Sequel: My Last Regret
Status: Completed - Sequel is up(:

I Need A Getaway

seventeen;

It was eight thirty in the morning when I was being shaken awake by Jack. I sat up and looked at him with blurry, sleep-filled eyes. I was really tired.

“What’s going on? Is my dad here? What time is it?” I asked him question after question and he just simply shook his head and took my hand.

“It’s only half passed eight and I want to spend the last moments I have with you by taking you to breakfast.” He said and at that point, I realized that he was fully dressed and looked nice.

“Do I have time to wake up a little before you drag me out of the house?” I asked and he nodded. “Where are we going anyways?”

“My dad’s restaurant.” He answered with a smile and I rubbed my eyes with the hand that wasn’t being held by Jack’s.

“How far away is it?” My voice cracked and he laughed.

“About twenty minutes from here. I decided that since we only had a few hours left before you were gone for a year…” He trailed off and I saw the pain in his eyes. “I wanted to take you to eat something delicious before your flight.”

“You’re too sweet. Now I need to go put something decent on. I don’t need to go out of the house in my pajamas.” I demanded and he smiled again, let my hand fall limp into the sheets, and got off my bed.

-

We entered the restaurant and I looked around, my eyes were full of excitement. The lights were dimmed and there were candles in the center of each table instead of a lamp or some other form of lighting. There weren’t but a few other people there with us and we approached a podium where a man in a black tuxedo smiled at us.

“Hello Mr. Barakat.” The tall man behind the podium’s smile widened. “A table for two?” He asked and I assumed that the man knew Jack very well.

Jack nodded and we were led to a table toward the back.

“A waiter will be with your shortly.” The man concluded before leaving us alone.

“It’s eight in the morning, Jack.” I told him and he simply laughed.

“I know that.” He replied and I honestly felt like an idiot after saying my previous thought out loud.

“Well, yeah…but,” I was cut off by another man’s voice and I turned my head to see a man wearing a tuxedo and a golden colored name plate to the right of his dark tie. I acknowledged that he looked fairly younger than the one at the podium when we first walked in. His name plate printed ‘Mark’ in small, black, capitol letters.

“Good morning, Jack.” He smiled at the both of us and I felt extremely underdressed for a place like this.

I felt like I should have been wearing dress pants and a striped tie, but instead I was in a pair of dark gray skinny jeans and a simple black V-neck. I sunk down in the chair as our waiter handed us our menus.

“Well, my name is Mark and I’m going to be serving you this morning. Can I start you two off with some drinks?” He asked with a smile.

“Sweet tea.” Jack said and looked over at me. No words were spoken, but I could tell he was silently asking me what I wanted to drink.

“U-uh.” I paused to think. “Water?”

“Alright, I’ll be back out with your drinks in a few minutes.” Mark smiled and walked off.

“Jack, this is all too much. I can’t believe you took me here.” I half-smiled and he rolled his eyes.

He didn’t reply, instead he looked down at his menu. I took it into consideration that I should, too, since I’ve never eaten here before. I didn’t even know what all they served. I opened my menu – it was like a book – and looked at the tanned page that had a list of a whole bunch of dishes.

I looked over all the possible options and finally decided on a plate of pancakes; simple and sweet. I wasn’t going to be picky at a time like this. Not that I really was in the first place, to be honest.

In a matter of minutes, Mark was bringing us our drinks and asking us for our orders. He pulled a tiny notepad from the pocket on his dark apron that hung around his waist and was prepared to write down what we told him. I stated my order and Jack ordered eggs and bacon. Mark smiled at us again before leaving us, taking our menus with him.

“So, your dad works here?” I asked him, trying my hardest to strike up decent conversation because I felt slightly awkward for some reason.

“Naw, he just owns it. That’s the reason I moved here this summer.” Jack answered and poked his straw down into his tea, taking a sip.

“That’s cool.” I said and he nodded. “When you said you were taking me to breakfast, I honestly thought you were going to take me to Waffle House or something.”

“You think my dad works at a Waffle House?” He chuckled and I peeled the paper off of my straw and stuck it in my drink.

“No, that’s not what I meant.” I defended and he smirked. “I just didn’t expect something so fancy, this early in the morning especially.”

“Well, put it this way…would you rather me take you to Waffle House?” He raised an eyebrow and I giggled.

“No.”

