Status: Active.(: and thank you to my friend, trishapocalypse, for getting me into The Maine! i love you! <3

I'm Amazed That I Got This Far

Number Twelve.

FF To Friday.

"We're just going to be watching a movie today, class." Mr. Anderson said, once the sixth period bell rang, to start the last period of the day.

"Mm, great." John sighed, as he leaned back in his seat. "At least my last day isn't so bad."

I looked up at him and he looked over at me. "That is, if you're coming with me."

"I haven't decided yet." I said, as I looked down at my blank piece of paper.

John just nodded and looked over at the TV screen, as Mr. Anderson put a movie in the DVD player. I've been thinking about this leaving with John thing all week, and I'm still not sure. I haven't stopped thinking about it ever since he asked me to go with him. I didn't really think John would leave school and everything he has, just to go to Tempe. Obviously, he was serious about leaving when he told me the first time.

I had a blank piece of paper in front of me, and I was going to write down the pros and cons about leaving with John. I'm not sure if I would not go just because there were a lot of cons, but I just felt like I should make a list.

Cons
School.
No home.
No friends.
Parents wouldn't pay for anything.
End up starving on the street.

Pros
Be with John.

I stared at what I wrote on the paper, and I groaned to myself, before setting my head on my desk. I couldn't just leave John. We just started to get extremely close, and I liked us this close. Holding hands and everything; being more than best friends. My parents didn't suspect any of it, which was good, but I couldn't just hide it forever that we were somewhat together. And if I did tell them, they would never allow it.

"Kay?" John said, as he rubbed my arm. "What's up?"

"Nothing." I mumbled, as I felt my skin start to tingle, where John touched it.

"You sure?" He asked. "I don't think people normally groan and then put their head down and say nothing's wrong."

I looked up at him and he smiled, before taking the paper off of my desk. He started to read through it, laughing slightly, before looking at me.

"What?" I said.

"You really made a pros and cons list?" He smirked.

"Be quiet. Yes." I mumbled.

"Whatever makes you happy." He shrugged as he set the paper back down. "And there's only one pro?"

I nodded and set my pencil down, before running a hand through my hair. John wanted this. He wanted to go really bad, and I knew it. He's been talking about it for as long as I can remember, and if he wants me to go, why can't I just go with him? Why do I have to worry so much about school and being homeless? Life is supposed to be an adventure, right? But not an adventure where you're homeless, have no parental support, and you're just randomly driving off somewhere because you don't want to stay in your town.

This is for John. Not you

"So, have you decided after making your...very complex list?" He asked.

"Stop making fun of my list." I said, as I crumpled it up.

"I'm not." He chuckled. "It's a...cute list."

"Shut up." I giggled.

"Fine." He smiled. "So, have you?"

"I think so." I nodded. "But."

"Oh, there's a but." He said. "What's the but?"

"You have to promise me a few things." I said.

"Okay." He shrugged. "Let's hear them."

"You won't change who you are."

"Got it."

"You won't get cocky when you get somewhere in a band."

"You got it, Kay."

"And you won't leave me...stranded or something." I said.

"Why would I do that?" He smiled. "I'm not that mean. Am I?"

"No. Just letting you know." I shrugged.

"I promise with all my heart, Kalen." He said dramatically.

"You sure?"

"When have I ever broken a promise?" He asked.

"Never." I said.

"Exactly." He said. "So...?"

"I'll go." I smiled.

"Are you serious?!" He asked, with a grin.

I nodded and John clapped his hands together. "You aren't going to change your mind?"

"Nope. This is for you, John." I shrugged.

"Thanks so much, Kay." John smiled. "This means so much to mean."

"Good." I sighed, with a small smile.

After the bell rang, to signal the end of the day, John and I walked out of the room, and we headed down to my locker. John draped his arm over my shoulder and pulled me closer to him, as we made our way through the mass of students. Things between us didn't feel different, but they still did in some way. We still acted like best friends...and a little bit more. It wasn't awkward of anything like people would think. Well, I didn't think it was awkward, and I don't think John did either, from the way he acts around me and at school, in front of everyone.

When John and I got to my locker, I put in my combination, and opened it, before pulling out all of my books and folders. John took them from me, as I cleaned out the top part of my locker, and threw the trash away. I shut my locker and I grabbed my books from John, as the two of us started to go down to his locker. Once we got there, he opened it up and cleaned it out quickly, just throwing everything into the trash, besides his textbooks. He shut his locker and sighed.

