Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 18

The past month has been crazy in the Dawson-Kane household. Patrick and the Blackhawks made it to the one place they all have been dreaming of. The Stanley Cup finals. The Hawks have played some great teams to get where they are. They beat the Predators in the first round in game six. They also managed to beat the Canucks in six games and with the win against Vancouver the Hawks advanced to the Conference final against the San Jose Sharks. They swept the Sharks in Chicago and you can bet that Jazmynn, Katie and I where there to cheer the boys on. So that’s why we are here today, in Philadelphia for games six of the finals.

The teams had just come out on the ice for warm ups and the crowd was already getting rowdy. I was nervous and nauseous all at the same time. I was silently cursing myself for bringing Jazmynn here, but I having Katie here with me made it a little better. I looked at Katie who was sporting a Toews jersey and already sitting at the edge of her seat.

I placed a hand on her arm. “Relax, there’s nothing you can do and the game hasn’t even started yet. Don’t get yourself worked up.” I looked to my right. “That means you too, Jaz. I don’t want you getting too upset so quickly.” I told my daughter. The playoffs have opened up a new side of her. She gets so worked up sometimes, the one game against the Sharks she got so worked up she made herself sick.

“Okay mommy.” She smiled and went back to playing with her towel.

I looked at Katie again who had her eyes trained on Jon on the ice. “How do you do it?” She asked, never breaking eye contact with the ice. “How can you sit here and watch Patrick do this over and over again?”

I chuckled. “You get use to it. I’ve been friends with Pat for three years now. I’ve been going to his games for that long too. Now the Finals are something new for me…for all of us. It’s been crazy and stressful at the house. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve noticed that with Jazmynn at school.”

She shook her head. “Not at all, I would have sent a note home if I did.” She smiled. “Jon’s been pretty stressed out too.”

Ever since I told Jon to invite Katie to the Preds game, the two of them have been hanging out when they could and Katie has been going to every home game with Jaz and I. I was happy for my friend, he seemed happy with Katie even though they’ve only been ‘together’ for a couple of months. They weren’t official, but I knew it was soon. Katie and I have become pretty close too which was nice since Kiara and I haven’t spoken since I talked to her in September. I’ve missed the companion of a girl. Sure I had the WAGs that I got along with, but I was lacking that one girl I got close with and it was Katie.

The sound of the buzzer got my attention. Game six had begun.

***

I was on my feet, I have been for the past ten minutes. The games was tied and the clock was running down, three….two….one…..overtime. The buzzer sounded and the arena went crazy. Extra hockey. With a loud sigh I sat back down in my seat and ran my hands down my face. I didn’t do well with overtimes…add the fact that the Stanley Cup was at stake. Yeah I was a mess. I pulled my phone out and sent Patrick and Jon a text.

You are playing amazingly! I love you so much, keep it up. Jaz sends her love <3
You guys are playing great! Keep skating hard and do what you do best. I love you and no matter what, you will always be my favorite captain…unless you lose. Then I’ll hate you forever..JK. Keep it up and I’ll see ya after Captain Serious ;)

I tucked my phone back into my pocket. “I need a drink, you will me Katie?”

She looked up from her phone where she was no doubt texting Jon. “Huh? Yeah a drink sounds like a great idea. I need something to calm my nerves.”

“Come on Jaz, let’s go get something to drink.” I told her, picking her up. She fussed and fought me, but I didn’t give in. There was no way I was letting her walk around. It was crazy around here and there were lots of drunk Flyers fans. I wasn’t taking a chance with it. “Katie, can you just get me a soda please?”

The three of us were walking back to our seats when we were stopped by a couple of drunk fans. I tightened my grip on Jazmynn and tried to ignore them.

“Where do you think you two are going?” One asked, with slurred speech.

I looked at Katie and she looked a little scared. I turned my attention back to the assholes standing in front of us. “Back to our seats.” I told them, trying to get by.

“Why don’t you two pretty things come sit with us and cheer for the winning team?” the other asked, winking at us.

