Neverland

Two.

Wendy finished washing her hands and wiped them on her jeans, drying them effortlessly. She knew she had taken her time in the bathroom and needed to get back to her meal with Lily. Lily would worry and come in after her and if that happened, Wendy wasn't sure she could keep from blurting out everything harbouring her mind.

Wendy walked out the door and felt resistance. She was knocked to the ground and made a small 'oomph' sound as the air flowed out her lips.

"I'm so sorry! Are you OK?" A male voice asked.

"I'm fine," Wendy responded preparing herself for getting back on her feet.

A hand reached out in front of her face and hung in the air. Wendy took it and felt something twist her stomach. Was she sick?

"Thanks," Wendy muttered and met the gaze of her obstacle.

Another load of air rushed out her lungs and she felt sorry for them. All this hard-headed breathing must be bad for them, but gosh, this man was... wow.

His brown hair was in a casual short style, but with a small fringe to block out anyone he didn't want looking at him. His eyes were brown, a deep brown that asked to be searched. Before she got lost in them, she carried on checking him out. His nose was straight and his mouth was kissable. He had the features of a small boy, delicate but still manly enough to establish a gender. He wore khaki pants with a green shirt that made him look as if he was about to or already had treked through some greenland. He didn't belong in the city. That was obvious.

She smiled at him and met his eyes again, worried about him thinking she was wierd by staring.

"I'm still sorry. Did you just come out the ladies?"

Wendy's brow furrowed. Why would he want to know that? She answered anyway, "er, yeah."

"Did you happen to see a blonde woman in there? About yey big," he motioned near his chest, about five foot off the ground. "Small, delicate, scared you'll break her, type?"

Wendy's heart almost broke on the spot. She was obviously attracted to him and hoped he was single and would fall in love with her instantly, filling her own void and his, he apparently didn't have. "I didn't really pay attention. Er. I could go check for you?" She offered.

"No. It's OK. She's probably run off somewhere. She's a wild one, never staying where you leave her, you know?"

"Not really." Wendy's disappointment was made out in her tone.

"Oh. Well, she's kind of like my shadow. Always following me around, like my back up. But sometimes we lose our shadows, right?" He laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck in an awkward gesture.

Wendy's mind went crazy. An image of this man literally losing his shadow filled her head. It taunted him, letting him know he couldn't win.

She shook her head to return to reality and smiled apologetically. "I need to get back to my friend. I hope you find your shadow- er, friend."

He laughed again and nodded, thanking her for her assistance anyway.

Wendy returned to her table and Lily had a grin spread over her face.

"Who was that?" She asked the moment Wendy was settled.

"Some guy. He knocked me over and helped me up." Wendy shrugged it off.

"Looked like more than that," Lily wiggled her eyebrows in a humourous fashion causing Wendy to smile. Then Lily's face went blank and locked with something past Wendy.

Wendy turned to see what had taken Lily's attention and was met with a man. A man that had knocked her over not minutes ago.

"Sorry to interupt, but I was wondering if I could get your number, or something? You know, no pressure. You don't have to accept or anything..." he asked.

"Er-" Wendy drew up a blank. Was he asking her on a date? What about his shadow? Would she be unimpressed her boyfriend is asking out other girls?

Something caught her eye behind him. The shadow was nothing like her imagination conjured up. The realistic version was a lot harsher.

A small delicate woman, around five foot, exactly as he described stood behind him, tapping her foot impatiently and pouting with frowned features. She saw Wendy looking and scowled at her, distaste turning her beautiful features fierce. She was like a pixie, delicate but a real bitch. No, more fairy-like. She had such an elegant tone to herself, Wendy decided. Suddenly, the girl sprouted fancy wings that looked transparent but visible. The light hit them in the right places, giving off a sparkle. This woman could sprinkle the children with dust and still be seen as an angel. They would say it was fairy dust and it could make them fly, so high. It sounded like a new form of drug.

"She would love to, er-" Lily answered and signalled him to give a name.

"Oh. Sorry. Peter. My names Peter. And you are?" His attention was back on Wendy and hers was back on him.

"Wendy" She answered, making reality once again settle in.

"Wendy," he tested her name on his tongue. He seemed satisfied and asked again, "so? A number, Wendy?"

"Wendy grabbed a napkin and Lily threw a pen at her. She scribled her number down in barely legible hand writing and thrusted it at him, her nerves taking over. Wendy would bet her sofa that the fairy's hand writing was neat, perfect, like calligraphy.

"Thanks," he smiled softly, "I'll call you. Definitely."

He wouldn't.