"Finally." He mumbled.

"Get your textbooks!" I told him. "We have to turn them in or we'll have to pay for them!"

"Fuck textbooks!" John said. "I don't care."

"Get them." I demanded, as I pointed at his now closed locker.

He sighed and put his combination back in, before pulling out his textbooks. He kicked his locker shut and the two of us walked down the hallway, and towards the library, so we could turn in our books.

"Why are you two turning in your textbooks?" The librarian asked, with a rude tone. "School isn't over yet."

"We're moving." John told her, as he set the books on the front desk.

"Name?" She sighed.

"John O'Callaghan."

"Grade?"

"Senior."

"You're good to go." She said, as she scanned his books, and set them on a cart, before looking at me. "And you are?"

"Kalen Michaelson." I said, as I handed her my books.

"Grade?"

"Senior."

"Okay." She nodded, before scanning my books. "You two can leave now."

"Thanks." John said, as he grabbed my hand and walked out of the library.

"God that lady is so fucking annoying." He said, as we started to walk down the stairs, to go towards the exit of the school. "I hated going into the library."

"I remember we went in there sophomore year." I smiled.

"Yeah, and that was the last time we went in there during a studyhall." He said. "I got in trouble for laughing?! Like, really?"

"Well, it is a library." I stated.

"I know but still." He mumbled. "Let's just get out of here."

I nodded and we walked down the hallway, and out the doors of the school. We went across the crowded and busy parking lot, and over to John's car, before getting in. John started up his car, after we put on our seatbelts, and he pulled out of his parking spot. He slowly made his way out of the parking lot, filing behind all of the other cars that were in front of us, before pulling out on the main road, and taking off towards my house.

Once John arrived at my house, he pulled into my driveway, and put his car in park, before I started to get out of the car.

"Bye, John." I said, as he got out of the car. "What are you doing...?"

"Walking you to the door?" John smiled, as he pointed over his shoulder, to my front door. "It's the gentleman thing to do!"

I rolled my eyes as I felt the blood rush up my neck and into my cheeks. I shut the car door and John and I walked up to my front door, before stopping.

"So, what time are we leaving?" I asked.

"Around 9:30." John replied. "I'll give you a call when I'm on my way here."

"How am I supposed to sneak out at 9:30?!" I said.

"Good question." He said, as he tapped his chin. "You know how to climb a tree, right? Just do it the way I come in your room. I'll help you down."

"Alright." I nodded.

"And then hopefully we don't get caught, and we take off towards Tempe." He said, as a smile spread across his face. "I'm so excited."

"Me too." I smiled.

"Are you just saying that?" He asked. "Kay, I don't want to make you feel like you have to go. You don't have to."

"No, John." I sighed. "I want to go. I'm just...kind of unsure."

"Well, I promise everything will be fine." He said. "I got all of my money out of my bank account, or whatever that thing is you can take money out of, so we're covered for a little while. I promise we will be completely fine."

"Okay." I nodded.

"So, I'll see you at 9:30?" He said.

"Yeah." I smiled.

"Great." He said happily.

The two of us stood there for a few minutes, not saying anything, and I looked up at John. He looked down at the ground and smiled, before pressing his lips to mine softly. I kissed him back, before we pulled away. His cheeks were a slight shade of pink and I'm pretty sure my face was beet red.

"I never thought I'd kiss my best friend..." John said slowly, before smiling. "But I like it because your face gets red."

"John, shut up!" I smiled, as I put my head down, because I couldn't cover my face with my hands, since I was holding all of my folders.

"I'm just kidding!" He laughed as lifted my face up to meet his gaze. "I'll see you later."

"Okay." I nodded.

He grinned and kissed me again, before he went down the porch stairs, and to his car. He got in and backed out of my driveway, as I went inside. Once he made sure I was inside, he pulled into the street, waved, and drove down the street. I waved back to him, before going into the house, and shutting the door behind me. I flipped off my shoes and realized that I had all of my folders and books, and I knew my parents would ask about them, if I just set them on the table.

I went upstairs and into my room quickly, before shutting the door behind me. I went over to my desk and opened one of the drawers, so I could throw all of my folders and school papers into it. I shut the drawer, once everything was in it, and looked around my room. I still didn't have anything packed, and I'm not prepared to leave at all.

