Colors of the Heart

For the Love of Greed

Vincent held Charlotte by the throat as Emma and her friends walked into the theater unaware of the conflict that was happening a few feet away from them. Charlotte’s feet were off of the ground as she was being held captive by Vincent’s anger that shown in his emerald eyes. Charlotte could see her reflection in them and she smiled like a child caught in the act of breaking something. When Vincent saw that smile his body tensed up as he held her tighter in his sweaty hand as he tried not the let her get to him. Then as if all his fear for the black haired devil that he held in his grasp shown on his face she began to giggle. Vincent tried not to let his surprise show on his face, but that only made Charlotte laugh. Her laugh sounded whimsical, pure, like a small child playing out of pure enjoyment and it frighten Vincent as he felt a cold chill run down his back.

Of all the years Vincent had known Charlotte he knew there were only a few reasons she would laugh like that. A. She found a new ‘toy,’ and B. She was planning something that could be disastrous. The first time he heard her laugh had to be the first time he ever felt True fear. Little did he know then that that laugh would result in Charlotte holding him captive in her home for several days.

“I grow bored, Vinnie” Charlotte huffed, “Put me down. I wish to watch a movie.”
“You don’t watch movies unless it’s in the comfort of your own home” Vincent said.
“Ah!” her face brightened up, “So you remember the time we spent together, dear Vinnie.” She was beginning to swing her feet as if she was sitting by a pool full of ease and comfort, “Those were good times weren’t they?” Like hell Vincent thought “I do miss those times” she began to reminisce, “You’d sit on the couch as I laid my head on your lap while we watched Sunset Boulevard.”

“You know damn well you chained me on that bloody piece of furniture” Vincent growled.

“Live and let go, dear Vinnie” she said as her red lips curled into a smile, “And speaking of letting go.” Suddenly Vincent felt all the air inside of him come out as he released Charlotte and fell to the floor. His stomach aching Vincent tried to grasp air as he looked up and saw Xavier loom over him. “Did you need to use so much force? I think a little tap would have sufficed.”

“If you didn’t get caught in such a bind I would not need to use force at all, Charlotte” Xavier said sternly as he began inspecting Charlotte like a priceless artifact. As if his inspecting her was as normal as breathing Charlotte spun around for Xavier and did a few stretches. With a nod Xavier was satisfied with Charlotte’s condition so he then returned his attention to Vincent who was on his hands and knees. With a sigh Xavier grabbed the back of Vincent’s jacket and lifted him off the ground setting the stunned man on his feet. Vincent jumped away from Xavier as if it was a reflex and watched as Xavier studied his face. Charlotte skipped over to Vincent and wrapped her thin arms around his right arm as if what just happened a moment ago never accord. Vincent felt his body go rigid when he noticed the look on Xavier’s face that screamed murder and back off. Before Vincent had only heard rumors about the overly possessive, tall, dark, Xavier Esparza. Seeing how he seems to be calm and collected only when it doesn’t involve his porcelain doll like partner Charlotte. Vincent tried to pry Charlotte off of him, but it was as if she super glued herself to his arm.

“Why are you trying to pull me off, Vinnie?” Charlotte whispered.

“I’m not comfortable with you touching me.”

She giggled and revealed her nightly wings that lifted her a bit off the ground. Charlotte circled Vincent as she continued to giggle until she rested on Vincent’s back. She wrapped her arms around his neck as Vincent remained motionless trying to understand what was happening. Still he felt restless as he felt Charlotte’s chest move up and down with every breath she took on his back. Vincent watched as her wings surrounded them creating a dark wall between them and Xavier. Black feathers fell to the floor as the two of them stayed silent. Charlotte sighed and her breath warmed Vincent’s cheek.

“Why do you act this way, Vincent?” Charlotte sounded like a mature woman, “Is it me?”

“Somewhat,” Vincent’s voice sounded cold, but Charlotte did not mind his icy response. The black angel snuggled up on his back wearing a smile that held as much warmth as Vincent’s voice.

“You know I love your honesty Vincent. It’s bitter and sweet. Just like that personality and face of yours.” Vincent could feel his brain twist and turn trying to understand what Charlotte’s intentions were, why she came to spy on Emma, and allow her to see her dark womanly figure. Charlotte would never allow a human to lay eyes upon her unless she had a devilish scheme in place. “You’re just like chocolate. I can never get too much chocolate; I can never get too much Vincent.” Charlotte whispered his name.

