Status: Working on Chapter 14 currently. :)

High Queen Layla, It Has a Nice Ring to It

C I N Q

The Seven trekked through the forest, Peter leading, Susan and Layla behind him, Lucy, the dwarf, and Edmund and Yvainne not far behind.

Susan and Layla had been joking a bit with each other when Susan looked around finally.

“I don’t remember this way.” Susan called up to Peter.

“That’s the problem with girls. You can’t carry a map in your heads.” Peter replied slowing down.

“That’s because our heads have something in them.” Lucy retorted at the same time as Layla gave her own retort.

“Oi! Speak for yourself mate! I’m the one who has to give my dad and mum directions to the train station each year!” Layla yelled back, even though she was right behind him by this point.

“Not so loud Layla! You’ll blow my eardrum!” Peter said turning to her.

“That’s the point Jarhead!” Layla yelled actually in his ear this time. Peter brought his hand to his ear as she pulled away giving her a pout. “Don’t you pout at me, Peter Pevensie. I have grown immune to puppy dog faces.” She told him triumphantly.

“She’s not lying you know. The other day she had a four year old come up to her when we were selling ice cream, and he didn’t have enough, but he gave her the ol’ P.D.P and if he had been my customer I would’ve given it to him, but she held her ground. And she really does give dad directions on our way to the train station.” Yvainne told them with a small smile. Layla grumbled something about ‘the little boy went and got me yelled at too by his mum...’ before turning and smiling once more.

Peter continued on then ahead of them once more as Susan whispered to Layla and Lucy, who’d caught up with them, “I wish he’d just listen to the D.L.F. in the first place.”

“D.L.F.?” Edmund and Yvainne asked at the same time catching up to the three girls.

“Dear Little Friend.” Lucy replied with a big smile, Layla let out a snort and Susan smiled at Lucy.

The ‘D.L.F.’ slowed down to a stop Edmund stopping with him.

“Oh, that’s not at all patronizing is it?” He questioned causing Edmund to smile at him as he began walking once more to catch up to his brother and sisters.

Peter came to a stop again a few minutes later. Layla had left his sisters and brother behind to try and talk to him. “I’m not lost.” He said as though trying to convince himself. Layla couldn’t help but feel bad for him.

“Peter maybe you should just listen to the ‘D.L.F.’ mate. I mean, he’s been around a lot more recently, and it’s been a year since you’ve been here, and that’s just in our time. It’s been way more time here, which means so many things could have changed.” Layla tried to tell him but was once more ignored as the D.L.F. spoke.

“No.” He said, “You’re just going the wrong way.” Layla smacked her forehead.

‘You might as well have just said, ‘No you’re just an idiot!’’ she thought glaring at the D.L.F.

“You last saw Caspian at the Shuddering Woods, and the quickest way there is to cross at the river Rush.” Peter told him, a bit of a snarl in his voice. Layla put a hand on his tense shoulder and felt him relax under her touch.

“But unless I’m mistaken, there’s no crossing in these parts.” The D.L.F. responded, a lot more calm than Peter was. Layla sighed feeling Peter tense up once more.

“That explains it, then. You’re mistaken.” He spat at the D.L.F.. Layla turned Peter around to look at her, she could feel the anger rolling off of him in waves and so she took his face in her hands and leant her forehead against his.

“Deep breaths Peter, in through your nose, out through your mouth.” She told him. He did as she said as she sent a calming spell over him. He closed his eyes and could feel every fiber in his body relax. When Layla pulled away from him, his eyes shot open, wide in amazement. “Better?” She asked him, he nodded, unable to talk. She smiled, “Try not to get too angry, yeah?” He nodded again, still silent in awe.

Then they continued through the woods. Layla stayed by Peter’s side this time, the entire time. They didn’t talk, but she needed to be around him just in case he lost his temper again.

When they arrived to what Layla assumed was the river Rush, Peter realized what the D.L.F. what meant.

It was a gorge. Oh joy.

“You see, over time, water erodes the earth’s soil, carving deeper—”

“Susan, not now!” Layla exclaimed taking Peter’s hand bringing it up to her mouth and planting a kiss on the pulse point on his wrist, working her magic once more. She was worried, that much was obvious, and when she let his hand fall back to his side, she held it a bit longer, just long enough to squeeze, then she let go.

“Is there a way down?” Edmund asked the D.L.F..

“Yeah, falling.” Was his reply.

“At least we weren’t lost.” Layla said with a smile towards Peter.

“There’s a ford near Beruna. How do you feel about swimming?” The D.L.F. asked.

“I’d rather that than walking.” Susan said with a roll of her eyes.

Everyone began walking away, everyone except for Layla and Lucy. Layla had frozen because on the other side of the show was—

“Aslan?” Layla heard Lucy ask, so that was Aslan!

