“Um hi Ryan.” I stood awkwardly by my door. Ryan was always the quiet one from the group. Never seemed like one to talk much.

“Are you coming tonight?” He shoved his hands in his pockets. It makes me wonder why he wears pants in the middle of spring.

“I don’t think so. I’m not feeling very well,” I lied. Part of it was true though. Ryan smirked leaning on my door frame.

“I think you’re lying to me.” I dropped my mouth open in disbelief. I crossed my arms.

“How so?” He shook his head looking at his brothers and Daniel pull up in his drive-way of his house across the street. Daniel waved at us. I just turned my head to the side. I wasn’t going to forgive him like that. No way in hell. Ryan sighed. I looked at him curiously.

“What did he do to you? I mean if you don’t mind me asking.” He looked sincere so I answered him.

“When I first moved here he was the one to say hi to me first. But, now that I think about it, he had to. And when y’all moved he left me, don’t get me wrong y’all are awesome, but just like that.” I looked away. Damn tears.

“Well I think you should come anyway. Forget him. Kayla is going to be there.” He suggested. I giggled shaking my head. He makes it sound better then it’s probably going to be. And that reminded me.

“Can I ask you a question? Does Sam like Kayla?” Ryan laughed crossing his heart with his right pointy finger.

“I crossed my heart to Sam that I wouldn’t tell.” I stomped my foot. Sam is too good. Ryan chuckled at my childness. He stood up straight stepping a little closer to me.

“Are you coming tonight?” As much as he tried it wasn’t going to work. I shook my head stepping back putting distance between us.

“No, I’m sorry but I can’t.” He nodded slowly going back a few steps. I closed the door feeling bad for some reason. I headed up the stairs running my fingers through my hair. I lay on my bed staring at my ceiling. Ugh I would go and enjoy myself but stupid Daniel. Or is it me that I can’t let it go? Should I just forget it all, as if it never happened?

I dozed off thinking about it everything and anything. I felt someone waking me up from my deep slumber. I tried to push whoever’s hand it was away. “Damn it Hayden just open your eyes.” I peeked them open to see Kayla. I must have been sleeping for quite some time seeing as it was dark outside. I slowly sat up.

“What time is it?” I rubbed my eyes. I wanted nothing more then to get under the covers and go back to sleep.

“Time for you to get ready.”

I looked at her confused. “What are you talking about?” She put her hand on her hip.

“You’re going to that get together with me.” I shook my head stubbornly.

“No I am not. Thanks for trying but I am not going at all.” Kayla sighed sitting on my bed. I crossed my legs so she could sit across from me.

“He feels really bad you know. He looks downright miserable that he’s the reason you’re not there.” I crossed my arms looking to the side. No doubt she will try to make me feel guilty to make me go.

“Good. He should be.” She sighed louder then before throwing her hands in the air.

“I’m really sorry that this may sound rude but, why can’t you just forget it? I mean, it’s obvious that he’s trying to be your friend again.” I looked at her with a frown.

“Let me tell you this, would you have felt bad if you were best friends with Sam but he left you because other people moved here and were more popular?” She nodded understanding a little bit.

“I see your point. But still don’t let that ruin tonight. You know Sam feels bad because he invited you and you didn’t go.” I scoffed playfully.

“As I recall, all day today he was telling you about everything.” She gave me a pointed glance before standing up again.

“Please come. I hate being the only girl there. And there’s beer.” I raised my eyebrows. I stood up stretching.

“Just because you and Sam are my best friends I’m going. But you owe me big time.” I started to walk to my closet but she stopped me.

“I already got your clothes while you were asleep. And let me tell you I like your little snores.” She smirked at me. I narrowed my eye at her, charging to get her. Fortunate for her she was close to the door.

Closing it in time that I wouldn’t get her she yelled from the other side, “Hurry up!” I rolled my eyes before getting ready.

We walked across the street to Sam’s and the others’ house. I had dark blue shorts that reached my thighs, a red v-neck top with a white belt hugging me under my bust line, black strappy sandals, and a flower necklace to finish it off. It may be a little over the top but I wanted to prove that I was happy as I can be. Even if that meant I had to fake it.

We walked in to all of them laughing loudly at something. Kayla waved to them sitting beside Sam. Something is definitely going on between those two. Rafe and Ryan waved me over. I sat in the middle of them. I noticed Daniel glower at us. When he noticed I caught him looking he turned the other way.