“Get off,” Vincent said sternly.

“Why?” asked Charlotte.

“Because what you are doing is merely a distraction from the current situation at hand, Charlotte. Though I will admit I am bitter, but you are far worse.” Vincent turned around to look eye to eye with Charlotte, “What I see when I look at you is not a woman who has fallen to the same intoxicating temptations I have, but a demon like vixen who is both sour and hollow. A being, if so, with no morals, hardly any ethics at all, and very questionable ways about going about business when in come to collecting souls for the uprising. You have no means for people unless it’s for your dirty work, which will later result in you disposing of your subordinates. I will admit I could never agree with you when it comes to how to deal with business and that what I am saying is foolish, but I feel if I don’t speak now I may regret it later.” Vincent took a second to calm his nerves. “You will NOT get involved with my affairs during my stay here for this assignment.” Vincent held Charlotte’s gaze, “Emma is my prey.”

Charlotte stared at Vincent with an expressionless face as everything he said seeped into her. Then the corner of her mouth curled into a smile like if she found what he said amusing. “Love”, Charlotte said, “I don’t think I can do that.”

“You will,” Vincent’s expression was serious and Charlotte grew impatient.

“Oh?” she paused, “And why would I do that after all that you have said to me?”

“Because if you don’t you will lose your most valuable possession,” Vincent told her sternly as Charlotte’s face twisted with anger.

“You wouldn’t dare!” she said with venom seeping out with every word.

“I can and will if you don’t back off.” Vincent held his ground trying to look menacing in front of the one he feared the most. Charlotte’s feathers ruffled up a bit as she seriously considered Vincent’s threat.

“How could you say that to me?” her voice was cold and her words shot out at him like icicles, but he did not stir from her.

“I need you to understand that I mean business” Vincent told her.

“Fine then I’ll back off and watch from the sidelines.” Charlotte said trying to keep her
composure, “But I won’t be watching forever, Vincent. At some point I’ll step in and steal her.”

“I won’t let that happen.” Vincent said and Charlotte’s face softened up a bit. She looked at Vincent with sympathetic eyes.

“Love,” she touched Vincent’s face gently, “She isn’t her, she is not-“

“Don’t say her name!’ Vincent yelled and violently pushed Charlotte away. Charlotte fell to the ground and her feathers dispersed letting light touch their faces. Once the black barrier collapsed Xavier was quick to react and went to Charlotte’s side. He kneeled down to look at her but she filched away causing Xavier to quickly turn to Vincent who watched the two of them. Xavier stood up prepared to go after Vincent when he felt a tug on his hand.

“Don’t,” Charlotte said as she stood up, “I aggravated him. He needs no punishment; I was the one in the wrong.” Xavier clenched his teeth and then nodded at Vincent who wore a stern expression. “Remember not to lose yourself, Vinnie. Contain that anger of yours when it comes time to take her soul. Because if you screw up again I will find you and I can promise my visit to you won’t be pleasant.” Vincent nodded and then walked away into the theater. Charlotte then leaned on Xavier before her legs gave out from under her as she fell to the floor. Xavier picked her up in his arms caressing her like a princess.

She looked drained of power and was she was losing color in her face. Beads of cold sweat rolled down her cheek as her breathing became heavy. Xavier could feel his anger boil within him as he look down as Charlotte in her condition. Charlotte’s giggle snapped Xavier out of his trance of anger as he gave her a puzzled look. Charlotte’s giggle died down and she became sullen looking at Xavier.

“It’s not his fault, Xavier.” Charlotte said, “I let my guard down and then aggravated him. I was bound to get hurt.”

“Why do you do this Charlotte? Why do you toy with others’ emotions?” Xavier asked.
“You forget Xavier,” Charlotte flinched from a sudden stab of pain that shot through her back. “We aren’t supposed to have emotions. So there is no way I’m toying with Vincent’s.”

“Then what was that scene about then?” Xavier asked.

“I’m merely checking his limits. How much he can stand before breaking, how long it will take before his anger consumes him. I want to know Xavier, I want to know.”

“But what if he hurts you again, Charlotte?” Xavier asked.

“He won’t hurt me,” she relaxed in Xavier’s arms, “actually; it’s more like he can’t hurt me.”