“Then stop complaining.” He pointed his slender finger at me and laughed.

“I’m not!” I defended. “But if you would have told me, I would have dressed a little less casual.”

“Are you telling me you feel underdressed?” He asked.

“Exactly.”

He laughed briefly.

“I’m practically royalty here, since I’m the son of the owner. So, I don’t think it matters what you wear. Plus, I’m not really dressed any different.” He assured and I nodded.

“Alright…”

-

After eating, we went back to my house. It was a little after ten and I wondered why we took so long to eat. The drive there and back was one thing, but still.

I sat on the edge of my bed as Jack paced around my room, thinking of things we could possibly do within the next hour. I was going to miss him so much.

I swung my legs a little and he turned to me with a smirk on his face. He had an idea. I could see it in his eyes.

“So?” I urged him to spit out his suggestion, but he walked closer to me.

“Alex, I’m going to miss seeing your face every day of my life.” He stated and pushed me back onto the bed lightly. He crawled on top of me and smirked before leaning down and pressing a kiss to my lips.

“The story’s not any different on my side, boo.” I admitted and he laughed quietly.

“I didn’t think it would be.”

He reconnected our lips and my lips melted with his. My arms were held against the bed on either side of me by Jack’s firm hands and I smirked against his lips. His tongue slipped into my mouth and my back arched slightly as his tongue brushed mine.

“Alex,” He pulled away, out of breath and I smirked at him. “I wish you wouldn’t leave me.”

“There’s nothing I can do about it.” I breathed. He attached his lips to my neck and bit down, causing a breathy moan to slip out of my mouth.

The door flung open suddenly and Jack flew off of me. My granddad stood in the door, wide-eyed and confused and I just laughed.

“That’s disgusting.” He stated before entering the room. I scoffed and sat up.

“Get out.” I said and he shook his head.

“Your mother told me to take your suitcase down to the living room.” He said and picked up my suitcase from the corner of my room. I stood from my bed and grabbed it from him.

“I am fully capable of doing it myself.” I said and he rolled his eyes. “I’m not five.”

“I’ve got a different opinion on that thought, judging by your attitude most of the time.” He gave me a look and I scoffed.

“Go away. I can take my own suitcase downstairs.”

“Fine, but you have to take it down, now.” He said and I sighed.

“Whatever. I’ll do it in a minute.” I told him matter-of-factly and he turned to look at Jack.

“No, you are going to do it this minute. Your father’s going to be here within the next twenty minutes so your mother wants you to take it down now.”

“You can’t tell me what to do. I’ll take it down when I want to; now get out so I can get back to what I was doing before you came in.” I pushed him toward the door but he pushed against me.

“I don’t think your mother would approve of you sitting up here and making out with your boyfriend instead of taking your stuff down.” He said sternly and I felt sick at the way he emphasized ‘boyfriend’.

“I don’t care what you think. I can do what I want and I would appreciate it if you’d get out of my room, now. I don’t need to deal with anymore of your bullshit before I’m shipped out of state.”

He rolled his eyes and grabbed my suitcase back up and attempted to leave my room.

“Ugh, fine. Just get out already.” I said and he shut the door behind him. I turned back to Jack and he frowned.

“We should probably go downstairs now, though. So you can say goodbye to everyone.” He said.

“I’ve got twenty minutes to do that.”

“Well, I’m going downstairs.” He said, getting up and walking past me. He was so upset. I could tell. Way to kill the mood, grandpa.

I followed him down the stairs and into the living room, where my suitcase was being rummaged through. My jaw hit the floor.

“What the hell are you doing?” My question was directed toward my granddad, since he was the one digging through everything.

“Making sure what you’re taking to your dad’s is tasteful and appropriate. I don’t want you to take any of your horrible mannerism and wardrobe to a different state.” He said and I rolled my eyes dramatically, looking toward my mom.

“And you’re okay with this?” I asked her and she shook her head.

“Alex, your father is going to buy you new clothes anyways, since it’s not as cold down there. You won’t need as many pairs of your jeans and some of your sweaters or long-sleeved shirts.”

“Mom, I’ll take what I want. They’re my clothes, so tell your dad to stop digging through everything.” I told her harshly and walked over to pick up some of the clothes my granddad had taken out and set on the couch.