I went over to my closet, and pulled out my suitcase, before setting it on my bed. I turned on some music, after I unzipped and opened my suitcase, so my parents wouldn't hear me packing, if I ended up making noise that they could hear. I went over to my door and locked it quickly, before I went to my closet. I pulled out a ton of tops and some pairs of pants that I would wear, and I tossed them onto my bed. Once I pulled out everything that I didn't want to leave, I started to fold them up, and set them in my suitcase.

I couldn't believe I was just leaving home, in the middle of the night. I was scared, nervous, and excited. I was excited because at least I would be with John, and that was the only thing that made me happy to go. I was scared and nervous because I didn't want to get caught, or totally wind up on the street. What if John's car broke down? I mean, he didn't have the best engine or the best car in general, so it could break down on us, on any day, at any second. I just had to keep in mind that John had a way for everything, so he wouldn't allow us to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

"Kalen? Kalen?" I heard my dad say, as he knocked on my door.

"Uhm, hang on!" I said, as I closed my suitcase, and set it in my closet carefully, so it wouldn't spill all over.

I shut my closet and turned off my music, before walking towards the doors and opening it to see my dad. "Yeah?"

"Dinner's ready. We've been calling you for five minutes." He said.

"Oh, okay." I nodded. "I'll be right down."

My dad nodded and left my doorway, before I went over to my nightstand and looked at my clock. It was already 6:30. I guess I was so into packing and getting prepared, that I didn't realize how much time had passed, since I started. I walked out of my bedroom and went down the stairs, and into the kitchen, to see my parents and Kayla at the table. I went over and sat down next to Kayla, before we all grabbed some food to eat.

"So, how was your day at school?" My mom asked, as she looked at me, then Kayla.

"It was...fine." I said, as I stabbed some food with my fork, avoiding her gaze.

"My day was good." Kayla nodded. "I got an 'A' on my English test."

"Good job." My dad smiled. "Keep it up, kiddo."

She nodded again and smiled, before we all fell silent and continued to eat our dinner. I ate as much food as I could, so I wouldn't be hungry, while John and I were driving to Tempe, because I wasn't sure if we would stop to eat. When I was done, I set my dish and cup in the sink, before going back upstairs.

I shut and locked my door, once I got into my room, and went over to my desk. I opened one of the cabinets, and pulled out a box, which had all of my money in it. Birthday money, Christmas money, Easter money, and when I got an allowance. My family always gave out money at all holidays, so I would just save it, in case I needed it. And I knew for a fact that I needed it now.

I carried my box to my closet, and opened the door, before setting it in my suitcase, at the very bottom. I went into the bathroom, and grabbed all of my bathroom supplies that I would need, making sure that no one was in the hallway, before going back into my room. I tossed everything into my suitcase, and zipped it shut, struggling slightly because it was so full. I unzipped the small patch in the front, and tossed my phone charger into it, before zipping that up. I kept my suitcase in my closet, so no one would see it, if they came into my room, and I laid down on my bed, before letting out a sigh.

You better be sure you want to go, Kalen. There's no turning back when John shows up at your window at 9:30.

John's P.O.V.

I looked over at my clock, once I finished packing my other bags, and it was already 9:15. I picked everything up and carried it down the stairs. I had a suitcase with all of my clothes in it, a duffel bag with my underwear, socks, and music, and my guitar case. I had to leave my keyboard here, because there was no way I could fit all of that and Kalen's stuff into my car.

I heard the TV going in the family room, and I didn't hear my parents talking, which either meant they were really into the show, or asleep. I quietly went into the family room, to see both of them asleep on the couch. I smiled to myself and grabbed my car keys.

"You guys made this so much easier than I thought." I whispered, as I looked at my parents.

I left the family room, and went into the foyer, before opening the front door. I carried two of my bags outside, and tossed them in my trunk, once I got it open. I raced to the front door and grabbed my other things, so I could put them in the trunk. I shut the front door quietly, making sure not to wake up my parents, and I went down to my car. I got everything inside the trunk and shut it, before sliding behind the wheel.

I smiled as I started my car, making sure I had a full tank of gas, and I backed out of the driveway. I was extremely excited to leave tonight. Hell, I was more than excited. I was beyond stoked. It would just be me and Kalen, in Tempe, and hopefully I could make a better life for myself there. A life with no school, no parents, no one pressuring me to go to college...just me and Kalen making our own decisions.