“Because you are stronger than him.” Xavier stated.

“That and I have you.” Charlotte said as she felt fatigue. Xavier walked to the emergency exit and opened the door setting off the alarm. People started scrambling about as Xavier walked out of the building. Once alone outside he spread his wings and took off into the sky. Charlotte looked up at Xavier half asleep.

“I love your black wings. They are silky and smooth. I do believe they are indeed gorgeous.” Charlotte said.

“You know they hold no merit compared to yours.” Xavier said.

“Xavier.”

“Yes?”

“Why do you think that Vincent hates his wings?” Charlotte asked.

“I believe he hates his because Vincent does not crave the power we crave. He craves the purity that is contained in every white feather on an angel’s back.” Xavier told Charlotte.

“Unlike us he wishes to be able to feel emotion and live without death… ‘Live’, we aren’t even alive.”

“That might be Charlotte.” Xavier said as he flew over houses as lights began to switch off from behind the windows. “Out of curiosity, what did you ell Vincent that made him act in that manner?”

“Haven’t you ever heard of the saying, ‘curiosity killed the cat’?” Charlotte said sarcastically and Xavier chuckled.

“Like you said ‘we aren’t even alive.’”

Charlotte sighed, “Okay, I told him that that girl wasn’t her.”

“Ah. No wonder he yelled and attacked you.”

“It wasn’t an attack it more like a fit. Just a fit.”

“That ‘fit’ made your feathers disperse when you hit the ground.” Xavier said sternly, “you are going to be stuck in bed until your wings heal and your feather return.” Charlotte rolled her eyes at what Xavier was saying.

“I’ve haven’t had a father for two hundred years, Xavier. I don’t need you acting like one now.” Charlotte said and then flinched from the pain again.

“If I don’t look after you, who will then?” he asked.

“There are others. It’s not just you.”

“But you allow them to care for you like I do without breaking their arms?” Charlotte remained silent. “See, I thought so.”

“Xavier” Charlotte said calmly.

“Hm?” Xavier flew over some trees looking for their hidden estate.

“I’m worried about Vincent.”

“He’s a grown man, Charlotte. There is nothing to worry about.” Xavier descended to the terrace that linked to Charlotte’s room. With a flap of his wing the flinch doors flew open and he entered the crimson colored room. Xavier placed Charlotte on her stomach on the bed and ripped her blouse open. Her back had two large red marks under her shoulder blade, which looked like burn marks, where her wings should have come out. Xavier bit back a comment and walk away into the joined master bath and gathered up some hand towels. He wet two and returned to Charlotte who watched him come out of the bath. He placed each towel gently on the marking on her back and she hissed. Xavier could see her dig her nails into the mattress from the pain that shot through her as he sat in the loveseat next to the bed.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“No” Charlotte clenched her teeth, “it stings.”

“It’s only water.” Xavier said looking at her face. A few minutes passed and Charlotte began to relax a bit.

“You do know I’m still worried about Vincent.” Charlotte said.

“Oh. Not that again, Charlotte.” Xavier whined, “You don’t need to worry about him.”

“Yes I do!” Charlotte exclaimed.

“Why?” Xavier tried to control his patience, but it was warring thin.

“Because he still has emotions,” Charlotte yelled, “he can still feel.”

“So?” Xavier asked, “What does his feeling have to do with us?”

“At least try to understand, Xavier.” Charlotte said looking a bit disappointed that she had to explain everything to him. “If Vincent still has his emotion they can influence him during his assignment here. You know what he did to me when I almost spoke that bloody woman’s name and the girl that’s his prey looks identical to her. Can’t you imagine what he would do to her if he snapped? That boy needs to control his emotions, or even better. Get. Rid. Of. Them. Before everything we’ve worked for blows up in our faces. And if he does screw up we may have to dispose of him…personally.”

“I see,” Xavier crossed his legs and thought to himself, “and what to you believe his feelings are toward his previous. What’s the word I’m looking for? Significant other”

“That’s what scares me, Xavier. He loved her and then she betrayed him. Then like many of the fallen do he went after her with the intent to kill her. Yet one hundred and forty years later he still refuses to hear her name. He has basically forbid anyone to speak of her and it baffles me. I can’t tell if he refuses to hear her name because he despises her or the fact that he still loves her and doesn’t want to taint her name more then what it is already. I don’t know, Xavier. I just don’t know.”