The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 17

The sun peeping in through the window gently woke me from my sleep. I forced my eyes to open and rubbed them viciously when they began to shut again and glanced about the room.

My maids weren’t in the room. Obviously they were down in the servants quarters, sleeping, which surprised me. I thought they would be much too uptight to leave me alone but apparently not. In a way that relieved me. My emotions had settled but I was still feeling fragile and did not particularly want to be glared or snarled at.

I blinked a few times and it was when the blurriness focused that I realised Vincent was still in the same chair I remembered him in, silent and watching me with an unwavering gaze. I squirmed mentally as I pushed myself up to sit on the bed with the blanket wrapped around me.

“Why are you still awake?” I asked after my will broke under the silence and dark stare. “I would think you’d want to sleep at this time of day.” I glanced at the window. It was early afternoon by the brightness and the curtains kept most of the sun out but not all of it. It reached just beyond my stupidly large bed. Unlike the rest of the house, the windows in this room did not need to block out the sun. There was no need when its owner could walk about in the light unfazed.

My eyes were dragged back to Vincent when he shrugged his broad shoulders.

“I have slept far too long. Four years in fact. Staying awake for a while will do me good.” He replied.

I agreed rapidly, trying to ignore the guilt seeping into my mind. “But the sun, is it not hurting you or making you sleepy?”

“I dozed for a bit but otherwise no. I am virtually a Blue blood, Lady, only a grandson of a human. It will take a lot more than a Romanian winter sun to wear me down.”

We lapsed in to silence. He didn’t seem bothered about it and just continued to watch me as I slowly became more and more uncomfortable. I racked my brain for something to say and nearly sighed in relief when he spoke, relieving me of stress in trying to find a subject to talk about other than the weather.

“Why did you reach out to me last night?” His eyes never wavered when he asked this even though I slowly became embarrassed when his words sunk in.

“I did?” I asked even as I remembered. I had reached out for him last night and slept in his mind as I always had done. My gaze latched onto me fingers, refusing to look at him. “I am sorry. After four years of sharing your mind every night I guess it has become a bit of a habit. I will remember not too in future.” I stammered.

“Don’t.” He said sharply.

I glanced up at him then, shocked and red faced. His face was stern, angry even, at my suggestion. I wanted to ask him why but my voice was lost to me. Silence flooded in once again only to be broken by a recognisable snore.

My eyes shot over to the wicker chair beside the door and saw Viorel sprawled out, his head propped up by a large hand and the shot gun placed on his legs. I smiled gently at him. He always forced himself to stay up until exhaustion finally rendered him unconscious.

“He will be angry with me when he wakes.” Vincent commented under his breath.

“Why?” I questioned, all embarrassment gone by his comment.

“He managed to convince your guards he alone was enough to guard you up here then demanded that I wake him if he fell asleep.” He said, leaning back and rubbing his strong jaw. “Obviously I did not do as he wanted.”

A smile tugged at my mouth. “Thank you. Viorel has been in need of sleep ever since the first attack. He has been wound up quite tightly.”

“Thought as much.”

My smile grew and I allowed my eyes one glance at Vincent, who’s head was now flung back as he rubbed his eyes, before Viorel twitched and sighed, waking slowly. He groaned and leaned forward, unintentionally letting the shotgun he had forgotten about fall to the floor. Thankfully the loaded gun didn’t go off.

I slipped out of bed and pattered over to him. My hand touched his blond hair, pushing the strands back as he tried to wake himself up by rubbing his hands over his face hard. I smiled at him gently as he blinked up at me wearily.

“Eva, you’re awake?” He mumbled then seemed to realised that he had been asleep and anger snapped into life.

He leapt onto his feet and pointed an accusing finger at Vincent who had closed his eyes and was resting calmly.

“You!” Viorel snapped. “Why didn’t you wake me?”

Vincent sighed heavily, almost in an exasperated tone. “Because you fell asleep almost half an hour after you relayed your demands.” He said roughly, not bothering to look at Viorel. “A man who had as much fire as you did about protecting the Lady wouldn’t have fallen asleep unless he was exhausted so I left you.”

Viorel fell silent but his rage grew, so much so he almost shook. Gently I rubbed his shoulder in an attempt to sooth him.

“Letting you sleep was wise, Viorel. You are not like my guards. You need more sleep to function and you have not been getting it.” I scolded gently.

His shoulders drooped and his anger was almost extinguished instantly which worried me. Slowly Viorel nodded and rubbed his head.

