Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 22

Just when I thought this summer couldn’t get any better, my day with the Cup arrived. Alyssa had been planning on joining me on my trek around town since we became friends and both dreamed of the Stanley Cup and I couldn’t wait to share these moments with her.

We started our day off with visiting a local hospital’s cancer ward. Alyssa wasn’t so sure if she wanted to go with me, but I all but begged her. I hated doing these hospital visits even if it meant everything to the patients no matter the age, I was just never comfortable with it, but with Alyssa there I felt like I could do it. Finally she agreed to walk through with me and she was a hit with everyone. They were just as excited to see a pregnant woman then they were to see me and the Cup. She was great with everyone and when we got to the pediatric ward she lost her composure and had to leave. I didn’t blame her, seeing children suffer like that tugs at anyone’s heart strings.

Once we were done at the hospital I took Alyssa to lunch and that’s where our day turned sour. I wasn’t expecting to run into anyone from my past, but there she was standing there staring at me like she expected me to remember who she was. I glanced down at her name tag that was perched on top of perky breasts practically busting out of her black v-neck. Tiffany. She seemed to think I knew her, but then she mentioned a party and I remembered her. We slept together for a month or so last summer. I glanced at Alyssa and noticed she wasn’t there, when did she leave? I wondered as I continued to stare at the girl before me.

Before I could say or do anything, she was taking Alyssa’s seat and she grabbed my hand.

“Congrats, Patrick. Buffalo is proud of you.” She practically purred and I remember why we slept together for so long.

I swallowed hard. “Uh, thanks.”

“How have you been?”

I reached behind me and scratched the back of my neck. Where was Alyssa? “I’ve been uh- I’ve been good. Just busy with everything that surrounds winning the Cup. Also getting married soon.” I smirked when she all but dropped my hand.

“Married? To who? That fat bitch that left about ten minutes ago?” She sneered.

What? Left? I looked around and saw no sign of my fiancée. “Uh, yes married and she’s not fat. She’s pregnant.” Tiffany’s eyes grew five times their normal size as she started at me. Oh shit.

“Well well, looks like Party Boy Kane finally slipped up and got a girl pregnant. It was bound to happen.”

I stood up and pulled a twenty out of my wallet and tossed it on the table. Without a word I went to my truck and drove home. I shouldn’t have opened my mouth. I should have suggested we go to another place as soon as I recognized her, but no. I just sat there and stared at her like an idiot.

When I got home I looked around the house for Alyssa. I saw that Jazmynn was asleep in Erica’s old room so I knew Alyssa was home because she wouldn’t sleep if one of us wasn’t around. I went back downstairs and spotted my mom in the kitchen.

“Hey sweetie,” she smiled. “How was has your day been so far?”

“Good, hey have you seen Lys? She said she wasn’t feeling well earlier and left at lunch.” I told her. Without a word she pointed to the back yard. I turned and spotted Alyssa sitting pool side with her feet in the water. I quickly made my way to her.

“Where the hell did you disappear to?” I asked her. Great start to the conversation there Patrick I scolded myself.

“I wasn’t feeling good and then I ran into Jackie and the girls.” She whispered.

“Why didn’t you come back to the table? I would have taken you home.”

She stood up and finally looked at me with anger burning in her eyes. “Because I didn’t want to interrupt your little reunion with your friend.” she snapped and went to walk past me, but I stopped her with a hand on her arm.

“Alyssa, will you let me explain?” I begged.

“No, there is nothing to explain. I’m going to go lay down for a little bit. I think I’m done going with you today, though.” She said and walked away. I tried to just stay outside and give her some space, but I needed answers. I quickly went up to my childhood room and found Alyssa laying in my bed

“Listen to me, Alyssa. I have no idea what the hell happened today, but I’m going to tell you what happened. We were having a wonderful afternoon together and all of a sudden you up and left.”

She sat up quick for beginning pregnant and glared at me. “It wasn’t all of a sudden, Patrick. I came back from the bathroom and saw the waitress sitting there holding your hand. Tell me, Pat what was I supposed to think?”

I sighed, not sure what to say about this. “I don’t know.”

“Do you remember her?” she asked quietly.

I ran my hand through my hair and sat on the bed, away from her. “Yeah I do, I didn’t remember at first, but I do. My cousin and I went to this party last year when you were in Winnipeg and we met this girl.”

“Tiffany.”

I nodded. “Yeah her, we started talking and drinking and then I don’t remember much of what happened after the shots we began taking. We slept together and it lasted more than a couple of days.”

“How long?”

“A month or so.” I admitted.

Alyssa didn’t say anything, but I could see she was fighting with herself. “Alyssa,” I said quietly, placing a hand on her foot, needing some kind of contact with the girl I loved. My heart sank when she pulled it away and curled up in a ball. “You know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

“Really Patrick? Because last time I checked not telling your best friend that you had a girlfriend for a month is hurting her. I thought you told me everything.”

“I don’t have to tell you everything little god damn thing I do. You aren’t my mother.” I snapped.

“You think I don’t know that, but I’m not talking about now. Before we were dating you told me everything that happened when I was with Jon. Why didn’t you tell me about her?”

“Because it wasn’t a big deal.”

“Not a big deal? Patrick Kane slept with the same girl for more than a night, that’s a big freaking deal.”

“Shut up,” I exclaimed

“Excuse me?!” She yelled and had every right to. “You did not just tell me to shut up did you?”

