Status: Start Date: July 1, 2010. Finish Date: N/A

Drop Dead Bitches

The Jolly Take-Down

Chapter 12: The Jolly Take-Down
Caitlyn sat on the couch, the TV on to a classic Christmas movie. She had been home all day, abandoned and lonely while everyone else was out Christmas shopping or doing something affiliated with the holiday season.
She was upset that she wasn’t capable of feeling the Christmas spirit. The day before the DuPaul family had put up their Christmas tree and it was always Caitlyn’s job to climb up the ladder and put the angel on top of the high tree but considering her broken leg, it was impossible so instead she hung up the ornaments.
Sitting at home was definitely not her idea of spending break.
There was a knock at the door and she got up using her crutches to get to the door where Alexis and Sydney stood, anxious to reveal the scandalous news Sydney held.
“It’s about time! I was on the verge of dying from boredom!”
“Oh, don’t get your panties in a bunch!” Alexis said, walking in.
“We’re sorry but it was definitely worth the wait. You just watch,” Sydney squealed excitedly.
“What is it?” Caitlyn asked, walking into the kitchen where they all sat.
“I don’t even know. She wanted to tell us at the same time,” Alexis responded.
“Yeah, because your expressions would be absolutely priceless when you see this picture I found.”
“Let’s see how useful you really are,” Alexis said, taking the picture from Sydney’s hands.
At first Alexis’s expression was confused but it wasn’t long until she realized what she was really looking at and gasped, her hands flying to her mouth as she dropped the picture.
“What is it?” Caitlyn asked.
Sydney slid the picture across the table top to Caitlyn who picked it up and new immediately what it was. “Is that…?”
“Theresa,” Sydney said, nodding her head.
“And Derek?!” Alexis cried.
“When was this taken?” Caitlyn asked.
“It says down here… September eighteen.”
Caitlyn thought about it for a moment then realized what September eighteen was. “That was the night of the bonfire!” she exclaimed.
“Alexis, what’s wrong?” Sydney asked.
Alexis still stood there, frozen. A sheet of tears covered her eyes but she had enough control than to let them fall over. Her face was bright red, her hands clenched into fists, and pure anger was radiating from her.
“Alexis…?”
“Girls…,” she said slowly between her clenched teeth. “Get ready. This slut is going down once and for all.”

“How about this one?” Derek asked, pointing at yet another tree.
“Too fat,” Theresa said with once quick glace.
“I’m not one to complain but how many more trees are we going to go through, Tess?” he laughed.
“Until we find the perfect one! It has to be tall and thin not small and fat like your tree.”
“Hey! My tree has character.”
“Whatever stops the tears,” she laughed.
“So are your parents coming home for Christmas?”
“Of course they are,” she said with an unsure tone in her voice. “They have to….”
“When was the last time you’ve seen them?”
She shrugged her shoulders. “My mom came home for my sisters birthday over summer break.”
“What is it that they do?”
“That one!” she exclaimed. “That tree right there! It’s perfect!” She grabbed his hand and dragged him toward the tree.
“Which ribbons do you want to put on it?” Derek asked Tamara when they got back to the Santos home. They had already set up the tree and had the ornaments, ribbons, candy canes, and angel all set.
Tamara dug through the box of ribbons and pulled out a sparkling golden one. “This one!”
“That’s pretty! Do you want me to help you start it off?”
“Yes please!” she said with a wide smile.
He laughed. “Okay, come here.” Derek picked up the little girl by her hips and she began wrapped the ribbon around the tree.
Theresa stood off to the side, her hands resting on her growing belly. She smiled as she watched Derek play with her little sister. There was just something about him… the warmth of his eyes and smile, the tenderness of his touch, the way he seemed so naturally paternal. She couldn’t believe that this was the guy she once knew from second grade, the kid that had no respect for girls, that got into fights with other boys, talked back to the teachers, rebelled against his parents, did drugs, and drank. He was an entirely new person and she felt guilty for just now realizing that. All the things that she put him through since the year started, putting him into a position he never wanted and wasn’t ready for. She ruined his life….
“Theresa, what’s wrong?” Tamara asked in her adorable high voice. “Do you want a candy cane?” she asked, holding out hers that was half eaten.
Theresa laughed.
“I think she wants a new one,” Derek suggested, giving Tamara a new candy cane to give to her sister.
“Here you go,” Tamara said, handing it to Theresa.
“Thank you, honey,” Theresa said and smiled, bending down to give her sister a tight hug.
She then skipped off to continue decorating the tree as she sang along to Christmas music.
“What’s wrong?” Derek asked, brushing a tear off Theresa’s cheek.
“I just want to thank you.”
“It’s no problem! I wouldn’t want you to have to get the tree yourself.”
“I’m not talking about just the tree. I’m talking about everything you’ve done. For being here for me, for understanding, for keeping me together when it felt like everything else was falling apart. You’re the only person I can turn to now.”