“What is this?” He asked, picking up my caramel bear with a disgusted look on his face. I set the clothes down immediately and glared at him.

“It’s mine.” I reached to grab it from him but he yanked it away.

“Is this a teddy bear?” He asked and I looked over at Jack.

“Yes.” I muttered and he laughed bitterly.

“You packed a bear? Why would you pack a bear? Does it have a name or something?” He shook the bear in front of my face. “I bet it’s named ‘Beary’ or something stupid like that.”

“Its name is ‘Jackery’, now put it back into my suitcase with my clothes that you took out and close the damn thing. It’s not that difficult.” I clenched my teeth and my granddad just stared at me with a cocky grin on his face.

“Jackery? What kind of name is that?” He laughed dryly and I sunk my teeth into my bottom lip.

“Put it back into the suitcase.” I spit. “Now.”

“Why? It’s just a stupid bear.” He tossed it on the floor and I closed my eyes. I needed to pull it together because I was about to explode.

I stood from the couch and walked over and picked up Jackery from the floor. I held the bear close to me and tears built up in my eyes. I kept them back because I didn’t need to cry. Not yet.

“You have no respect toward anything I do.” I muttered, looking up at my granddad.

“It’s just a bear. I don’t get what’s so special about it. Care to explain?” He raised an eyebrow and I glanced over at Jack.

“You wouldn’t even understand.” A tear slipped down my face and I stepped toward Jack, who was standing next to my mom. “Just please put my clothes back.”

I pressed myself against Jack’s side and he wrapped an arm around me.

“I will as soon as you tell me what’s so important about that bear, son.” He said.

“Dad, drop it.” My mother spoke up and I was thankfully that he didn’t speak anymore after that.

He hesitated before putting my clothes back and he and my mom left the room. I stood there with Jack for a minute before I walked back over to my suitcase to place Jackery inside.

“Well isn’t he the charmer?” Jack asked me sarcastically and I laughed lowly.

“Definitely.” I stated and my grandmother entered the room. I went over to stand next to Jack again.

She gave me and Jack a frail smile before speaking.

“I’m really going to miss you, Alex. I’m sorry that your grandfather has been so anal about everything. He just doesn’t know how to act.” She said and I left Jack’s side so I could accept the hug she gave me moments after. “I’ll be looking forward to seeing you when you get back from Atlanta.” She smiled and I nodded.

“I’m going to miss you too, grandma.” I whimpered and she kissed my forehead softly.

“Now I’m going to go take a nap. I just wanted to come down and say goodbye before you left.”

She was so sweet.

“Bye, grandma.” I smiled and hugged her one last time before she went up the stairs to go take her nap.

After that, I hugged Jack tightly and waited for my dad to show up. I prayed that he’d missed his flight and wouldn’t show up at all.

Within ten minutes, the doorbell rang and my heart sunk.

“Alex, can you get that?” My mom called from upstairs and I assumed she was trying to make herself look amazing for my dad, which I saw no point in since they were divorced.

“I’ll get it.” Jack said after I refused to respond and wouldn’t let go of him. I smiled at his courtesy and let him answer the door.

I followed closely behind and stood behind him as he opened the door to reveal a tall man with dark stubble on his face.

“Uh, is this there a boy by the name of Alexander here? Or do I have the wrong house?” He asked, probably shocked at the sight of Jack instead someone in my family. I hoped that Jack would tell him it was the wrong house, but instead Jack stepped aside so that I was in my dad’s sight.

I stood in the doorway like a deer in headlights and my dad stared at me with wide-eyes and a smile.

“Alex, I haven’t seen you in forever.” He said and stepped into the house and hugged me tight against his chest.

This was the moment everyone was waiting for.

“It’s only been a few months, dad.” I said with no emotion and he pushed me back to get a good look at me.

“Where’s your mom?” He asked and I sighed.

“Upstairs. I’ll go get her.”

“You don’t have to. We can just leave, because our flight leaves in an hour and I was hoping I could take you to lunch.” He said and looked Jack up and down.

“It’s okay. I have to go get my guitar anyways, and I’m pretty sure mom wants to see you.” I said before waving at Jack to come with me upstairs.

“I can’t believe he’s here already.” Jack muttered when we entered my room so I could get my guitar. I don’t think his thought was directed at me, though, because when I looked at him, he just smiled like he didn’t say anything to begin with.