“I did, because all you keep talking about is Tiffany.” I yelled back.

“That’s because that’s what this is all about. Tiffany. Hell, this isn’t even about you not telling me about her. This is about the fact that you sat there and stared at her and didn’t say a word. Then I come back and see the two of you holding hands. Out of curiosity, do the two of you hook up when the team comes to play Buffalo? I mean hell, if you kept that from me then there’s got to be other things you keep from me.”

“God dammit, Alyssa! Why do you keep thinking I’m keeping something from you? It was one time I didn’t tell you something. I didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“Well guess what you did!”

I noticed the time on the clock and I had to leave. So I turned and walked out of the room “I have more things to do. I guess I’ll just see you later” and with that I closed the door and made my way downstairs.

Mom and dad were sitting in the living room and gave me a look as I walked by and I knew they had heard the fight. “I’ve got to go, I’ll be home later.” I told them and walked out the door and to my car.

Once I was inside I made my way to the local fire station and from there we were going into the city to do something pretty neat. I was going into the cherry picker above the city with the Cup. When I arrived at the station there were tons of people standing around and cheering for me. I let out a deep breath and put a smile on, something that has become natural after everything I’ve been through.

Once again pictures were taken and autographs were signed. I let the firefighters get their picture taken with the Cup before I went above the city. Finally it was time to go up in the cherry picker and I was both excited and nervous. I never did well with heights, but this was a pretty cool experience. The view from above the city was beautiful and something I wish Alyssa was here to share with me. Thinking about the fight that we had drained some of my excitement out of me. I set the Cup down and pulled out my phone and snapped a picture of the view and sent it to Alyssa with a simple note.

Wish you were with me. I’m sorry for earlier. I love you

I slipped my phone back in my pocket and waved to the crowd that had gathered by the fire truck. Then slowly we began to descend back down to solid ground. Then suddenly we just stopped. I looked at the firefighter in the cherry picker with me.

“What happened?”

He looked worried. “The motor on the picker gave out.” He said, trying the gears again.

“Gave out? As in we’re stuck up here?” I asked.

He nodded and reached for his radio. I don’t know how long we were stuck up there, but at that moment the wind decided it wanted to start blowing, so the cherry picker began to sway. I was starting to freak out. Suddenly my phone began to ring in my pocket, I dug it out and saw it was Alyssa.

“Lys” I sighed, trying not to let her know I was freaking out.

“Pat, are you okay?” She asked.

“I’m fine, why wouldn’t I be?”

She chuckled. “Because you look so freaking scared right now.”

I pulled away and looked at my phone, like it could give me answers. “How do you know how I look?”

“If you’re up to it, look over the edge.” She laughed, knowing he wasn’t going to do it.

He shook his head and licked his lips. “No that’s okay. You’re down there?”

“I’m here.”

I seemed to relax knowing that Alyssa was down there. I sighed and adjusted my hat. “Alyssa, listen. I’m sorry for blowing up on you earlier. I just can’t take that criticism from you. Anyone else I can let it roll off my shoulders, but not with you. With you it makes me feel like I’m such a failure” I admitted, tears burning my eyes.

“Patrick, stop we can talk about this later.” She said, but I didn’t want to talk about it later.

“What better time than now? I’m not going anywhere .” I chuckled.

He heard Alyssa chuckle too. “I’m sorry, I said all those things about you at the house. I was just upset that you kept that from me.” I was thankful she didn’t disclose what we were talking about. “I meant what I said about telling me everything though. I know there are some things you’re not going to tell me and that’s understand able, but Jon didn’t even know. Not only did you keep it from me, but you kept it from your best friend on the team as well.”

“Than that should prove to you that it wasn’t a big deal, because if it was then the two of you would have been the first to know.”

“I realized that now and I’m sorry. I’m going to blame the outburst on the baby.” She laughed.

I smiled. “So you forgive me?”

“I do, I love you Pat.”

“Love you, too Lys.”

Just then the motor came to life and we started moving again. I breathed a sigh of relief and told Alyssa to wait for me and that I wanted to take her somewhere. When I reached solid ground, I was greeted by Alyssa and a kiss. I introduced her to the firefighters and they apologized for the malfunction, but I reassured them that it was no problem and it was make great footage for Blackhawks TV. I handed the Cup over to the keeper and turned to Alyssa who was messing with her phone. Without a word I wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her, not caring that there were still fans and news cameras surrounding us. I wanted all of Buffalo to see that I was in love with this woman and nothing was going to stop me.

“How did you get here?” I asked, when I pulled away.

“Erica dropped me off on her way to Cooper’s place.”

I smiled. “Perfect” I grabbed her hand and lead her to my truck. I drove out of the city and refused to answer any questions Alyssa asked, I just kept telling her it was a surprise. This was something I’ve been working on with my sisters and Jazmynn since we arrived in Buffalo and I couldn’t wait to see her reaction.

I couldn’t help but smile as I made the final turn and Alyssa looked at me confused. I put the car in park and turned off the engine. Neither of us said anything as I reached for the glove compartment and pulled out the key ring,

I placed the key ring in Alyssa’s hand and smiled when she looked up at me. “Surprise”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry guys, I never meant to leave such a gap between updates and reading over this I see why I did. Not happy with the end of this chapter. Hope you guys like it.

Join my contest