Status: Active. Might be a little slow :(

Someday My Prince Will Come

Bring it on, Captain Serious!

As soon as Sam stepped onto the ice the memories came flooding back to her, her father teaching her how to skate when she was a little girl. Every time she fell down he would pick her up, the two of them afterwards, drinking hot chocolate talking about everything and anything, her standing beside her mother as she battled with cancer, standing at her mother’s funeral, and her father’s second marriage. The last memory was the worst and by far the most vivid as it had occurred recently. She was working at a small café when she got a phone call telling her that her father was killed by a drunk driver. She had totally broken down; stopped playing volleyball, stopped talking and stopped caring. She was pulled into a deep depression but realized she now had to provide for herself because her step-mother wouldn’t.

“Sam, are you okay?” Jonathan asked. He was quite concerned at her recent show of emotion.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine, being on the ice just reminds me of my dad but it’s fine.” She lied.

“If you don’t want to do this it’s fine.”

“No, I want to kick at your ass.”

“Oh, you think you will do you?”

“Bring it on, Captain Serious.”

They played one-on-one, first person with ten points wins. Jon got the first two but then Sam found his weakness and got the next five. By the time they were finished it was 9-9.

“Next point wins” Jon decided.

It was a tough fight but Sam got the next point when she pretended to be hurt to distract him. Sure it wasn't fair but life isn't fair.

“I guess you own me dinner.” She said.

“That was cheap!" He complained and skated over to her. "but yes a deal's a deal. Can I get your number so I can call you and tell you the details?”

Sam took his phone and programmed her number into it.

“Do you need a ride home?” Jon asked as he took off his skates.

“Yes, Thanks.”

As soon as Sam walked into her Step-mother’s house she was getting screamed at. She ignored her step-mother and walked up to her room in the attic. She jumped onto her bed and covered her head with her pillow. She fell asleep after her long day and tough one-on-one game with Jonathan.

She awoke the next morning like every other day. She threw back the covers and got up checking her phone. One new message; it read. “I wonder who this is from” she taught as she opened it up.

From: Jon

Good Morning :). How bout that dinner tonight?

Reply To: Jon

Hey, tonight is good for me :).

From: Jon

Okay, I’ll pick you up at 7. Dress casual.

To: Jon

Alright, I’ll see you then!

Sam showered and put on a pair of dark wash jeans and a yellow tank top. She finished off her look with a black cardigan and a black pair of pumps.

By 6:30 she was ready to go. She decided to sit on the couch and watch Sportscenter. Sportscenter was playing the highlights of yesterday’s Blackhawks game. The Blackhawks had beat Columbus 4-2 and Jonathan had a goal and an assist.

As promised there was a knock at the door just before 7. Sam got off the couch and answered it.

“Hey Jon.”