Just Another Lovesick Boy

o11

It had been a few days since the incident with Anya. She did not return to her place with Cassandra and the other jerks on the performance stage during lunch. However, Eddy stated that he had seen her hanging around with a boy that he would only describe as “some hipster junior.” It irritated Eddy beyond belief whenever he saw them walking together through the halls. Thankfully, Anya did not sit with him during lunch. It seemed as if he had a group of his own friends besides her. I never figured out where she went during the lunch break but Eddy said he had suspicions that she ate in library. Eddy did not return to his depressed state but he seemed quieter, albeit more restless. His eyes continued to search for Anya every day.

I stared through my window to look into Eddy’s room. I shook my head once I saw him jump down to his floor from his bed and immediately start head banging along to the music he was blasting on his stereo. I glanced at my cell phone, which was lying innocently on the top of the shelf that was just above my bed, before looking back towards Eddy’s room. I rolled over on to my bed and relaxed with my arm behind my head for a moment before grabbing my phone. I hesitated for a moment, my eyes wandering across the ceiling, before dialing in the number I wanted. I closed my eyes as I listened silently to the ring of the phone. I had to remind myself not to digress from the inquiries I had for her and to stay on track.

“Hello?”

I did not know why exactly but hearing her voice always put a smile on my face. She had an interesting mixture of sounds in her voice. It was as naturally high pitched as a girl’s voice should be but it did seem to go an octave higher than usual at some points of her speech. It would be a horrible cliché if I was to say her voice had the distinct sound of tinkling bells but there was no other comparison to her voice. I had to admit that it was a voice I could never get tired of. I sat up and glanced out the window to see Eddy still bouncing around before speaking.

“Hey.”

“Adrian. Hi.”

“What’s up?”

“I could ask you the same thing, considering you’re the one who called me.” I had to stifle a laugh at her blunt remark. Only she could say something to upfront.

“True.”

“So you first, Adrian: what’s up?”

“I guess there’s no avoiding it,” I sighed.

“Oh no,” she laughed. “Avoiding what?”

“We need to talk about Eddy.”

“Oh. That.”

“Yeah. That.”

“Is it really necessary?” she asked uncomfortably

“Anya, this is serious.”

“Well, yeah,” she stammered, “but it’s serious for me that I don’t talk about it.”

“Why?”

“Because I know that how you think of me.”

“Oh, really? And how’s that?”

“You think that Cassandra tainted me and that I’m a bitch and I don’t care about Eddy’s feelings.”

I sighed once she finished speaking as I picked at a loose thread on my blue blanket. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I felt an aching pain in my head. I stretched out my back before kicking my shoes off to the floor and lying down on my bed.

“Well, you’re right about that.”

“What?” she asked in a shocked tone.

“Do you want me to lie?” I asked with a laugh.

“It would be nice.”

“It would be nice if you proved me wrong.”

“Adrian, please, I barely sat down and the boy screamed in my face. It was mortifying.”

“How do you think he feels? You’re just the girl that some guy confessed his feelings to. He’s the guy who confessed his feelings in front of everyone and had the girl say no.”

“Look, I like Eddy, I do. It’s just that I barely know the guy. I knew his cousin in England and I know Eddy from Econoics, that’s it. I don’t know how you do things but I was raised to get to know somebody before agreeing to go out with them.”

“Why didn’t you just say that in the first place?”

“I just don’t know. I’m not a genius,” she laughed sadly.

“I really think you need to tell him everything you just told me. I know he seems really crazy and spontaneous but he really is one of a kind. Just like you. Trust me, when Eddy likes a girl, he really likes her. He doesn’t hand his emotions away to just anybody. He’d do a lot for you, if you let him,” I explained.

“Can I ask you a question? You might not answer it but I just wanted to ask.”

“Shoot,” I said as I leaned down to pick up a Rubik’s Cube from off my floor. I furrowed my eyes at it before glancing at Eddy’s house. I could see him still bouncing around his room. I turned my attention to the Cube in my hand before I began to twist it around.

“Why is he obsessed with Twiggy?”

“He’s not.”

“But…he keeps calling me that. And he says his room is filled with pictures of her.”

“It’s deeper than just the surface. His mom was a model and one of her inspirations was Twiggy. Antonia really admired her. Pictures of Twiggy keep Antonia alive in his heart.”

“What happened to his mom?”

“You’re going to have to ask him that yourself. But we all did love her. Including me and Mom.”

“And your dad?”

“Left. When I was six.”

“I’m so sorry, Adrian…”

“It’s alright. I’m better off. My mom’s better off. Things happen for a reason.”

“I suppose you’re right.”

I glanced up from the Rubik’s Cube I was fiddling around with before furrowing my eyebrows together. “I’m always right.”

“No,” she laughed, “trust me, you’re not.”

“Whatever. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Who’s that guy you’re always hanging around with all of a sudden?” I asked her seriously.

“Are you spying, Adrian?” she laughed coyly.

“Nope. That’s Eddy’s job,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“He’s just a friend. His name is Finn and he’s a junior in my photography class,” she informed me.

“Finn? Finn Dalry?” I asked her as I ruffled my hair.

“Yeah. You know him?”

“Yeah, he’s in yearbook with me. He’s a good kid and he knows his shit.”

“You’re in yearbook?” she asked.

“You’re talking to Pine Hills High School’s yearbook editor-in-chief, missy,” I said with a grin

“Ooh la la. I feel so inferior compared to you. Am I worthy of talking to such a supreme being?” she laughed.

“I deem you worthy.”

“Oh, okay,” she said sarcastically.

“Anya.”

“Yes?”

“You should totally go out with Eddy,” I grinned before hanging up the phone without a goodbye. I spun the top of the Cube one last time before completing it. I looked down at it before spinning it to mess it up again before leaning out the window and throwing it into Eddy’s room. I lied down onto my bed with a satisfied smile, thinking about how annoying I could be and how beneficial it might be during certain times.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song of the Day:
$ex, Drugs, and Whiskey Hands - MikeyWhiskeyHands ft Dr. Craig

Get it, get it,
Bounce, bounce
Shake, shake,
Get money, get paid
We fucking own this city all night


Song of the Day is irrelevant.