Just Another Lovesick Boy

oo2

If I had to name one thing I could not stand at all, it was math. When I was younger, I used to think that math was kind of fun. But then they introduced letters into the equation in middle school. From there, I was straight up screwed. Math always came easily to me but it did not interest me the way it used to. After a while, I ceased doing my work because it bored me so much. So it always amazed me how I inevitably always ended up in an honors math class throughout high school. The only good thing about being in an advanced placement Calculus class my senior year was that I sat two seats behind and one seat over from Nara Lee.

Not to make myself sound like a freak, but I always had found it fascinating to watch Nara Lee. It was not because I had liked her or because I found her insanely beautiful. Even without those factors, I was sure I would still like to watch her. She always had the most perplexing expressions. I was fascinated by her; I always wanted to know what she was thinking. Nara Lee sat near the very middle of the room, right under a skylight that was put in when the school when through reconstruction during the previous summer. I would always find her staring straight up through the skylights with either her eyebrows furrowed or a peaceful smile on her face. I never understood her expressions. She confused me greatly.

She lowered her head slowly and began to cautiously look around, as if she was worried if somebody would notice. I leaned my head against my fingertips, which were placed at my right temple. It took me a brief moment to notice that Nara Lee was watching me watch her with a nervous smile on her face. I blinked once at her before smiling lightly and glancing away to look at the front board. I let out a barely audible sigh as I felt my heart beat faster in my chest. I sniffed nervously as I repeatedly flicked my pencil against my palm as I waited patiently for the class to end. My eyes would flick back to Nara Lee on some occasions. I would either catch her staring back up at the skylight or, on a rare and surprising occasion, at me.

When the bell rang, I shot out of my seat, as always, and made my way to the door. I was placing my pencil back into my pocket when I felt a force in between my shoulder blades. My head snapped back as I was pushed forward and into a wall. I turned around quickly to find Phillip Williams standing tall and smirking at me. Phillip was the standard football jock: tall, muscular, and arrogant. Though I was on good terms with most athletes at school, Phillip was the exception. He seemed to find some sort of enjoyment in pushing me around when I was by myself. I glared into Phillip’s dark green eyes as he smiled cheekily up at me.

“How goes it, faggot?” he smirked.

“It was perfect until you go here,” I sighed as I leaned against the wall.

“I really don’t like your attitude,” he sneered.

“Really? That’s funny because it’s just like yours. You know, obnoxious and all,” I remarked as I bent down to pick up my notebook.

As soon as I straightened up, Phillip knocked my folder out of my hands on the floor again before grabbing a fistful of my shirt and slamming me back in the wall with a glare on his face.

“Don’t you ever compare me to you, freak,” he spat.

“Oh, I’m the freak? Says the guy who thinks people in the future will give a shit that he beat people up in high school,” I scoffed.

He glared darkly up at me before reeling his fist back. I gave him a small smirk, and slightly braced myself for the punch when a delicate hand grabbed his fist. Phillip blinked in surprise before turning around, me looking over his head to see who it was. Nara Lee, as sweet as can be, gave him an innocent look before letting his hand go.

“Phillip,” she began sweetly,” what are you doing?”

“Nothing, Nara,” he grinned.

“Phillip, you know I don’t like liars.”

I raised an eyebrow lightly in her direction before glancing at Phillip to see what his reaction was. His smile faltered slightly before it brightened once again as his leering eyes scanned over her form. He took a step back from me before placing a large hand on her waist. She slightly raised her eyebrows at him as she glanced down at his hand.

“I’d never lie to you, Nara.”

“Funny, considering you’re doing it now. Go away, Phillip,” she said as she pushed his hand off of her and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Nara,” he began with a grin and a roll of his eyes.

She pushed him away lightly before saying, “I mean it, Phillip, go away.”

Without giving him a chance to reply, she bent down and picked up my notebook before locking her arm with mine and slightly pulled me down the hall. We were halfway down the hallway before she stopped a red-haired girl dressed in white shorts and a white shirt. “Keep your freaky boyfriend away from me, Cass, I swear,” she told the girl. The girl stared at Nara incredulously before nodding once and turning to walk away.

Nara pulled a tighter grip on me before dragging me down the hallway once again. We made it all the way down and around the corner before she suddenly stopped. I doubted she even noticed the people who stared at our presence and simply stepped around us without protest.

“I’m sorry for dragging you like that but he really makes me angry,” she muttered as she glared down at the floor.

“Um, it’s cool,” I said as I scratched the back of my head.

“I don’t even know if your class is this way,” she laughed to herself.

“I’ll manage,” I said as I looked over her head and at the surrounding student body.

“So, um, where is your next class anyway?” she asked.

“Culinary Arts,” I answered with a nod.

“Really? I’m sorry that I dragged us in the opposite direction.”

“Like I said, it’s cool.”

“Well, sorry about Phillip. I shouldn’t apologize on his behalf considering I can’t stand him but I kind of feel obligated.”

“It’s okay. I’m used to him fucking around with me.”

“He’s done that for a while, hasn’t he?”

“I guess, but nothing I can’t handle. Well, I guess we should get to class.”

“True. Hey, I know this is a bit forward, but I don’t know if I can handle being around Phillip today. Would it be cool if I sat with you at lunch?”

I stared down at her before blinking once. I stared into her bright blue eyes before licking my lips as I felt my breathing constrict. We had barely started talking and she was already going to sit with me at lunch. It was like a dream come true. It actually seemed too good to be true. I felt like I was in a horribly cliché movie or book. I did not care if I was or not, I was going to take my chance.

“Sure, but you’ll have to deal with Eddy. He’s a bit obnoxious.”

“I figured from this morning. Well, I should get to ASB. See you at lunch, Adrian,” she said as she turned with a smile and wave.

I gave her a small smile before turning to walk down the stairs to the second floor. I entered my culinary class late without a care in the world. I sat at my counter with a dreamy smile on my face, totally ignoring the loud words of my teacher. I closed my eyes as I laid my head on my desk as I replayed our conversation in our head all over again. I did not even think about the fact that she somehow already knew my name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song of the Day:
The New National Anthem - Pierce the Veil

But you hold my attention without even trying.
A beautiful reflection from firework eyes.