I resitered the urge to gag. “Uh last time I checked, the score was tied…there is no winner…yet. We’ll be sure to cheer extra loud for you two though when we win.”

I grabbed Katie’s hand and pulled her past the men and back to our seats. Not taking any chances, I set Jazmynn between the two of us. Before the buzzer sounded, I pulled my phone out and saw that both the guys had responded. I read Patrick’s first.

Thanks Lys! I love you too and I’ll see you down on the ice in twenty minutes. ;)

I shook my head and read Jon’s response.

Thanks Lys. I love you too. Your text made me smile. See ya after

I looked at the ice and smiled. I had a good feeling about this. The overtime period started like there wasn’t just a twenty minute break. The energy was intense and once again I was on my feet. I really went crazy when Patrick had a breakaway and took a shot on Leighton. Then everything stopped, Patrick started celebrating like the puck went in, but there was indication that it had. But soon the rest of the team caught on and started rushing onto the ice. I looked at Katie who was looking at me with the same confused expression.

“Did they…?” She asked, but trailed off.

“THEY JUST FUCKING WON THE STANLEY CUP!” I finished for her and together we both started celebrating with the rest of the team. “Jazmynn, daddy won!” I had tears in my eyes as I watched the man I loved and my friends celebrating their win.

“Can we go see him?” She asked, clearly not understanding what exactly Patrick had just won.

“Yes, baby, we can. Come on.” I picked her up and lead Katie to the ice level where we showed our passes and were aloud on the ice.
Adam Burish was the first person I saw. “Adam!”

He spun around and had a shit eating grin on his face. “Alyssa, we did it! We fucking did it!”

I hugged him the best I could with Jaz in my arms. “I know! I’m so proud of you guys!”

He kissed my cheek and skated off to see his brother and parents. I noticed that Katie wasn’t next to me anymore and I soon spotted her with her arms wrapped around a certain Captain. I smiled when I saw Jon lean down and capture Katie in a sweet kiss. I looked around the ice for my blue eyed guy, when I spotted him talking to his parents and sisters.

“Alyssa!” I spun around at the sound of my name and saw Abby Sharp heading towards me. When she got to me she wrapped my in a huge hug. When we pulled away I noticed she had tears in here eyes. “They did it! I can’t believe it, they did it.”

I had tears in my eyes as well. “I know, I can’t believe it either. I’m so proud of them.”

“I am too.” A familiar voice said from behind me.

“Hey there Captain Serious. Congratulations. I am so fucking proud of you.” I wrapped him in a one arm hug,

He hugged me right back. “Thank you Alyssa. Why don’t I take Jaz for you right now? I know Patrick wants to see you.” He said reaching for Jazmynn. “What do you say Jaz, do you want to go meet Uncle Jon’s parents and brother? I know they want to meet you.”

Jazmynn smiled. “Yeah, but I want to see daddy too.”

“Soon, baby. I know daddy wants to see you too.” I told her, stepping onto the carpet the crew rolled out. I made my way towards Patrick, stopping to congratulate friends as I walked pass them. I saw that Pat was now talking to some press and I didn’t want to interrupt, so I just stood back and waited.

“Why are you standing back here?” Sharpie asked, skating next to me.

I crossed my arms. “I don’t want to interrupt.” I told him. “Congratulations, I’m proud of you guys.”

He smiled and jerked his chin in Patrick’s directions. “It’s him you should be proud of.”

“Oh, I am.” Without a word, I made my way towards Patrick. Sneaking up behind him, I wrapped my arms around his waist. “Hello there Mr. Stanley Cup Champ.”

He didn’t acknowledge me at first, he quickly wrapped up his interview and when the reported was gone he turned in my arms. “You have no idea how amazing that is to hear.” His smile lit up his entire face. He got serious though. “Alyssa, we did it…we fucking won the Stanley Cup.” He whispered and I watched as tears filled his eyes.