“It’s Aslan! It’s Aslan over there!” she shouted pointing across the gorge, Layla turned back to see their reactions... They were all turning around and looking at her like she was insane. “Don’t you see? He’s right...” When Lucy and Layla turned back around Aslan was gone. “...there.” She finished confused, Layla was confused too.

“Do you see him now?” the D.L.F. asked her.

“I’m not crazy. He was there. He wanted us to follow him.” Lucy told them turning to Peter.

“She’s right. He was there. I saw him too.” Layla interjected, Lucy looked at Layla in surprise as did everyone else. “What?” Layla asked feeling a bit shy then.

“I’m sure there are any number of lions in this wood. Just like that bear.” Peter said to both Lucy and Layla. Layla’s mouth fell open.

“You think we’re lying.” It wasn’t a question that came from Layla’s mouth.

“I think I know Aslan when I see him.” Lucy told him, upset that he’d say such a thing.

“Look, I’m not about to jump off a cliff after someone who doesn’t exist.” The D.L.F. said with an ‘I’m sorry’ in his tone.

“The last time I didn’t believe Lucy I ended up looking pretty stupid.” Edmund pointed out.

“N’ the last time I didn’t believe Layla, our dog got run over.” Yvainne said with a look in her eyes that said she fully believed her sister.

“Why wouldn’t I have seen him?” Peter asked.

“Maybe you weren’t looking.” Lucy replied.

“Or maybe you’re just a conceited doofus who doesn’t know when he needs to believe someone and when he needs to actually think they’re lying.” Layla said with tears in her eyes as she walked away.

“I’m sorry Lu.” Peter apologized to her before walking away. Following after Layla, Susan behind him, then Lucy, Edmund and Yvainne.

~*~

As the seven continued through the woods, Layla fell back behind the rest. Peter kept looking back at her, concerned about her, both because of their earlier little spat, and to make sure she wasn’t about to pass out on them again.

Layla was fine though, she was just deep in thought.

What were Jared and Carissa doing here?

How did they get her? Was it random like her arrival, or was it something they had known about before.

Where had they been all this time?

Yvainne eventually fell back, mostly annoyed at the fact that Peter wouldn’t quit asking about Layla, but she needed to talk to about before as well.

“So...” Yvainne began as they walked, Layla looked up at her before looking back forward.

“So?” Layla repeated to urge Yvainne on.

“So what did you see?” Yvainne asked Layla after a minute more of silence.

“Oh... Um, well, The Telmarine Prince was telling a badger and a dwarf that he had to run away... Something else, that you’ll find out later”—Layla wasn’t allowed to tell others what she saw when it had them in it specifically until the event happened, she had learned that lesson from the hard way—“Oh and Jared and Carissa are here... or will be, I dunno if they are now or not.” She told her. Yvainne looked at her in shock.

“They are?” She shouted, everyone ahead of them stopped and looked back.

“Oi! You two best keep up, we’re getting close!” The dwarf called to them. Layla looked over at Yvianne and motioned to tell her to go ahead, she’d catch up in a minute. Yvainne looked at her, concerned but Layla just shook her head. Yvainne caught up and took her place next to Edmund.

Next thing she knew Peter was beside her instead.

“Yes, Mr. Magnificent?” she teased, he gave her the faintest of glares before smiling at her.

“Look, I’m sorry about back there, it’s not that I didn’t believe you it’s just—”

“That’s exactly what it was. There’s no reason for you to try and tell me any different, I’m over it.” Layla said closing the subject.

“Okay then... Also, I didn’t get to thank you back there on the beach, for saving Lucy—”

“There’s nothing to thank me for. Like I said I consider her my sister. I would kill anybody to protect my family.” Layla said softly, she was still sad over killing the bear, but she would never let anything, alive or not, hurt her family, which the Pevensie’s had become to her.

“Does that mean you see me as your brother?” Peter asked his nose scrunching up as though it was a repulsive thought, trying to get Layla to laugh, but his question had caused her to think about it completely... Did she see him as a brother?

Everyone else seemed convinced that they were bound to become boyfriend and girlfriend one day, so why did she hate him so much?

Her reason was beginning to go down the drain the more time she spent with him.

“I don’t know...” was her reply, and it was the truth, she didn’t know how she saw him anymore and with that she caught up with the others taking her own spot next to Susan.

“I like you Layla. A lot, and I wish I could tell you just how much, but it’s not enough to explain.” Peter muttered to himself watching her as she laughed with Susan and Lucy about something they had said.

With a sad sigh he caught up with them all just as they came upon the river.

What they found were Telmarines, and loads of them. They were building.

Peter watched intently as if trying to solve a puzzle Layla noticed. Then they head horses coming by and quickly ducked to make sure they wouldn’t be seen.

