I Hate Myself Without You

Giraffe Legs

We had gotten back a day early from the tour. Matt took the van to his place because we had to head out to Nanaimo in 2 days. I quietly snuck into the house, thinking it would be a good idea to surprise the tiny, squirrelly girl in the house. I took off my shoes off and tip-toed through the hallway. Josline was standing in front of the sink cleaning the dishes. Something was different about her, but I couldn't place it. I snuck up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. I immediately regretted that decision. I received a sharp blow in the stomach from her elbow. I doubled over in pain. “Bloody hell Josh! You scared the bejesus out of me!” she exclaimed. I looked at her. I almost forgot she had a British accent. “Oh...I'm sorry.” She patted the top of my head and I cocked an eyebrow at her. I never did understand her.

“It's okay,” I breathed, “I had that one coming.”

“Well, if I knew you were going to be home, I wouldn't of done that!” She said. I stood upright, Josline's hands were on her hips. “So, what are you doing home early?” I took both of her hands in mine.

“I over-estimated how long it would take to get from Kamloops to here,” I explained. Josline rolled her eyes at me.

“Some times I love your stupidity,” she smirked at me. I pouted, then smiled.

“I missed you and your sarcastic bitchiness.” Josline laughed and hugged me.

“I missed my giraffe legs,” she mumbled into my chest. I mentally slapped my forehead. Josline always called me giraffe legs because I was so much taller than her. I would call her my little garden gnome, which she didn't always appreciate.

I then realized what was different about her. “You got a hair cut!” I exclaimed suddenly, startling Josline.

“Yeah...Marque and I went and had a girls day a few days ago,” she said. I nodded.

“That would explain it.”

“Mom?” a tired voice squeaked from behind us. Finley was there, in his PJ's. His eyes lit up when he realized I was there. “DAD!” he ran almost full force at me, wrapping his little arms around my legs. I wobbled before grabbing onto the counter for balance. I picked Finley up and held him close to me.

“Hey shark bait!” Josline chuckled and turned back to the dishes. “How are you?”

“Good,” Finley smiled. “Did you bring me anything?” he asked. Josline turned around and looked at our son.

“Finley Matthew!” She said sternly. Finley turned his head away from his mom.

“Sorry mommy...” Finley mumbled. I smiled lightly at him.

“It's okay, I bought you lots,” I whispered in his ear.

“I heard that,” Josline said.

“Blast! Quick, run Finley! Before she gets you!” I put Finley on the ground and he ran into his room. Josline pinched the bridge of her nose.

“You too dad! Hurry!” Finley exclaimed from outside of his room. I looked over at Josline who just shook her head at me and turned away. I chased after the little 4 year old who darted into his room. He jumped onto his bed and tried to pull the covers over his head, but I got to him too quickly. I started to tickle him and he squirmed around and tried to get away from me. “Dad! Stop!” he whine at me.

“Yeah dad, jeez,” Josline was leaning up against the door frame, a smile on her face. “Finley, you have to go to bed now.”

“But mom...” Finley whined again. “Dad's home!”

“I know dad's home. You'll see him all day tomorrow. But you need to go to sleep,” Josline said.

Finley looked up at me with wide, puppy-dog eyes. That was a trait he inherited from Josline, and he was damn good at it. I looked over at Josline desperately. “He's doing the thing again, I can't tell him to go to bed.”

“I'll make the both of you sleep in a guitar case,” Josline crossed her arms.

“Oh, I think she's serious about this one Finley. Best to not tempt her,” I said. Finley frowned.

“But I'm not tired!”

“See, this wouldn't of happened if you didn't come home.” Josline stated.

“Oh, I can leave if you want? I'll go hang out at Matt's.” I said. Finley clung on to my arm.

“No!” he gasped.

“Well, then you have to go to bed!” I said. Finley nodded and scrambled to get under his covers. Once he was finally under his Superman bed sheets I said good night and walked out of his room. Josline shut the door and looked at me.

“Nice work there Ramsay,” she said.

“I know. Never doubt my powers again,” I replied.

“Did I say I doubted them?”

“No...but don't ever doubt them!” Josline chuckled lightly and hugged me.

“I love you.” I smiled and pulled her tightly to me.

It was good to be home.
♠ ♠ ♠
The updates for this story wont be as frequent as they have been because my laptop has a virus on it that wont let me access virtually anything. :( Boo.

Did I mention that I love how Josh and Finley interact with one another?