Status: Complete.

I'd Trade Just About Anything

Chapter 13

(Craig's POV) (3 days later, 6/20/08)
I sat alone in the waiting area on a chair, waiting to see Gab. All I could think about is how she could look now. Of course, she had to have changed. At least, a bit.
My eyes wandered around the scenery. It was peaceful, except all of the white was kinda freaking me out. There was a huge glass window, which revealed a small pond surrounded by, what seemed like, thousands of trees. I guess this place has been treating her nice
Then, she entered the room. There was a smile permanently plastered on her face. Her eyes lit up when she saw me. She wore denim skinny jeans, black flats and a plain grey v-neck. She let her natural blonde grow back out, it looked silky and bouncy. Just by hearing those first words come out of her mouth, I knew she was back to the way she used to be.
"Oh my God! Craig! How have you been?" she wrapped her arms around me and I did the same to her.
We pulled apart and I smiled at her, “I've been doing good, and you seem to be doing great!”
She grinned, “It's all thanks to the people here. They're so kind.”
I stayed silent and just admired her appearance. It was surreal how quickly she became the person who I remembered again. I was more than thankful for it.
A tall, brunette woman in a black skirt, white button up shirt and black heels walked to Gab and Gab smiled at her. “Craig, this is my therapist, Emily.”
Emily extended her hand out to shake mine, “Oh, so this is Craig. Gab has told me a lot about you. You're part of the reason she was motivated to get better, thank you.”
I nodded, “It's not a problem.”
Emily walked off and Gab inquired, taking my hand, “Do you wanna go outside and catch up?”
I replied, “Of course.”
She led me out the door of the building and we strolled around the pond area and talked.
“Why couldn't the guys come?” she asked, a bit disappointed.
I shrugged, “I don't know, I guess they have to deal with their girlfriends.”
“Well, don't you have to deal with your wife?” she questioned.
I sighed, remembering that I had never told her about what happened. “Well, actually...we split one month ago..”
“Aw...I'm really sorry, Craig.”
I bit my lip, not about to let myself cry in front of her. Thinking about what happened just hurts. I mean, we dated in high school, we were in this weird state where we were broken up for like three years but still had feelings for each other, we got back together and got married, she cheats on me with Joe, and now we're divorced. Fun.
Breaking the silence, Gab asked, “So...you're serious about letting me stay with you and Leila?”
“Of course. You need a place to stay, and I've needed someone that I can talk to at the house...it's been weird without Dani.”
She sighed, “Don't think about that right now. Everything will be fine.”
Whoa, now she's the one giving me a little pep-talk? Holy crap.
“I know...it's just a bit rough right now. It'll pass within the next month. With having someone else in the house, it should be better, too.”
She smiled and hugged me, “Thank you, Craig. You're amazing.”
“Well, enough about me, tell me about what's been going on with you,” I told her.
“Well,” she began and proceeded to tell be about everything that had been going on. The treatments, how nice everyone was and that she's happy she was able to get this help. She was great to be around. She definitely lifted my spirits. Living with her was going to be an easy thing to adjust to.
(Dani's POV)
“What happened...” was all I said to myself when I looked into the mirror.
My hair was a mess, I only had smudged eyeliner on, my face was breaking out and my nose and cheeks were turning pink from all of the alcohol I've been consuming. I was a wreck. I was no better emotionally than I looked physically. I was truly beginning to regret not accepting Joe's offer. It would be pointless to ask now. After what I screamed in his face, there's no way he would want to help me.
I shouldn't have said what I did. It wasn't his fault...it's my fault for not controlling myself. I should've said no, I shouldn't have let him kiss me. I was betraying the one man I can't live without, and now he's gone. All because of me. I'm 21...I shouldn't be wallowing in my guilt. I'm supposed to be partying. I'm supposed to be having the time of my life. But no, I'm drinking myself to death in my condo that I'm probably not going to be able to afford in a month.
Might as well live it up now. Ya know what? I'm gonna go out and party. If I don't do it now, I'm just gonna regret it later. I've got enough regrets already. I cleaned myself up; took a shower, did my make-up and hair and put on a clubbing outfit. I got into my car and drove to the first club I could find.
As soon as I was in, I was downing shots and dancing with every guy there. Some guys bought me drinks, and I drank everyone of them in an instant. I wasn't sure if I was having fun or just letting myself go further downhill. I honestly didn't care.
My “fun”, or whatever the hell it was, was interrupted by a familiar man's voice, “Dani?"
“What?” I turned my head to see the familiar tattooed man who I once had a relationship with. “Brian?”
He nodded and led me to the bar so we could talk. Even though I wanted to continue dancing, I was too out of it to even protest. We sat at the bar and I downed the first shot I was handed. Brian looked at me, a look of confusion and “what-the-hell-happened-to-you” on his face.
I inquired, sounding completely wasted, “Soooo, what's new with yooouu!”
He raised an eyebrow, “Nothing new, but what's up with you? You're really different.”
“Just livin' it up! Everyone's left me...there's noo need to even care!!!” I said, sounding more and more drunk with every word that escaped my mouth.
The bartender came up to me with a shot in his hand, “Courtesy of the gentlemen over there.”
I looked over to see some dude with weird look on his face and waving at me. Since I was too drunk to notice the look in his eyes, I just gulped down the shot he bought me and looked back at Brian. He started to look disappointed in me, but I ignored it and pulled him onto the dance floor. I danced around him for God knows how long before the room began spinning. My vision began to blur. I just remember seeing Brian's face before everything went black.