Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

Chaper Three

Chapter Three

“We’re here.”

Adrienne looked out the window. To the side of her was a big, cement building that looked like it had been standing since World War One. It had a ton of windows, all closed and the blinds shut. Spots of dirt, as she assumed, were smudged all around the bottom of the building, like it hadn’t been cleaned in a long time. There was a double door in the center, with a little window at the top of each. This place looked like a Haunted Mansion.

“Is this the orphanage?” Adrienne asked, surprised. She didn’t think it’d be that bad looking.

“Yes, it is dear.” Judy replied back.

Adrienne had never seen a real orphanage before, besides on the T.V. She had heard a lot about them and from what she had heard they weren’t all that great. The television definitely wasn’t lying.

“When was the last time they washed this building? It looks like a fucking cat took a giant dump on it.”

“Adrienne, I don’t want to hear any more profanity come out of your mouth again. Now get out and let’s go get your stuff and check you in.

“Fine.”

Adrienne and Judy got out and walked up the steps to the double doors. They opened them and walked inside.

Adrienne’s POV

I looked around once we were inside the place. It looked like a run down hotel lobby. Judy walked towards to check in desk while I walked around looking at all the stuff. This place looked pretty empty, there were no pictures on the walls, couches, television, hell where was the kitchen?

“Adrienne, honey, let’s go.”

I looked away from the walls to Judy. I hated it when she called me honey. I’m not related to her and it made me feel so old. I hated it.

I followed Judy and a person from the front desk, as I assume, down a long hallway and into the last door on the right. As we were walking I looked around. This place does look like a haunted mansion. Once inside of the door I saw a little room with five doors in it. Why the fuck would they do that? Having five doors inside of one. What are they thinking?

“Um, Adrienne your room is the fifth door, so your door is the blue one.” The person who walked us here said to me.

“Okay…”

I walk towards the door and open it. Inside there was a crappy twin bed that looked like it needed to be pressure washed, a little wood dresser, and a small door that opened into a closet. The room was so small, I felt as if I was going to be claustrophobic. This is as bad as being locked in a cage like they do to lost dogs at the dog pounds.

I walked inside and put my bags and suitcases on the bed. The bed made a squeaky sound. I walked over to the dresser and opened it. Abruptly, a mouse came bounding out of it and ran towards the door. I screamed.

“Oh my gosh what happened, Adrienne?” Judy asked.

“YOU DIDN’T JUST SEE THAT? I JUST OPENED UP THIS DRAWER AND A MOUSE CAME RUNNING OUT OF THAT DOOR!” I pointed to the door that they were standing at.

“AND YOU’RE TELLING ME THAT I HAVE TO PUT MY CLOHES IN THERE, LET ALONE STAY IN THIS ROOM ALONE?”

“Calm down, Adrienne. It was just a little mouse.” Judy rolled her eyes.

“Calm down? You’re telling me to calm down? I can’t fucking calm down when there’s rodents in the room I have to stay in! I bet there are termites inside the dresser too! Ugh!”

Judy looked to me then to the other lady then back at me.

“Well you’re just going to have to live with it for a while. Now in the other rooms there are other kids, once you settle down you can knock on their doors if you want someone to talk to. Your uncle and aunt will be here in a week. Here’s a map of the orphanage and times when they serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It also lists when you’re allowed to go outside and play.”

Gosh, she made me feel like such a little kid. Go outside and play? What the fuck, man. I’m 15 years old. Well, at least I think I am.

They closed the door and left me here, all by myself. I looked around, at the ragged walls. Couldn’t they at least try to keep the place looking nice? The wallpaper was falling off the walls, and it looked pretty shitty. Ah, well, at least I won’t have to be here that long…