Status: thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing!----check out the sequel summary>>>>>>

Cutting Out Paper Hearts

chapter ten

Nicknames. I hate them. People decide to give you them for no apparent reason and then you get them mixed up and soon everything gets confusing. But on the other hand, it’s useful because if everyone has a different name for you, then you can tell who you’re talking to without looking at them. I have mixed feelings about nicknames actually; they’re just there I guess.

“So, Bails-of-hay,” June’s nickname for me, “what’d you do for your birthday?” They had come over for the night and we were sitting around in my room with nothing to do. Denny was in his room next door with Thurstan. I had warned him earlier that if I hear anything even mildly suggestive from his room, I’ll tell him and then I’ll punch him.

My birthday? Oh crap, that was two days ago. I bit my lip, staring at the flashing TV screen as we searched for a good movie. Madisyn was sitting on my bed listening to my iPod through one ear and the conversation with the other ear.

“Oh, uh, well-you know.”

“You didn’t do shit, did you?” Madisyn asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Everyone forgot, but it’s okay because we never do anything anyways.” I shrugged. “Keep this on.” June looked at the screen before shrugging and tossing the remote up near my pillows. She too was sitting on my bed.

“Lee,” Madisyn’s nickname for me, “it was your birthday. You were supposed to have the best day of the year with your family and get everything you wanted.”

I snorted, “Yeah, surrrre.”

“Bay,” Denny’s nickname for me, “do you need anything? We’re going downstairs.” Denny said, poking his head in the doorway with Thurstan behind him. They were holding hands but trying to hide it by keeping their hands out of sight. I smiled. Madisyn looked disgusted while June seemed to be unsure if she found it gross or natural. “Madisyn? June? Need anything?”

“Not from you.” Madisyn snapped in disgust.

“We’re fine, D.” June said with an apologetic tone. Denny bit his lip, looking at Madisyn with some emotion I couldn’t place before heading downstairs with Thurstan. “Mad, what the fuck was that about?”

Madisyn looked at her with disgust as well. Probably for being okay with Denny being gay. “I’m calling my mom. That-” she looked at me, pointing at the doorway, “that is just gross.”

Guess you never really know who your friends are till your brother turns gay. I waved goodbye to Madisyn with June beside me, her bag over her shoulder. She was going to leave to just in case Denny didn’t want her here after how Madisyn reacted. I told she could-should- stay but she said no, that it didn’t feel right since the whole house felt awkward after Mad’s remarks.

“Bye, June.”

“Bye, Bails-of-hay. How about you come over tomorrow and we’ll do something that’ll make up for your horrid, forgotten about birthday?” June smiled at me, tossing her bag in the back seat of her older brother’s car. He used to be a friend of Denny’s before he decided my brother wasn’t good enough. Stupid asshole.

“Sounds great. Bye, Jace.” I smiled to the glaring boy. He was glaring at Denny’s bedroom window. I cleared my throat, getting his attention off the two boys kissing in the window. Jace-June’s brother-smiled at me. “See you tomorrow.”

I went back to my room and fell asleep.

“Bails?”
♠ ♠ ♠
do you like Madisyn and June?

[thanks for the comment,DevouringDreams]