I hugged him tighter. “No, you did it. You’re the one that scored the overtime goal.” I kissed him. “I am so proud of you Patrick. We’ve been through so much the past three years and you’re finally here. You did it.” This time it was my turn to cry. “I love you so much Patrick.”

He hugged me and kissed me again. “God, I love you too Alyssa.”

Together, Patrick and I made our way around the ice to congratulate our friends. Jon gave Jazmynn back to me, but Patrick took her from me and skated around the ice with her. I sat at the Hawks bench and watched as he did this. Patrick was amazing with Jazmynn and I had no fear in giving him the news I found out last week. I was slightly shocked when I received the news, but that quickly subsided and I was excited. I just didn’t know when to tell Patrick because I didn’t want to tell him during the Finals. Katie joined me again on the bench and she had a sleepy looking Jazmynn on her shoulder. We watched as the Conn Smyth was awarded to Jonathan and then the Cup was presented to the team. I went crazy as it was passed from team mate to team mate. I snapped so many pictures, that I ran out of memory before my batteries died.

Many crazy hours later, I was back in my own bed, in my own house with Patrick laying next to me. I was exhausted, I could feel it, but I was so wired from the past couple of hours that I couldn’t sleep.

“Are you awake?” I whispered.

I heard him groan. “Yes, but I’m so tired. I can’t sleep.”

“Same here.” I rolled over so I was facing him. I placed my hand on his finally smooth cheek. “I really am proud of you, Patrick. You have no idea.”

Patrick placed his hand on my waist. “Thank you, Alyssa. I’m so glad that I had you there to support me through everything that I’ve been through the past couple of years.” He sat up and I laid my head on his chest. He ran a hand through my hair and continued to speak. “I know I’ve been a handful with everything and you stuck by me with everything. You even flew out to Buffalo with me for my hearing.” He leaned down and kissed my forehead. “I love you so much, Alyssa.” He shifted and then placed something in his lap, right in front of my face.

Not being able to see what it was, I sat up and turned on the lamp. When I looked at the item, I gasped. It was a ring box. “Patrick?” I whispered.

He smiled and took my hand. “Alyssa, I love you so much. You are my best friend, like I said before, we’ve been through so much, but you’ve stood by me and supported me. Plus, we now have an amazing daughter together and I want more of that. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Alyssa Dawson, will you marry me?”

I was speechless and I was crying almost uncontrollably, but it was all my emotions from the events today finally catching up with me. I looked at Patrick and all I saw in his eyes was the love he spoke of. He really was my best friend and I did love him. “Yes, I will. Patrick, I love you.”

He kissed me and placed the ring on my finger. It was simple and it was beautiful. I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him again. Now would be a great time to tell him. “I have something to tell you.”

He pulled away and looked at me. “What is it?”

“I’m pregnant.” I smiled.

“You’re what?” He asked, shock written across his face.

My smile faultered a little. That couldn’t be a good response. “Uh, I’m pregnant. I found out last week. I didn’t want to tell you and mess with your game…” I trailed off when he didn’t say anything.

“How far along are you?”

“Almost two months.”

He was quiet for a minute. “That would mean, we conceived after the first game of the playoffs.”

I nodded my head, unable to speak. I couldn’t tell if he was excited or if he was upset. Suddenly I didn’t feel so confident in my thoughts from earlier. “Patrick, please tell me what you are thinking.” I whispered.

He grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. “I’m excited, I really am. I just told you that I wanted more kids with you and I meant that.” He kissed me. “I love you and I love our kid.”

I smiled through my tears and kissed him back. “I love you, too.” I let out a yawn and Patrick chuckled. We turned the light off and finally managed to fall asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this story just seems to be poppin' lol. I have more written for this, but I want to work on my other stories too and get them updated, so just hang in there.

Thanks to those two people who commented on the last chapter, you know who you are and you know how much I appreciate the feed back. Keep the comments coming guys.

oh yeah and Kaner now is on twitter...go follow him. @88PKane