Sequel: Picking Up Petals

Scattered Black Roses

Chapter 17-END

A month later, Derrick was completely healed and we were together. I was extremely excited when he asked, but I wished that he'd asked sooner, either way, now I Derrick's girlfriend. Plus, I actually started to write in my journal that I used to only have for show only. It helped me to express myself whenever I felt like writing.

Oh, Matt and I are friends again. He has a new girlfriend too, her name is Melissa. What surprised me was that she wasn’t a prep, or a cheerleader, but one of those quiet girls in school that gets good grades and is in all advanced classes. Other changes are that Benn’s mom quit her ‘job’ and decided to go back to school to get her diploma, though, Benn’s dad is still in jail, but we can’t do anything about that.

Ever since I started dating Derrick, with my parents’ complete approval, they’ve been letting me wear whatever I like. Hurray for no more preppy clothes, no more skirts, and no more girly make-up. I found out that Derrick’s mother is not a strict as she used to be, of course her and his dad always argue, but it’s expected with their polar differences.

After a few weeks, Rena and Collin, the Australian new guy, got together after I convinced Rena to talk to him. Benn ended up with my senior friend named Jeana. Jeana was a redhead with green eyes. They were all cute together and were perfectly matched. I got along with everyone and sometimes we would go on triple dates to all different kinds of places.

Tonight there was another one of those dates except that all of the other couples canceled last minute. So it would be just me and Derrick. We were going somewhere to hang out.

“I need to find something to wear..." I thought out loud. I'd definitely wanted to wear something dark and attractive. What would have Derrick awestruck? Hmm… maybe something like the nightgown I wore a while ago... except maybe in black. I wandered around in my closet and finally found what I was looking for; a black dress with a v-shaped neckline and a chain that hung from it that trailed to the bottom of the corset of the dress. To finish the look, I put on black sneakers.

Before I looked in the mirror, I pulled on a black and silver sweater and a Japanese necklace with the symbol for 'love'. I finally looked in the mirror and realized that I forgot my black wristbands and my mascara, but this time I decided to wear dark eye shadow with it. Quickly, I applied the mascara and eye shadow while fumbling with the wristbands.

“All done," I looked at the clock beside me and smiled. The perfect timing for a perfect date with the perfect guy. I loved him for everything he was.

When I got outside, I saw him there he was leaning against the side of the car with his hypnotic blue-green eyes. Derrick's arms were crossed in a casual way and there was a smirk on his face. It looked as though he really liked what I was wearing.

I averted his stare as I walked up to him.

“Hey," he tilted my head up and kissed me.

The kiss was unexpected, but I had nothing to complain about since Derrick was a good kisser. I pulled away, "Save it for after the date."

“I like that idea," he mused as he opened the door for me.

I winked.

“You know what?" he drove down the road.

“What? Think you have lady luck coming in the near future?" I looked at him.

“Oh I won't need luck," he parked by the trailer.

“Ooh confidence. Confidence is sexy," I said playfully, but I really thought what I said was true.

“Well I'll make sure to be really confident then," he laughed.

“You do that," I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out. I walked around the front of the car and stopped by the door.

A few minutes later, he was by my side and we were at the river.

We both sat so close that our legs were touching.

I lay my head on his unscarred shoulder, “You know, we’ve been dating for a while, but I still don’t know your middle name.”

“You don’t need to know that!” he said quickly.

“Aw, come on!” I whined.

“Nope,” he laughed.

I slouched against him, "You're such a mystery, do you know that?"

Derrick smirked.

I moved and held my head in my hands, “You're lucky I love you."

"You're right. I am," he reached over and took my hands gently in his and held them.

I sat up and didn't move my hands away. “So, mystery guy, why don't you tell me if you know mine. It starts with an ‘I’."

“Um, Izzy?” he said like a question.

“Well, well," I clicked my tongue and shook my head. I wasn't surprised, but I honestly expected him to say he didn’t know. It added to the 'mysteries of Derrick' list.

Derrick squeezed my hands and kissed the top of them, “I love you, Rose."

“I love you too, Derrick," I was so happy at that moment that everything seemed brighter and better. This was the start of a new chapter of my life. This was the start for both of us to learn the true meaning of love. To think that my true feelings for a guy would be revealed was started with trial-and-error. I hope this relationship will last as long as I will ever live, not just for my sake, but Derrick's too. We both could learn a thing or two from each other. I could feel my heart begin to heal with every minute I spent with Derrick; who I knew would always be there for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is the end :p Opinions are greatly appreciated and questions are welcome. Yes, there will be a sequel, but after my new story "Benefit Me". It's more mature than this story, and I do need an editor. It would be so much help to have someone look over my writing. Updates will be like this story and once again thank you all who read! I love you all! (: