Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down

Chapter 3

The families laughed, even Malcolm. This must have been some sort of theme park. There was never anything in the flier about that.

Text continued to appear on the screen, typed in by a flickering cursor.

IT IS NOT A LIE.

YOU HAVE BEEN SENT HERE TO BE EXTERMINATED.


There was an enormous snap. Everyone jumped, and a few screamed.

Seconds earlier, people had been laying their hands on the armrests. The armrests had come alive, and metal tubing came shooting out like poisonous snakes around every victim’s wrists.

The metal chains’ grips got smaller and smaller, tightening until many were whimpering in pain.

It all stopped.

THESE ARE YOUR PERSONAL BRACELETS.

YOU MUST ENTER A NEW COURSE EVERY FIVE MINUTES BETWEEN COURSES.

OTHERWISE, AN EXPLOSION WILL GO OFF INSIDE THAT BRACELET.

THE SAME GOES FOR IF YOU BREAK IT OFF OR ATTEMPT TO ESCAPE.

NO TWO PEOPLE MAY ENTER THE SAME COURSE.

WELCOME TO YOUR DEATH.


The McCoreys were now glancing at one another, confused, not sure what to believe.

Chace was screaming inside his head.

I knew this wasn’t right! I knew it! We’re all going to die!

Samantha’s thoughts were still mingled with doubt.

Is this even possible? What they told is can’t be possible…but the bracelets…does that really mean…? And what’s a course?

Doors on the opposite side of the theatre wrenched open, spilling in dazzling sunlight. But the sunlight meant anything but happiness and freedom. Not now.

Slowly everyone rose, not wanting to see what was out there.

A clock appeared on the screen, with a digital readout of 4:59. It began to count down.

The families moved faster now, obeying the clock like trained dogs, reluctant but forced by the prod behind them.

Leona, shaking slightly with fear and worry, turned to face the other McCoreys in the sun.
“Promise that whatever happens, stay safe. Get out however you can…okay?” she whispered, voice trembling.

Chace and Samantha grimaced, but walked down one of the dirt pathway together toward the the wall seperating them from the rest of the area.

Malcolm came forward and embraced her in a gentle kiss. They broke apart, and his gray eyes gazed down at her.

Ten years ago, when they first met, Leona believed that Malcolm’s arms could shield her from anything. They were safe and warm, strong yet tender. It was as though nothing could go wrong, as long as he was there.

But not even her lover could not protect her from what was happening now.

“It’ll be all right,” he murmured carefully. He ran his hands through her hair. He let her go, and a silver tear fell from Leona’s face. She turned away before he could see it. Her face was buried in her hands.

“I love you.”

They took separate paths.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter will be more exciting, I promise.