T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Eleven

Once we all got off the bus to take our seats in the auditorium I managed to get separated from the group. I probably looked like a lost puppy searching for the rest of them. I really hope I can find them in time; I really don’t want to get stuck out here with no one. “Have I seen you before?” a voice came from behind me. I turned around slowly and forced myself not to blush. This guy was extremely hot and well built, he must be on the football team for his school or he works out a lot. This guy was perfect, he had jet black hair with gorgeous blue eyes, and he was tall but not too tall. I was too busy starring that I forgot to that he even asked me anything “Well you might have, I come here every year with my youth group.”

“Oh well that’s probably why I recognize you then. I’ve been coming here every year since I was twelve.” Okay so he’s good looking and he cares about the youth in his community; bonus!

“Yeah I’ve been coming here since I was twelve too. It’s just sad to think that this is going to be my last year coming here.”

“Yeah same here. Graduating this year?” he asked.

“Yeah...” I sighed.

“You don’t sound so excited about it.”

“Well I’m excited about it, just you know once you graduate you have to go out and become part of the real world. I just don’t think I’m ready for that quit yet.” This was all true and to me I didn’t even know why I was telling a complete stranger this. I didn’t even know his name. He smiled “Yeah I know what you mean, I don’t think anyone his really ready for the real world. Hey it’s going to start right away; I think we should start making our way to some seats, ladies first.” He said as he opened the big glass doors for me. He’s a gentleman too; this guy sure keeps adding to the list, there’s got to be something about him that’s not perfect.

As we walked into the crowded auditorium I scanned the place looking for some familiar faces “Are you looking for someone?” he asked “I’m just looking for some of the people from my group.” He seemed to gain some confidence from my answer “you must think I’m rude, I haven’t even introduced myself. Hi my name is Andrew.” He stuck out his hand and I took it, while letting out a little giggle “It’s nice to meet you Andrew, I’m Samantha but most people call me Sami.”

“That’s a pretty name for a beautiful girl.” This time I couldn’t help but blush. This guy was pretty amazing. “You seem really nice and just in case can I have your number? I’d like to hang out with you again sometime if that’s alright.” He already had his cell phone. He seemed like a nice guy and it wouldn’t hurt to make another guy friend so we exchanged phones to trade information, that’s when I heard my name being called and felt a tap on my shoulder “Where have you been? We’ve been looking all over for you.” Said a frantic Skyler; “I’ve been talking with Andrew.” I pointed towards Andrew and Skyler’s face filled with disgust. “Well were sitting over on the other side, we saved you a seat.” And he started to pull away. I mouthed the words “sorry” to Andrew and he nodded as if saying it’s alright.

What Skyler did really made me mad. I know it’s really childish but I took my seat and ignored him. I tried to pay attention to what the people were saying on stage but it was really hard to when I was surrounded my multiple conversations and Skyler trying to take to me. Once the speakers realized that no one was listening to them anymore they took this time to get the youth leaders of the different communities to hand out random numbers to everyone. Once we were given the numbers it was up to us to go find the rest of the people with the same number and then we get to share what we’ve been doing for the community; I was given the number 6.

Once I found the group I was glad to see a familiar face “hey, long time know see.”

“Yeah seems like it was only 45 minutes ago.” We both chuckled. And while the rest of the group into discussion Andrew and I sat in chairs just off to the side “So was that your boyfriend?” he asked. I shook my head; I knew my voice would crack because no matter how mad I was at him I still wish that he was. There must have been something written all over my face because he dropped the subject right away; I can add smart to the list now.

The time just seemed to fly while we talked. Before I knew it, it was time for all of us to get back on the bus and head to our hotels for the night. I almost felt bad that we didn’t really share anything about what we do for the community, but then again we found out lots about each other and we actually had a lot in common. It was really weird when we went to say goodbye and we ending up leaving with a goodbye hug and I’ll text you some time.

~ ~ ~

Everyone was restless and hungry the whole ride to the hotel, which made for a boring ride which seemed to take forever before we got there. Before the bus driver opened the door Greg one of the youth leaders told everyone “You can choose your own roommates. There big rooms so 6 people to a room and remember no funny business. We’ll have keys to all of your rooms and will be checking in periodically.” This is the first time in six years that I’ve been coming here that we are allowed to pick our roommates. I wasn’t about to question it though.

This seemed to perk everyone up as we all waited in the lobby waiting to get our keys. It was loud as people were still figuring out who they were going to room with. I already knew that Claire and I would be together no matter what, so naturally that meant that Carter too and since they were with Nick and Sarah they would come to which left the final spot open to Skyler. The look on his faced looked as if we wouldn’t agree to it, but in the end he did.

Our room was on the seventh floor and just as our luck would have it the elevators weren’t working, so buy the time we got to the room us girls felt like our arms were going to fall off. “Who’s up for a little room service, cuzz I don’t know about you guys but I’m starved. Is everyone cool with pizza?” No one answered Nick so he just went ahead and ordered two large pizzas. “So where’s everyone going to sleep?” Sarah asked more to Carter than anyone else by the look in her eyes; though I was wondering the same thing because part of me didn’t want to be stuck with Skyler. “Well I thought we would just with our buddies.” Claire said giving Nick a devilish wink and his face went red. None of us needed to know that; which left me with him.

After all of us had finished of all the pizza they decided to go swimming. I stayed behind because I didn’t pack a bathing suit since we weren’t going to the water park. And just my luck my least favourite person at the moment had forgotten his swim trunks as well. I was just going to go to bed when Skyler asked if I wanted to watch a movie. I know I should still be mad at him, but it’s hard to stay mad at someone you like so I told him sure. The look on his face was priceless; he didn’t actually think I was going to say yes that was for sure. “So what movie are you putting on?” I asked “I’m not sure what are you into?” he asked flipping through the movies on demand.

“How about something scary?” He looked at me surprised “you’re into scary movies?”

I nodded “What just cause I’m a girl, it means I can’t like scary movies?”

“Not all I just didn’t take you for a scary movie kind of person, that’s all.” He shrugged.

“Well I do. I even like rollercoaster’s too.” His eyes lit up like a bulb “So does that mean I have a partner for the amusement park tomorrow?”

“That depends, are you afraid of heights?”

“Nope.” He popped the p at the end.

“Then it looks like were partners.” I smiled “So have you picked a movie yet?”

“How about paranormal activity? I haven’t seen that one yet.”

“Sure. But if I have nightmares I’m blaming you.” It’s true I was going to blame him. I mean I love scary movies and from what I heard about this one it was scary, when it came out in theatres people actually left screaming.

20 minutes into the movie it was starting to get creepy, and it was starting to get to me since I was in an unfamiliar place and all, and I found myself scouting closer to Skyler. As soon as something scary happened I hid my face behind his shoulder. By the middle of the movie I was curled up against his side and clinging to his arm. I felt my eyes slowly beginning to become heavy and my eyes were closed a big chunk of the movie anyway so I just let sleep wash over me.