“What’re your plans for the holiday’s?” Colin asked as he and Ryan played basketball in Colin’s backyard.
Ryan shrugged his shoulders and shot the basketball into the hoop. “I’m leaving tomorrow to head back to Florida and be with my family. Yourself?” he asked, quickly moving the topic away from him.
Colin caught the ball. “So since you’re leaving tomorrow I guess you aren’t coming to the Christmas party? And majority of my family lives in Virginia. My parents are leaving today, Caitlyn and I are leaving this weekend to spend it there like always.”
“Unfortunately, no. And Virginia is a great place.”
“You’ve been there?”
He hesitated to say but smiled and nodded. “I’ve visited.”
“Hi Ryan,” Mrs. DuPaul greeted from the back door.
“Hey Mrs. DuPaul!”
“If you don’t mind, Colin has to drop off his father and I at the airport now.”
“Oh, it’s perfectly fine. I have to pack my bags for tomorrow anyways.”
“Alright, I’ll see you when I get back, bro,” Colin said as Ryan left the house.
Ryan walked to his car feeling guilty. For half of his life, lying was what he lived off of but he didn’t understand why it was so much harder when it came to lying to Colin.

“I’m surprised Alexis actually invited you,” Colin said as they drove to the Wilson house for the Christmas party the next night. “And to your face.”
“It’s the holiday’s. There’s no need to be bitter.”
“…that’s not what you said last year when she didn’t invite you.”
“That’s because I had other plans,” she said.
He scoffed. “Sure you did.”
They arrived at the gate that was decorated in sparkling lights. Colin pressed the button, calling the house for them to open it. The iron gates slowly opened and Colin drove up to the house, swinging around the large fountain and giving the keys to the valet.
The house was completely lit up, in the garden there was moving reindeer, snowmen, and Santa in his sleigh. Since this was California and it never snowed, the grass was covered in artificial snow that made it look like a true winter wonderland. Christmas music was flowing out of the house and the spirit was just in the air.
In the sixteen years of knowing Caitlyn, Alexis has never invited her to her house. Theresa had talked about how big the house was but she always thought she was exaggerating.
“Hello,” Alexis greeted as she opened the door to let them in.
“Where should I put these?” Caitlyn asked, holding up the bags full of Christmas presents for their friends.
“Just place the under the tree. Follow me!”
Colin stared at the two as they walked away side by side, confused at what brought on this unimaginable alliance. Maybe it was a Christmas miracle…. He laughed at the thought.

“Is she here yet?” Caitlyn asked murmured as she and Alexis placed the presents under the large tree.
“She’ll be here soon. Derek is driving her.”
“Shocker,” Caitlyn said sarcastically.
“So do you have them?”
“Yeah.” She dug in her purse and pulled out Christmas envelopes with names written on each of them.
Alexis took them and hid them beneath the tree until the time would come.
“Caitlyn!” Nick exclaimed, walking toward the girls.
“Nick?!” she said in shock. “What’re you doing here?”
“You’re welcome,” Alexis smiled at Caitlyn and walked away to entertain her guests.
“I honestly don’t know,” he laughed. “I never get invited to these things. I almost fainted when Alexis Wilson invited me.”
She laughed. “You and me both.”
“Peppermint mocha latte?” he offered.
She took a sip of his and smiled.
“Like Christmas in a cup, huh?”
She laughed, “definitely.”

“Do you ever have those days where you just have that strong foreboding that something is going to go wrong?” Theresa asked.
Derek chuckled. “What do you mean?”
“I don’t know. It’s just that I’m hardly welcome anywhere and going to a gathering with a bunch of people who hate me doesn’t seem like such a good idea.”
“What person would be as sick as to pull a Grinch and ruin Christmas?”
She shrugged her shoulders and sighed. “I guess you’re right but please don’t leave my side. The last thing I want is to run into Melanie and those bitches,” she said in disgust.
“Don’t worry, the last thing I want to do is run into Colin,” he laughed.
“How’s your face?”
He chuckled. “Better than before.”
They gathered the Christmas presents Theresa had bought and knocked on the front door.
In a matter of seconds Alexis was at the door and greeted them with a wide smile.
“Hi,” Theresa said and waved nervously.
“I’m glad you two made it,” she said over enthusiastically.
Theresa smiled and Alexis smiled back.
“Hey Alexis,” Derek said, opening his arms for a hug.
“You can set those presents down over here,” she said, ignoring him and leading Theresa to the tree.
“Uhm… thanks for inviting me, Alexis. I’m really sorry about what happened with Colin but you just need to know that-”
“I know and it’s fine!” Alexis lied. “It’s a Christmas party. No drama, just joy!”
Theresa smiled sincerely. “Well thank you.”
Alexis smiled back. “Peppermint mocha?” she asked, gesturing to the servants walking around with mugs.

