T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Sixteen

In the past two weeks I was able to forget about my problems mainly Chris; I haven’t heard from him, hopefully he’s found something better to pass his time with. I know that going to the police when I got that one text about my mom, but not going actually made him leave me alone, I guess it’s no fun when you get no reaction.
I have officially gone to every football practice where not only to get to see Skyler, but I get to hang out with my new friends. We’ve actually been hanging out outside of the practices; I find that we all have a lot in common, taste in boys one of those things. As I gazed out onto the field I saw Skyler and was reminded about last week
“It doesn’t look good little lady. It’s going to take a lot of hours and time to find the parts, were looking at minimally $7000.” The guy from the auto shop said wiping off his hands, while my jaw hit the concrete. Seriously Mom was going to kill me if she has to fork out that kind of money. Skyler rested a hand on my shoulder “We’ll have to get back to you, that’s a lot of money to fork out.” The old man smiled at us “I understand, here’s my card when you decide.” He handed it to me before getting into his pick up truck and driving off. I turned to Skyler “Why’d you tell him that we’d get back to him? I need to get my car fixed….” He chuckled at my expression “Because I’ll fix it, well with your assistance of course.”
“You know how to fix cars?” he gave a hurt expression “How else do you think my car hasn’t broken down yet?” “Auto shops.” “Sam, have a little trust please.”
“Fine, but if you can’t fix it then you have to pay for it.” The smile on his face was from ear to ear.
The whistle blew and the smile spread across my face Shania tapped my shoulder “Hey you got a little drool right here.” She said point to the corner of her mouth, I wiped at my dry mouth as they giggled. I should have scowled or something but I was just too happy.
We walked closer to the doors while we wait for the boys to finish up in the locker room. When we reached the doors some of the team was already heading out, Shania and Jennifer waved goodbye as the linked arms with there boyfriends and headed off. Soon after Mike walked through the door and greeted Jessica with a hug and walked away, before they could get too far she stopped and jogged back towards me “Just wanted to say don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” She wiggled her eyebrows before bounding off again, just as Skyler walked outside with a huge smile on his face “Are you ready?” I nodded as we made our way towards his car.
I took in the house with a whole new perspective since last time it wasn’t such a nice visit. As we pulled into the driveway a golden retriever came running to my side of the car, as I stepped out the dog jumped up on me “Goldie get down.” Skyler said pulling the dog down “Sorry he likes people to much.” I gave him a questioning look “Goldie?”
“Hey I was 5.” He shrugged it off and towed me inside the house were shoes crowded the front foyer. I slipped my shoes off and pushed them neatly aside and followed Skyler. In the kitchen a crowd of children sat at a rectangular table, as soon as we walked into the room all eyes were on me, soon followed by them all saying hi. Skyler pointed to each of them saying there names in which I tried to remember but that was a lot of k’s to remember. After they were introduced they went back to eating there snack, “Mom this is Samantha, Samantha this is my mother.” Skyler said pointing between us; I smiled “It’s nice to meet you.” She didn’t return the smile and turned back to her preparation for dinner.
I heard Skyler suck in a breath as he pushed past his mother grabbed two cokes and a bag of cookies and motioned for me to follow him out the door. He led me into the garage where it was filled with tools and shelves filled with children’s outdoor toys, “I’m sorry about my mother, she’s just exhausted. She stays home with them all.” I waved it off; I’d probably be the same way. My car sat in the middle of the garage, and Skyler wasted no time getting started. He found a piece of loose leave and a pen and walked towards the open hood and started writing things down, this confused me “I thought you said you were going to fix it, not write.”
He smiled my way “I am going to fix it. But I can’t fix it if I don’t know which parts I need to get.” Immediately I felt my cheeks redden, and I opened my pop to distract myself, and pressed my back against the wall. “So this was just a ploy to get me over here wasn’t it?” He raised an eyebrow “Well you don’t need me today, since were not working on the car.” Skyler put the pen and paper down and started walking towards me “What if I said it was?” he was just mere inches from my face, my heart started thumping away “I’d…I’d….” He was now leaning down the door swung open and the wall moved from behind me, Skyler caught my arm before I fell over “Sorry to interrupt” she didn’t sound sorry at all “But Skyler you need to take her home now, were eating in 10.” She said and then walked away. Skyler looked like he was about to call out to her but instead led me back to the foyer were I quietly slipped my shoes back on, and followed him to the car. Once in the car He turned to me “I’m really sorry about my mother. Sometimes she’s just weird…” “It’s alright.” I lied, how you could be so rude to someone that you just met. I looked out the passenger window and the ride was silent.

