Status: Finished

A Twist of Fate

2

Three months had passed since that day and things were going well. At least I thought they were. It was near the end of our first month as college students, but lately Josh had seemed to be avoiding me. I didn’t know why but as I headed up to his room I had a feeling I would know all too soon.

I entered the dorm to find his roommate was gone for the day. If I hadn’t known better I would have said no one was even home by the silence in the dorm. I looked around and found Josh sitting on the couch. He didn’t look at me till I was right beside him.

“Hey, you okay?” I asked him. His face looked troubled.

“Elena, I don’t know if I can do this anymore.” He said simply. No explanation or anything just one sentence and I felt my world crashing all around me.

“What do you mean you can’t do this anymore? We have half a year till the baby’s born and we had plans. Now you’re saying you can’t do this anymore.” I said in total disbelief.

“I’m sorry I thought I could handle it, but I’m just not ready to be a father. I know I made promises and I’m sorry. I really am Elena.” He said looking down at the ground.

“You don’t think you’re ready to be a father? DO YOU THINK I WANT TO BE A MOTHER SO SOON JOSH? I didn’t ask for this to happen, Josh it just did, but at least I’m willing to take responsibility for it. You said you loved me and we would raise it together, but I guess I’ve had you wrong all along.” I said and stormed out of his dorm. I didn’t turn back or pay attention to the stares as I ran out of the building crying.

I had hoped that I was one of the lucky girls whose boyfriends were serious about staying with them and helping them. Josh had really fooled me in to believing that too. Now I knew how wrong I had been, but despite it all I couldn’t bring myself to truly hate Josh. I knew in my heart that I still loved him and I didn’t know how to deal without him. Josh used to tell me we were meant to be, and that noting could tear apart the kind of love we had.

Now I knew what people meant when they said that I love you is eight letters long but so is bullshit. Slowly a week passed and then another. I forced myself to focus on school and work while I could still do them both. It had been almost a month since the day Josh said goodbye, but the sting was still fresh. I didn’t know how to let go when my heart was clinging to our love for dear life.