“He’s giving me the death stare,” Derek said under his breath to Theresa.
“You aren’t the only one,” she responded, letting her hair fall between her and Colin. “Do you think he told anyone?”
“I don’t think so…. A couple weeks ago it seemed like he told Alexis but if he would have, everyone would know by now. You know how Alexis is. She’ll use whatever dirt she has against someone who she doesn’t like to good use.”
She sighed. “Let’s just hope.”
“Okay, everyone! It’s time for presents!” Alexis called.
There was excited squeals from everyone as they turned around to face the tree packed with presents under it. It seemed as if Alexis was Mrs. Claus With her elegant red dress with white stockings and her Santa hat.
Alexis passed out the presents one by one until everyone had a stack of presents beside them. All but Theresa. Derek had put his presents between the two of them to confuse people into thinking they were hers instead of his but everyone knew the truth when Theresa’s name didn’t get called once.
“That’s all of it!” Alexis finally said cheerfully then threw a glance over at Theresa who sat there embarrassed.
“Except for that stack of Christmas cards,” a boy named Adam.
“Oh! I didn’t see those,” Alexis giggled and reached behind the tree. “Silly me.”
She read off the names one by one, handing everyone an envelope including Theresa.
“Who’s this from? It doesn’t have any name on it,” Melanie asked.
Alexis shrugged her shoulders, sliding her finger into the envelope and tearing it open. Everyone else did the same, unaware of the looks Alexis, Caitlyn, and Sydney shared.
She retrieved the contents of the envelope and opened the card the same time as everyone else. Then her forehead creased in confusion. Alexis looked up and saw that everyone including Caitlyn and Sydney had the same expression.
Everyone’s shocked expression turned to Theresa and Derek.
Theresa sat there, frozen and all color gone from face. The tears were built up in her eyes but refused to fall.
Derek was still looking down at the card as if trying to make the words rearrange into a Merry Christmas instead of their unveiled secret.
“You pregnant whore!” Alexis cried.
Suddenly Theresa broke into tears, throwing down the card and ran out of the house followed by Derek calling her name.

“Theresa, wait! Where are you going?” Derek called, running after her. “Theresa, stop!”
“Derek, just stop! Look, I’m carrying your baby and that’s all there is to it. You don’t have to be in my life just because you got me pregnant. You don’t have to care. All I’ve ever done was bring you down and you don’t need that!”
“Theresa, we can fix this. We can find out who did this and-”
“It doesn’t matter!” she yelled. “Whoever did this got what they wanted and now my life is ruined.”
“Go away with me.”
“What?!” she asked, baffled.
“Let’s leave this place. It doesn’t matter where we go or where we are. Let’s just go some place quiet, some place peaceful. We’ll find a place for us.”
“What?! Are you crazy, you can’t! …But there is one thing you can do for me.”
“Anything,” he said, taking her hands into his.
“Drop me off at the airport. I’m leaving.”

“Well that was a bit… mean,” Nick said.
“Welcome to my world,” Caitlyn sighed.
“Who would do this?” Nick asked in disgust. “What kind of cruel person would want to destroy someone’s life?!”
Caitlyn looked down, biting her lip and shaking her head. “I don’t know,” she whispered.
“Nick, can we speak to Caitlyn alone?” Alexis asked.
“Yeah, I’ll go pack your things in your car,” he said.
“Thanks,” Caitlyn said and smiled at him.
“You’re a lot more evil than I thought,” Alexis said with a smirk.
Caitlyn shook her head. “I didn’t do this,” she whispered.
“Then who did?” Sydney asked.
“I don’t know but whoever did it must have been here and switched the envelopes when no one was looking because if it wasn’t me or you or Sydney then someone else definitely had it out for Theresa.”
“Well whoever did it, props to them,” Alexis smiled.
“Whoever did this took it too far, Alexis.”
“Are you kidding me?! Theresa got what she deserved. Did you forget what she did to you and your brother? That backstabbing bitch had it coming.”
Caitlyn thought about it then eventually nodded her head in agreement. “You’re right. She messed with me and my brother; she definitely had it coming.”

Christmas morning rolled around and for some of us, joy filled the air. Or at least squeals and “oh my gosh’s”. Caitlyn was blessed with a car of her own, Colin with a new laptop, and Alexis received money under the tree that will last about two months if she were to go on a shopping spree everyday.
Then there were those of us who believed Christmas wasn’t about the materialistic things but the things you should be grateful for like Derek De Luca who had the togetherness of his family as they all ate a Christmas breakfast together, talking, laughing, hiding.
And just like Thanksgiving, there were those of us who were on our own. Ryan woke up on the beaches of Cabo San Lucas half naked and hung-over, unsure of what had happened the night before and not sure if he wanted to know at all.
But despite all the diverse situations of these bitches in the Harbor there’s one who’s departure spread like wildfire like the discovery of her pregnancy. Theresa Santos is rumored to have left the west coast for good a couple nights before Christmas, leaving behind all that she has once known. When will Theresa’s face show up around here again? We will never know but what I do know is one bitch down, five to go.
It looks like Christmas wishes do come true! Merry Christmas and a happy new years, bitches.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drop Dead Bitches: The Jolly Take-Down