“Perhaps this wasn’t the best way to come after all.” Susan offered to Peter, who looked defeated as he realized she was right.

Layla smirked and started to make hissing sounds, just barely loud enough for the horses to hear.

“Layla what are you doing?” Yvainne asked her in a panicked tone causing everyone to look at Layla. She rolled her eyes.

“I’m trying to create a distraction now shush.” She said before beginning her sounds again.

It worked, because the next thing she knew the horses were bucking and trampling into camp causing Layla to laugh as Peter and the others took the opportunity to sneak back into the forest before they could be spotted. Layla was the last to go, muttering a spell to protect the innocent of the camp as she left.

Those who had no choice to be there would survive.

Those who fought by choice were on their own.

~*~

“So where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?” Peter asked Lucy while Layla stood back glaring at him.

“I wish you’d all stop trying to sound like grown-ups.” Lucy snapped at them all.

“We didn’t think we saw him, we did see him.” Layla interjected standing up and walking over to stand next to Lucy.

“I am a grown-up.” The D.L.F. said as Lucy and Layla walked over to the ledge.

“It was right over—”

Layla and Lucy both screamed as a part of the ledge broke, Layla grabbed onto Lucy and pulled her to her hoping to cushion her landing if they fell far.

“Lucy!” Susan and Edmund shouted.

“Layla!” Peter and Yvainne shouted at the same time as the others shouted Lucy’s name.

Luckily they didn’t fall far, instead they landed on a ledge that led down to the river.

“...here.” Lucy finished. Layla let out a bit of a laugh, her heart in her throat as she looked up into Peter’s terrified face. Peter was the first one down and quickly he pulled Layla into his arms.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again.” He whispered so quietly that Layla wouldn’t hear him.

“Um, Peter... Kinda running out of air here.” She choked out after a second, Peter quickly let go blushing.

Once everyone else was down they made their way across.

By the time they made it to the other side it was night.

Yvainne walked back down to the water while Edmund, Lucy, Susan, Layla and Peter stayed up at the top creating camp. The D.L.F. had gone for wood.

Eventually night came and Yvainne joined the others for Dinner, and afterwards, the Pevensies told stories from when they were ruling. Layla listened interested by their stories of Royal balls and magnificent feasts, the kinds of things Layla dreamed of regularly.

“You should’ve seen Peter’s dancing when he first began lessons! You would’ve thought he had flippers or something!” Edmund told the girls with a laugh. Peter hung his head in shame.

“It’s true. Edmund on the other hand, was great at it from the start.” Peter said with a big smile to his brother.

“How are you now?” Layla asked Peter with a smile.

“I’m quite good, if I do say so myself. Why?” Peter replied.

“My brother and I used to waltz around when we were younger. He had to take ballroom dancing classes for something and I wanted to learn, so he taught me.” Layla chuckled as she looked up to the sky.

“Are you saying you want to dance?” Peter asked standing, and offering his hand. Layla looked at him, then his hand, and finally back at him as her smile widened.

“I thought you’d never ask.” She muttered placing her hand in his and standing. Peter walked her over to a wider space before placing his available hand on her waist, her other hand going to his shoulder. Then they danced.

Layla smiled as they danced in a three-four time that reminded her of a song her sister used to sing to her. Softly she began to sing it.

“Dream, child as childhood wants to do, Dream all this night will allow, Dream, child dream with an angel’s view, Out there safe in your clouds. Wait for me now, I will be there for you, No matter what tomorrow may bring, This I will vow I will be there, For this child with different...” Layla and Peter paused, and Edmund had pulled Yvainne up to dance with him as Layla sang. Peter stared at Layla in awe.

‘She never told me she could sing.’ Peter thought before starting dancing again.

“Dream, child stars have been rumored to, See dreams within newborn eyes, And in their arms I believe they do, Keep safe until you arise. Wait for me now, I will be there for you, No matter what tomorrow may bring, This I will vow I will be there, For this child with different...” They paused once more Layla in a dip Peter close to her, any closer and their lips would be touching. “Wings,” Layla breathed fear in her eyes. Peter pulled her up confused by her look, but when he let her go she muttered, “I’m sorry,” and took off into the forest.

“Layla!” Peter called following after her.

“I guess the party’s over...” Susan joked a bit, though no one laughed. Yvainne just sighed and made her way back down to the water again.

~*~

“Layla!” Peter called out, having lost her.

“What do you want from me?!” Layla snapped at Peter from his left. She was sat on the floor holding her ankle, tears falling from her eyes in a river of her sadness. Peter quickly walked over and, kneeling himself, pulled her into him.

“What happened?” Peter asked her.

“I fell and hurt my ankle.” Layla grumbled into his shirt.