Skyler’s P.O.V
After practice I was bouncing with excitement the whole afternoon working on the car while hanging out with Sam. I couldn’t help but smile when I walked through the doors and seen her waiting. The whole drive I was worried about her meeting my family; it can be a lot to take in all at once considering how many of us there are.
It was such a relief when I walked through the door when they didn’t all come hurtling towards us. Once in the kitchen I watched as Sam’s face never lost its composer she smiled and greeted every one of the kids. And when I introduced her to my mother she extended her hand, and even when my mother didn’t return the gesture even then she didn’t show if she was displeased. I would have introduced her to my father but he was still on his way home.
In the garage the expression on her face was priceless when she asked if it was all just a ploy to get her here. I never thought of it that way, but there was some truth in it. I didn’t really exactly need her for this part. Before she looked away I saw the faint blush in her cheeks I made set down the pen and paper and slowly walked towards her “What if it was?” I was now just inches away from her face, if I were to lean down my lips would be on hers. “I’d…I’d…” she whispered the words, I felt the smirk I wanted to know what it would be like, if she would let me, if she felt the same way I did. I started to lean down, before my lips could reach hers the door opened and Sam slightly fell back before I caught hold of her.
Sam had her back to my mother which I was thankful for since she wasn’t able to see the look she gave her. Part of me wanted to tell my mother to take a flying leap; I don’t know why she has such distaste towards Sam when she doesn’t even know her. After apologising I followed my mother’s orders and drove Sam home. Though she told me that she was alright with the way my mother acted, I could tell it was a lie since the drive was quiet and she took to look out the window the whole time. She thanked me before closing the door and walking inside.
When I got home I didn’t go to the kitchen to eat with everyone else, I couldn’t stand looking at my mother at this point in time. So instead I went to my room, put my head phones in and started on some homework.
Back to Sam
I know I shouldn’t be all that bothered but the way Skyler’s mother looked at me, really hurt. After I was finished my homework, I went downstairs to see what mom was up to. All the lights in the house were turned off except for the kitchen.
When I walked in mom was sitting at the kitchen table with her eyes glued to her laptop. She’s been staying up late working, and it showed on her face right now, her eyes were droopy, her hair in a messy bun, and in her housecoat. Stepping towards the cupboard I saw her jump “Sorry” I said quietly “its fine just didn’t here you that’s all.” She looked at me questionably, as if debating weather or not to ask me something. When she didn’t say anything I proceeded to get a class of milk and sit across from her.
“Samantha, I’ve got some news. And it’s not all that good.” I set my class down and waited for her to continue “I’ve got this business meeting that I can’t get out of, believe me I’ve tried.” When I didn’t answer she went on “I’ve got to leave for two weeks…”
“When do you leave?” I was use to mom leaving for work. She worked in the fashion industry which meant she did a lot of travelling, but this time it was going to be different, it would be me and Ian. Sure I’ve watched him while mom was busy, but I never really had to be responsible for his well being. “I leave Thursday afternoon.” A silence fell over the kitchen, she’d be gone in two days, and it doesn’t give me much time to prepare myself.
“I’ll be leaving you some money for groceries; I’ll try to go shopping before I leave. I’ve also let the Dawson’s know that I’m leaving so if you need help with anything you can call them. And since you don’t have a car right now and I’m gonna be leaving mine at the airport Carter has offered to drive you if you need it, but I’m sure you’d rather get on from Skyler. Since you two have been hanging out a lot lately, by the way he’s not allowed to spend the night while I’m away.”
I wasn’t even thinking about having him over for the night. But now the thought was in my mind. “Mom were just friends, and I wouldn’t do that.” She smiled “I know. I just had to make sure. Well I’m going to bed goodnight sweetie.” She kissed my forehead and headed up the stairs. I put my glass in the sink, turned off the lights and went to bed myself.