The Heart Never Lies

I Wish

“We’re pretty sure you’re lying,” Rafe said. I groaned. I did not want to come to the park and get blamed or interrogated. I flopped on my back across the grass. Closing my eyes I could still feel them staring at me. After a moment I sat back up.

“Tell you what guys, I’ll go to Daniel’s place or wherever he is and tell him, if he remembers, that kissing last night was a huge mistake. Deal?” Sam shook his head. Why does someone always find a problem with what I say?!

“I talked to him this morning.” I raised my eyebrows.

“Am I supposed to care?” Truth was I was burning on the inside with curiosity on what Daniel may have told him.

“I can tell that you do.” I held his gaze. Kayla sighed beside us.

“Guys just stop. Hayden doesn’t want to talk about it, so we should just leave her alone.” I gave her a look. One that said ‘You just realize that now?’ “Let her figure out that she is hot for Daniel on her own.” I gaped at her in disbelief.

“What the he-” I was cut off when my phone started to vibrate. I pulled it out of my pocket. Mom. A text.

To: BaBHayden
From: Mom

Hello honey. :) Your dad and I are at home where Daniel is asking for you. Do you wanna come or do I tell him to come back later?


Leave it to my mom to send me a message to see if I wanted to go back home. Well not that I was avoiding it.

“Who is it?” Conner asked trying to see the screen of my phone. I hid it even though it was nothing private.

“Nobody. I have to go. See you guys later.” I got up and left. I could go to the ice cream shop instead of going back home. But then again I would feel bad and the thought of what I did would stay in my mind the whole time I was away.

So, trudging my feet as slow as they would go I headed toward my house. As I neared, my parents’ car was in the drive way with Daniel crossing the yard back to his house. I wanted to stay quiet and let him walk without knowing that I was there but that nagging thought came to me again.

“Daniel,” I yelled. I speed walked over to him. He turned to me with a small smile. “Hey what did you need?”

“I wanted to talk about last night.” I gulped. I waited for him to say something else. “It was a mistake.” Those words pounded hard into me. I told myself it was since I woke up. Hell since the time we pulled away. But hearing them come from his mouth was something totally different. Whatever was going to come out of my mouth was cut off by a laugh. I looked around him. A girl with black hair and dark, dark brown eyes walked over to us.

“Hey, Daniel. Hey.” She looked at Daniel then at me. I gave her a small wave. She stayed looking at me. I finally figured out that she was expecting me to say my name.

“Sorry. I’m Hayden.” She laughed again. Daniel started speaking again.

“She’s new to our school.” I raised my eyebrow in curiosity. But he took it the wrong way.

“I m-met her at the store. We bumped into each other and started talking. She said she didn’t know anything around here so I brought her to my house.” This time I looked at him in shock. My mouth hung open in disbelief, along with this other chicks’ whose name I still don’t know. “Not in that sense!”

I giggled. He went on. “I needed to change. And I thought that since I was here I could talk to you. You know the rest.”

I pursed my lips. “Why did you explain everything to me?” Daniel appeared stumped. I turned to the girl.

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Evelyn.” We talked for a couple minutes. I would notice she kept touching Daniel with every chance she got, and for some reason that got me angry.

“Well I got to go. See you later.” I waved again before heading to my house. Once the door closed I raced up to my room. I heard my dad call me but I wasn’t paying attention to him.

After I closed, and locked, my door I raced to my window that overlooked Daniel’s. There he was sitting on the floor talking with Evelyn. I made a face of disgust pulling out my cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Kayla! You would not believe what just happened?” The other line was quiet.

“Then how is it true if I’m not going to believe it?” I pulled the phone from my ear to look at it. Did I just hear her wrong? I ignored her comment.

“Kayla, Kayla, Kayla. Anyway! I was going to talk to Daniel and this girl comes up and interrupts our conversation! Can you believe that?”

I heard her sigh. “I do believe it. You lied to me, Hayden. Was she pretty?”

I swear everything she says confuses me and leaves me speechless. I told her all that happened when I first saw Daniel. In the end, I had to make sure she was still listening to me. “Um Kayla, you still here?”

“Yeah. You know what I think?”

“I don’t know. Maybe of the next outfit you’re gonna where,” I told her sarcastically.

“Hahaha Hayden. But thanks for reminding me. I do have to look. About Daniel and that girl, as you put it, I think you’re jealous.”

“Am not!”

“Is too! Otherwise you would have called Evelyn by her name. And that tone of voice you’re using, missy. All the evidence points to you being jealous.” I sighed.

“So not true.”

“Oh whatever. I have to go. My mom is calling me to do something. Call you later. Bye.”

After she hung up I looked out the room again. Daniel wasn’t there. I don’t know why I keep checking for him. He constantly invades my thoughts. Ever since that stupid race. Some part of me wishes it never happened.

I wish there was never a race.
I wish I never won.
I wish I never bumped into Daniel.
I wish he would have just left me alone.

Now I’m stuck with all this drama. And getting told that I was hot for him was not on my 100 things to hear before I die list. A knock on my door brought me back to the real world and out of my moping. I lazily got up to open the door. On the other side was Daniel.

I wish... I wish... I wish... Damn it my mind is going blank!

I wish he would speak.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry that it's late. Family problems.

Anywho, please comment. Subscribe. :)

Hope you like.