“You’re such a klutz.” Peter laughed pulling her up and into his arms, setting her in his lap and holding her as if she were a baby as she cried into his chest.

~*~

Edmund had tried to get himself to sleep but he just couldn’t, so he decided to go see what Yvainne was doing.

Yvainne’s feet were dangling above the water as she sat on a ledge above the water. Edmund approached her and she turned around hearing his footsteps. “What are you doing up?” She asked him turning back around.

“Couldn’t sleep.” He replied still advancing slowly.

“Where do you think Peter and Layla are?” Yvainne asked him as he came to sit next to her.

“Probably off either arguing about something or finally realizing how much they love each other.” Edmund said with a disgusted face that matched Yvainne’s then.

“You never answered my question before, about if you had anyone you cared for.” Yvainne pointed out then.

Edmund looked away then with a disappointed look on his face. “I was hoping you had forgotten.” He told her.

“There’s a reason Layla calls me the Elephant sometimes. I have an amazing memory.” Yvainne told him with a smile. “Now tell me.”

“I don’t think that’s the best idea. She’ll never like me anyways.” Edmund muttered his eyes on the river.

“Any girl who doesn’t like you is a fool. You’re amazing and sweet, and you know how to make anyone feel special. If she doesn’t like you, that’s her loss I say. You’re one to be held ont—”

Yvainne never finished her sentence, because his lips were on hers then, keeping any other words from coming out. Yvainne didn’t care though, because this was something she had dreamed of since she had met him. It wasn’t a long kiss, just long enough to get the point across that he really cared for her.

“Wow...” Yvainne breathed when he pulled back.

“Yeah.” Edmund mumbled his hand going to the back of his neck.

“You really thought I didn’t like you?” Yvainne asked him then, confused. She had been so obvious about it, or so she had thought. Edmund shrugged, and Yvainne sighed. “I hope Layla’s okay.” She whispered.

“She’ll be fine, she’s with Peter.” Edmund replied. Yvainne shivered as a small wind blew by, and Edmund noticing pulled her closer to him.

“She wasn’t always like this. She used to be polite, she would’ve never gotten into that fight earlier, and she wouldn’t get into trouble ever. But then Jared and Carissa disappeared, and she began getting into fights, she pulled that stunt in manner classes, and everything just went downhill. She calmed down after a bit, and settled in the middle of the two that she used to be... She’s almost in the gray area, she was an angel, and then she was a devil, and now she’s settled between. Then she found out she was a witch and she’s been doing better since then but—”

“Wait she’s a witch?!” Edmund exclaimed, Yvainne shushed him nodding.

“She is, but she’s not a fully fledged witch until her 17th birthday. Which is...” Yvainne stopped as she realized something, “...tomorrow. Oh my god! She needs to get back here now! Before midnight!” Yvainne stood up suddenly and began making her way back up.

“Why?” Edmund asked.

“The Transfer of Powers!” Yvainne shouted at him, “Look when a witch turns 17 she’s a fully fledged witch, but she has to be asleep the minute the clock strikes midnight as the day of her birthday because another witch must die for her to become a witch herself, and when the witch dies the powers will transfer to the newest witch, but if the new witch isn’t asleep when the powers are ready to transfer, they will vanish and there will be one less witch on the earth, plus she’ll lose the powers she has now, and without them, I don’t think we’ll like what she becomes...” Yvainne told him as she walked into the forest, he wasn’t far behind her.

~*~

Layla calmed down after a bit and eventually she just sat there being held by Peter.

“Layla...” Peter muttered as he stroked her hair, she was clung to him, her face against his shoulder.

“Hmmm…?” She hummed out.

“There’s something I need to tell you.” Peter said slowly, hesitantly.

“Yeah?” Layla asked pulling her face from him and looking up into his eyes.

“I l—”

“Layla!” Yvainnes voice called through to her, Layla looked over to see her sister and Edmund running towards them, “Layla, your birthday! It’s—”

“Tomorrow.” Layla finished realizing what her sister was saying, quickly she tried to stand but immediately regret it as her ankle throbbed in pain, and she let out a whine. Peter caught her as she toppled over. “We have to get back...” Layla mumbled already trying to get herself calm enough so she could sleep.

She felt arms wrap around her as she was lifted, and she could hear faint murmurs catching a few words like ‘powers’ and ‘sleep’.

But then she was asleep.

And she was greeted with millions of colors as the clock struck twelve...

And she became a full witch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long!

You should thank Skandar Keynes (Edmund) and Georgie Henley (Lucy) though because my best friends and I met them on Wednesday, December 8, 2010, and it's because of them that I decided to make this chapter extra long.

So yeah. :D

Till next time! :)

Happy Reading,
Kaylee Lovett