Then, we entered my mom’s room down the hall where she looked at us with a smile.

“Do I look okay?” She asked. I noted that her figure looked amazing in the red blouse she was wearing.

“You look amazing, mom.” I smiled and left the room with Jack and we went back downstairs.

“Where’s your mom?” My dad asked again and I rolled my eyes.

“She’s coming down in a minute. Can I take my stuff out to the car?” I asked him and he nodded.

After piling my suitcase and guitar in the backseat, I ran back across the front lawn and into the house where Jack and my dad looked like they were having a staring contest. No words were exchanged until my mother walked down the stairs and stepped into the living room.

“Isobel…” My dad said, his eyes growing wide at the sight of my mom and Jack and I giggled to ourselves from where we were standing.

“Peter.” She smiled and they hugged.

After their hug, they made small talk which was too quiet for me to hear, and then my dad turned to me.

“So you ready to go, kiddo?” He asked.

“No.”

“Well, we need to get rolling if you want to eat before we go. We’ve got about a two and a half hour flight ahead of us, so-“

“Can you give us a minute?” I cut him off. I referring to Jack and I, and my mom and dad both nodded. They left the room for me and Jack to be alone.

“So, this is it.” He whispered, sounding extremely hurt.

I felt my eyes stinging with tears because I knew this was going to be the last time I’d see him for almost a year. I had to say something.

“Just don’t forget me, Alex.” He said, his voice cracking the slightest bit and his eyes began to water.

“I’ll call you every night, Jack. I promise.” I whispered and tears slipped down his cheeks.

My heart was breaking at the sight of him crying. He hugged me tight against his chest and I buried my face into his shirt.

“Please don’t forget about me, Alex.” He repeated and I sniffled, letting tears fall.

“I would never.” I assured him and he loosened the hug. I stood back and looked at him with my blurry eyes and he smiled faintly. I forced a smile onto my face and he pet my hair softly.

He cupped my face with his hands and leaned down to press a kiss to my nose and then pulled away.

“You can’t do that.” I said. He laughed through his tears and shook his head.

“Can’t do what?”

Instead of replying with anything verbal, I reached up and connected our lips softly. The kiss lingered for a minute before he pulled away. I didn’t want it to end.

“You should probably get going.” He muttered.

“I don’t want to leave you.” I said honestly and he smiled, using the pad of his thumb to wipe the tears off my cheeks.

“Just think…the sooner you go, the sooner you’ll get back and the sooner I get to see you again.” He smiled as best as he could and I nodded.

“I’ll call you as soon as I get off my plane, okay?” I told him and he nodded.

“I’ll be waiting.”

After that, my dad entered the living room with my mom and they both looked at us.

“You ready?” He asked me and I nodded.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I said, looking once more at Jack before stepping away from him. His hand grazed mine lightly and I stepped toward the front door.

“Goodbye.” I whispered to Jack and he bit his lip. Sadness was really evident on his face and I felt extremely crushed that I was about to do this.

The door was opened and my dad and I flooded outside. We were followed by my mom and Jack.

“See you next summer, sweetie.” My mom called, waving at us as we approached the car that was parked in the street.

I reached out and gripped the handle to open the door to the car. My eyes met Jack’s and he shook his head.

“Bye,” I mouthed to him.

“C’mon, Alex. Get in the car.” My dad demanded and I turned away from Jack with no final words being exchanged. I climbed into the car and closed the door. My dad stuck the key into the ignition and turned it, starting the car, and we slowly started driving off.

I pressed my hand against the window and watched as Jack remained stationary next to my mom on the front porch. Everything inside me wished that any second he’d come running and chase after us to stop the car. But nothing happened and we drove down the street. My eyes filled with tears and I looked out the front windshield.

Jack didn’t even say goodbye.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...this is the last chapter. It was extremely complicated for me to write and I admit, I cried. Now, you all are allowed to kill me because of what I did at the end. I feel extremely horrible for doing it, but I wrote it that way and I'm not changing any bit of it.

Now, the link to the sequel is up at the top ^^ and I hope you all subscribe to it. I will post the first chapter to that in a few days.

Goodness, my eyes are watering right now. Anyways, haa, I hope this was okay. I really loved this story as a whole and it feels like only yesterday when I put up the first chapter.

Well, I'm rambling now.

I hope for comments; love you guys.

<3Mary