T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Ten

The rest of the week went by great, people stopped whispering about me in the hall way; I’m sure people still talked about it but at least it isn’t right in front of me. I’ve now been able to concentrate in all of my classes including Mrs. Davis’s. The girl that I had helped out in the hallway earlier that week ended up pressing charges against Chris; boy was she brave I didn’t even have the guts to that the first time I was attacked and it was more severe then what happened to her. Not that I’m judging. He ended up getting suspended for a month and can’t play in the upcoming two games.

Plus this week I’ve noticed some extra attention from Carter and Skyler, even from some of the other football players. I think It’s just Carters Idea of keeping an eye on my though he doesn’t need since Chris can’t come anywhere near the school for the next month, so they’ve got nothing to worry about. But not even having watchful eyes on me could bring me out of my good mood this morning since tonight we were leaving for our youth group trip.

The bus was leaving half an hour after school let out so I had packed my bags last night with the assistance of Claire over the phone telling me that there would be cute out of town boys and you never know what might happen so I needed to pack the appropriate clothing so I wouldn’t end up embarrassing myself. Though I didn’t care what the other guys thought of my clothing it was just a part of who I am and if they can’t accept that then there not worth it to begin with. But just to let Claire know that I was paying attention to what she was saying I packed I few nice things. The only downside of this trip would be it was a long bus ride there and back plus any other stops we made along the way and that we would be getting to the hotel late, and then getting home Monday morning at two o’clock in the morning.

After school let out I decided that I should stop at the store and pick up some munchies for the road. I ended up getting a pack of skittles and a few red bulls to help keep me awake; falling asleep on long bus trips is never a good thing you always wake up to someone taking a picture of with some on your face, in some cases there taking pictures because they put something on your face. I searched the church parking lot for Carters car but both spots on either side had been taking up so I had to park across the lot totally out of the way. By the time I got to the bus there was only a couple of minutes until we were leaving, so I quickly looked for Claire since we were going to be bus buddies only to find that Nick was in my spot and it didn’t look like he was going to move. Claire looked up at me apologetically as I moved towards an empty seat at the back of the bus well at least I still have Carter.

That is until he sat down next to a pretty blonde and started up a conversation, which he had her laughing within seconds. So much for that idea; well at least now I get some leg room, hopefully no one else decides to come since the only spot left is beside me. As the door closed and the bus started to rumble to life and everyone started to take their seats someone started running and waving frantically when they caught the attention of everyone on the bus “wait someone else is coming!” that’s when I prayed for someone hot since I’d be spending the next 4 hours beside them.

Of course he was hot so it was only logical that he scanned the whole bus twice making sure there wasn’t another seat he missed the first time. My heart started to thump fast as Skyler took the seat next to mine. But maybe I wasn’t so lucky since he didn’t say anything or make eye contact; this was going to be a long four hours.

Two hours into the trip and the silence between us was killing me. So I decided to break the ice; since the least I could do was say thank-you to him. Okay anytime now Samantha I kept telling myself as the minutes kept passing without anything. Finally I reached out into the small space between us and tapped his shoulder; this way I’d have his attention and I would have to talk. He turned towards me slowly, and my mouth started running like a ticking time bomb “Hi. I’m sorry but yesterday and the day before I never got the chance to say thank-you so thank-you. I mean for the whole Chris situation.” I bit my cheek to stop myself from saying anything more and sounding even more like an idiot. He looked confused at first but then smiled “Well hi to you too. I’ve never heard that one before and you’re welcome.”

“Can I ask you something then?” I asked now curious.

“Yeah...”

Again the bomb went off “Why did you do it, why’d you help me out with Chris? This will probably sound rude but what why me out of all people?” It was all out before I could stop myself and now Skyler was looking at like a deer in headlights; I should have just kept my mouth shut.

It went silent between us again. I don’t know but it felt like I just made this whole trip feel really awkward. Out of boredom I joined in with the rest of the bus singing whatever song came on the radio next; Usually I wouldn’t sing out loud like this especially with the guy I like sitting right beside me, but I thought why not I already made myself look like a total idiot in front of him and not just once. Though every once in awhile I would catch him smirk and look my way but I somehow managed to ignore it.

~ ~ ~

Never in my life have I been so relieved to get of a bus; usually when you take a bus somewhere it’s to go on a school field trip to some place only the teacher thinks is really cool. And all the kids can’t wait to get back on the bus and get home. We stopped at a mini carnival since we had two hours to kill before we went to listen to speakers and discuss what we’ve been doing within our communities. Our youth leaders handed out tickets to everyone though the only options you had were bumper cars, mini golf, and batting cages. We were also told that we needed to pick a buddy for the rest of the trip; that is so elementary school. But nonetheless after I got my tickets I set out to find Claire.

It took me awhile but I finally found her waiting in the bumper cars line, but she wasn’t alone. As a approached the group they were already forming ‘buddies’ “Okay well I’ve got Nick, Carter’s got Sarah, so we just need to find someone for Skyler... Has anyone seen Sam?” She said as I stood by her side “Okay good now you and Skyler can be buddies for the weekend.” I didn’t have time to protest since we were up next to go. As the guy opened the gate I stood frozen in place while the others walked ahead to find a car. The others behind me kept bumping into me and snickered. Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the side so I wouldn’t get hit “Are you okay?”Skyler asked, looking really confused. I felt my cheeks get hot “The thing is I’ve never done this before.” He chuckled “You don’t have to go alone you know? You could come with me if you want.” I nodded; what could possibly go run right? I have nothing to be afraid of.

The first time we went around I kept my eyes closed and he laughed at me the whole time. By the third time I wanted to drive, which was a big mistake since I ended up getting us stuck in the corner and we became everyone’s target. The batting cages weren’t all that fun Claire, Sarah, and I sat on the bench as Carter, Nick, and Skyler all showed off their horrible baseball skills. “How is that you all know each other?” Sarah asked. Claire spoke before I could say anything “Well Sam and I have been best friends since forever. We just met Carter a few years ago, but it feels like we’ve all been friends since birth. And well Skyler is just hanging out with us because none of his other jock friends are here beside Nick and Carter.” My jaw dropped what brought that on? “He could be here with anyone if he really wanted to Claire.” She didn’t say anything else since the boys were heading back towards us. The next place was the mini golf portion, which I totally owned at though I’ve never played golf in my life. And I remembered why I haven’t played it, it was so boring and slow. I really wanted to go back to the bumper cars. So Skyler and I decided to ditch them at the hole and go to the bumper cars.

As soon as we got into the line, the whistle went off which meant that we needed to get back on the bus so we could be on our way. We didn’t want to be the only community to be late, that would just look bad. I was disappointed the whole bus ride to the auditorium, I felt like a child that was told they couldn’t go play in the play place they have at McDonalds. I didn’t think it was going to be that much fun. I didn’t think I would have that much fun hanging out with Skyler. Maybe this trip will help.