“So what are we doing?” They looked unsure. Oh gosh, please tell I got ready for nothing.

“Well we were thinking about something that’s close to truth or dare. But instead of the dare you have to chug down a can of beer.”

I raised my eyebrows at Rafe. “Meaning if you don’t answer a question then you have to drink a whole can of beer? What kind?” Kayla leaned over Ryan to smack me in the arm. I was not supposed to take interest in this. Ehh what can I say? I have a lot of stress.

“Corona! So are you in?” Conner asked from across me. I looked at Kayla. I could tell she didn’t want to but it’s not like she doesn’t owe me any favors. I nodded my head smiling.

We had gotten a cooler full of cans of Corona and put about two or three blankets on top so it wouldn’t be cold if we out our hands on top. “Wait, wait, and wait. Where are y’all parents,” I asked stopping before we started the game.

“Some meeting. We have the house to ourselves the whole weekend.” Lucas answered. And just like that we started with simple get-to-know-you questions to some really deep personal ones. I’ll have to say I was feeling good. I wasn’t going to answer everything, of course.

It was now time for Daniel to ask me a question. All night he would avoid telling me anything at all. “So...um...” All eyes were on him. I clutched a can in my hand. I think I would rather drink two so I wouldn’t answer his question.

“I can’t think of one,” He finally concluded after a minute or two of thinking. Conner shook his head smirking at him.

“Nope you have to ask. No matter what.” Daniel glared at him slumping his shoulders. The silence was getting awkward by the seconds. Instead of thinking more he got up and left. We looked at each other. Ending up in all of them glancing at me.

Damn it Daniel! I screamed in my head.

“So what do we do now,” I asked. Most of them shrugged except Lucas.

“Mine turn,” He declared. He put another beer in the center so who ever didn’t answer drank it. Lucas looked straight at me.

“Why don’t you go talk to him?” I knew what the question meant. Go talk to him.

“Because I don’t want to.” I grabbed the beer anyway and started to drink. After him was Sam.

“Are you scared to?” I focused my eyes on my hands that were on my lap. I grabbed the can, opening it, and started to chug it. By the time I finished it I was starting to feel dizzy. I looked beside him to Rafe.

He looked down at me worriedly. “He’s sorry you know.” I glared at him. I honestly didn’t mean to look mean or anything. Beer has that effect on me. Making me do things that I will regret the next day.

I snatched the beer that was sitting on the cooler and stood up. I wobbled out of the room. When I closed the front door I laid my head against it. Movement from beside me caught my eye. I turned to my right to see Daniel staring at me. I thought about going back inside or just walking straight to my house across the street. Then an idea came to mind. I peered at my hand then back to Daniel.

He, on the other hand, stood leaning against the rail of the porch observing every move I made. I walked over to him. He stood up straighter. I stopped about a foot away from his. I pushed the can into his chest still holding it. I gazed into his eyes.

“Why? That’s my question, why?” He made a move to get the can. That’s all it took for me to let go of it and start walking away from him. I went down the steps towards my house. I tried to walk as fast as I could but didn’t end up being a good speed. My feet tried to wobble in front of each other.

I heard the thud of the can fall to the ground followed by footsteps coming toward me. A hand grabbed my forearm. I was turned around to face Daniel. My chest bumped into his. I stepped about a foot back. All the beer I drank threatening to come back up.

“I feel really bad okay. You were my best friends and I ruined that. I was wrong to leave you like that. Please forgive me. I’ll get on my knees if I have to.” I did the only thing I could so he wouldn’t look in my eyes, I started to punch him.

I knew none of it hurt him but I had to hold in most of what I was feeling for seven years. I was getting tired. My arms started to hurt. With one last try, and Daniel pulling me, I fell against him. My arms around him, and his around me, I tried to push my head as much as could so my sobs wouldn’t be as loud. I don’t know how long we stayed in that position. My face was drying up from all the salty tears. I angled my face up so I could look at him. I didn’t notice how close his lips were to mine. Without another thought I pressed my salty lips to his soft ones.

We stood there in the middle of the street holding each other as if dear life depended on it. Lost in our own world. Could this be a drunken mistake or full consciousness made me do this?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everybody who reads this and comments! :)

Please comment?