I pulled out into the street, and started towards Kalen's house. When I got to her house, I pulled up to the curb, so the headlights of my car wouldn't shine into one of the windows, and I got out of my car. I ran to the side of the house, where Kalen's bedroom window was, and looked up. The light was on and the blinds were shut, and I knew she had to be in there.

I grunted and looked around, before picking up a piece of mulch. I stepped back, so I could have a good shot at her window, and I threw the piece of mulch. It make a thunk sound, before bouncing off her window, and I threw another one. A few seconds later, the window opened, and Kalen looked down at me.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

She nodded and I could tell she was a little nervous. I didn't want her to feel like I was forcing her to go. If she really didn't want to go, I would stay here with her, but she told me she wanted to. If she really wasn't happy in Tempe, I knew she would come back here, and I'd probably go back, too, just because if she's not happy, then there's no way I'd be happy.

"How many bags do you have?" I questioned.

"One big one." She replied.

"Okay..." I sighed, trying to figure out a way to get it outside. "Can you just...drop it?"

"I guess." She shrugged.

"I'll try and catch it...so hopefully it doesn't break my arms." I said, with a small smile.

Kalen laughed slightly, and nodded, before leaving her window. She came back with her suitcase and dangled it out the window, before letting it fall to the ground. I quickly moved out of the way, when I realized there was no way in hell I would be able to catch it, and it hit the ground with a loud thud. I saw Kalen looked behind her, as if to check if someone was coming, but she didn't leave from where she was at the window.

"Are you coming?" I asked.

She nodded and slowly came out of her window. She reached for the closet branch she could get a hold of, and swung to the tree. She wrapped her legs around one of the branches and slowly climbed down, while I instructed her to the ground.

"There's a branch right underneath your right foot." I told her.

She reached her right foot down and I smiled. "Other right, Kay."

"We're facing different ways!" She chuckled. "Be quiet because that was my right foot!"

"I know, sorry." I laughed. "Your left!"

She stepped onto the branch, before I went underneath the tree, in case she was going to drop to the ground. She slowly went down the tree, before there were no branches left that she could step on.

"I'm not tall enough to reach the ground." She mumbled, her legs wrapped around the trunk of the tree.

"Drop." I said. "I'll catch you."

"You catch me?" She chuckled. "Okay."

"Do it." I demanded. "I will."

She sighed before letting go of the small branch she was hanging onto, before falling into my arms. I set her down on the ground and grabbed her suitcase, and one of her hands, before leading her towards my car. I tossed her suitcase into the trunk of my car, and then I got into the driver's seat.

"You ready?" I asked, as I looked over at her.

She nodded and smiled, and I took off down the street, before turning onto the main road. The two of us rode down the street in silence, before I remembered that I had a show with the guys.

"Hey, I gotta make a pit stop." I said, as I drove towards the place where the guys and I were having the show at.

Kalen nodded slowly, obviously confused, but didn't ask any questions. Once I got to the place where we were playing the gig, I pulled up to the door and got out.

"I'll come right back out." I told Kalen. "Just stay here."

"Okay." Kalen nodded.

I shut my car door and ran inside the building, before going over to the stage. I saw all of the guys standing on the side, looking around. Once Jake saw me, he motioned for me to come over to him. I hopped up on the stage, and ran to the side.

"You're a half hour late, John!" Brian said. "Where the hell were you?"

"I forgot." I said simply. "Sorry."

"Well, let's go!" Jake said.

"No." I said, as I stopped him.

"No?" He asked. "What the fuck, John?"

"I quit." I told him.

"You quit?!" Brian exclaimed. "What the fuck is your problem?!"

"You guys are my problem." I said, before pinning Kevin against the wall. "Especially you."

"What?" Kevin asked.

"I'll fucking kill you if you ever touch Kalen again, you nasty-ass pervert." I said, my hand clenching the fabric of his shirt.

He didn't say anything and just looked at me with wide eyes, before I hopped off the stage and looked at them, with a smile. "Good luck."

None of them said anything to me, as I made my way out of the building, and back to my car. I climbed in and put my car in drive, before pulling out of the parking lot.

"What was that about?" Kalen asked.

"I quit." I said, as I looked at her.

"Good." She grinned, before looking at me. "So, Tempe?"

"Tempe it is." I smiled, as I pushed my foot against the gas pedal, and sped down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you to everyone who has commented and subscribed!

it means a lot to me and i love you allll!
<3