A Rose, My Rose

Cheater

Carlisle and I were running through the thick forest I had once inhabited years ago. After the talk in my bedroom we decided on hunting for a bit and then maybe going back to the house to test my resistance with the human blood he had. I still had fears about this damned forest, that I would catch a scent of a human and go hunt it and fall into the deep end again. I didn't want to put myself in that position or way of life again. So to protect myself I stuck close to Carlisle. And since I was no longer a newborn I could no longer over power him, I think…

"You're lagging." I called behind me laughing. I heard Carlisle chuckling behind me.

"Just admiring the view, Mag." I heard him say. If I were human I would of blushed.

"I hope you are talking about forest scenery." I laughed turning my head around and raised my eyebrow.

"Of course, what else would I be speaking of?" He replied back, adding a wink directed at me for extra measure. "Face forward." He said, I turned around and saw myself heading towards the base of a very large tree. My face went to shock and I quickly deviated from my path to move around it. I heard him laughing behind me loudly. Once again, if I were human I'd be blushing like crazy.

We got farther and deeper into the forest and we had yet to find anything appetizing. Just a few small critters like bunnies or foxes. We wanted something much bigger.

We heard the snapping of branches a couple miles out ahead of us. I stopped immediately and waited for Carlisle to catch up because he was being slow.

When he caught up he asked why I stopped.

"I heard a snapping of branches up ahead but I cannot determine what it is." I said cautiously.

"Why didn't you go after it Maggie?" He asked.

"I didn't want to hunt it and realize it was a human and hunt it and fall of the wagon again and go back to that place where I was because I can't do that again and…" He put his hand on my mouth to stop my rambling. I always rambled when I was nervous.

"I understand completely. Should I go up ahead and see what it is?" He asked with a soft smile. I smile and nodded.

He runs off and turns into a blur with his speed and I don't need to wait long before he is back with a smile.

"A herd of deer, a whole bunch of them." He said excitedly. "Not a human in sight."

"Race you?" I said with a small smirk on my face.

"Deal, whoever loses has to eat some type of human food."

"Okay, try not to get caught up in the scenery again Carlisle." I teased and he chuckles back.

We stand next to each other silently. Both staring at each other with the corner of our eyes, waiting for once of us to make a move.

"One." I said aloud. We dug our feet into the ground. We hold our unneeded breath.

"Two." He says. I guess he expects me to say three.

I take off running and scream three behind me and start running toward the herd of deer not very far away. I hear him call cheater and it sounds pretty far away so I feel safe. I was running so fast that the forest looked like a big blur of green. So fast that if things were blocking my path like branches or twigs I wouldn't even notice they touch me since I just slammed them trough.

I got to the clearing and saw about 15 deer just grazing. I noticed the largest one and head straight for it. When it was arm's length from me it disappears from my sight and I turn to see Carlisle munching on it.

That little cheater.

"You are so dead." I ran up the next biggest deer and latched onto it sucking it dry. When I finished I saw Carlisle on his second one. I giggled evilly and ran and jumped onto his back and pulled him off.

He stood up and looked at me. He saw my little smirk and laughed and jumped onto me and our roughhousing ensued.

(-)

"What do you mean she is dead?" A man in his mid to late 20's yelled at a young nurse. He was dressed in an old army outfit.

"I apologize sir! Our records show that she and her entire family died of the Spanish influenza." The nurse said softly, her voice wavering a bit.

"Yes I have heard that, but I talked to your mortician and he never got the body." Curtis said with a growl in his voice. "Do you at least know where she is buried?"

She told him the cemetery she had on record. He stormed out silently.