“I will try to get some more sleep then Eva if it worries you.” He mumbled.

My smile returned. “That’s all I ask. You can sleep or wait. We will be leaving as soon as the sun sets in four hours.”

He nodded his head again and shuffled out of the room, like a dog with his tail between his legs. As soon as the door closed behind him a low chuckle rumbled out from Vincent’s chest.

“Woman, you certainly know how to punch a man hard with words.” He commented with a hint of humour in his voice.

My eyebrows snapped down in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“The boy, he lives to protect you. It’s obvious. You virtually telling him he is weak is a blow to his pride.”

“What?” I stammered. The idea that I had hurt Viorel’s feelings was gut wrenching. “But I never said that! I just want him to take more care of himself. Forcing himself to work constantly without sleep is going to make him ill.”

“And he knows that but it is still a blow. I am sure he wishes he wasn’t human. He wants strength to fight for you and if that means watching over you while you sleep or seeking information, then he will do it even if it means that it results in his own destroyed health.”

“But I don’t want that! I want him to be healthy, to live a normal human life and have a normal human family. I don’t want him to continue living a dangerous life next to me.” I argued, trying to stop the sad frown forming on my face and failing.

Vincent gave me one hard look before he stood firmly, strode over to me and grabbed my chin roughly, forcing my head back so I had to look up at his dark hard eyes.

“His life is not yours to choose, Lady. He will go where he wants and if his loyalty demands that ends up staying by you, fine, don’t try to dissuade him. You have no right to.” Vincent said firmly. “You understand?”

I swallowed heavily and nodded my head, partly out of realising the stark truth of his words but also because I him to let go so I could look away. His stare was making me nervous.

“I understand.” I whispered.

“Then wipe that sorry expression from your face.” Vincent snapped.

I blinked and looked confused however that was apparently enough for him. He let his hand drop away and moved back to his chair, leaving me alone and feeling a little hot faced.

“Now, what are you planning to do about this problem of yours?” He asked.

I sighed heavily and plonked myself on the floor, wrapping my arms around my legs and planning my chin on my knees. “There’s nothing I can do until they decide to reappear again. I will keep looking though and see if I can find the man who ruined your-”

“That’s not what I am asking about.” Vincent said, cutting me off firmly. “I am asking about the attempts on your life. What are you going to do about them?”

I hesitated. “I am not sure. Search for any links between the vampire and werewolf and go from there I guess.”

He stared at him with narrowed eyes. “You guess? When it comes to protecting the clans, you instantly go all out in trying to find the source of the threat. However when it’s solely about you, you don’t really bother.”

“Well I don’t feel that I am that important.” I mumbled to myself.

“Were you ignoring what your guards and that Elder were telling you yesterday?” He snapped sharply. I remained silent which made him growl in annoyance. “Fine, but be careful. Don’t do anything stupid like wondering off on your own or talk to insane serial killers. Leave the hunting to myself and your maids.”

My eyes jumped up to his face. “You’re going to help find my assassin?”

He gave me a look that said I should stop blurting out such stupid comments and earned a snarl. “In return for keeping me sane for four years, I will stay by you. So until this new problem is sorted, you’re stuck with me.”

A smile suddenly spread over my face and the expression I gave him was unintentionally affectionate.

“That’s not something to be happy about.” He growled and glanced away to glare at the shining window.

If it wasn’t for the fact I could feel a pool of warmth ripple in his mind, I would’ve felt afraid. However I was happy instead and I continued to sit there, smiling at him even as his face got graver and graver.

Eventually he sighed sharply and mumbled about having a nap, firmly closing his eyes and letting his head lean against the back of the chair, leaving me alone to think on his words.

Vincent was very blunt with me, much like Margot. He didn’t tip toe about me, wasn’t polite and very opinionated. Having so many people around me who tried to not make me upset made me scared of stepping forward. I wanted to know if I did something wrong or if I was going about something that may be dangerous. I knew Vincent would help me with that. He would make sure I do my duty properly, even if he is very blunt about it to the point it’s rude.

And he was right about Viorel.

I still saw him as a little boy, a defenceless child in need of protection. He didn’t. He was twenty now, an adult and in control of his life. If he wanted to remain in the Old Ones world then I couldn’t really stop him but that didn’t mean I couldn’t worry about him and stop mothering him. To me, he was my child, my good friend and only family member. I would protect him whether it’s from monsters or from self destruction. He was human, not a powerful creature. If he wasn’t careful he could step on a landmine and be killed and I wasn’t going to protect him from that thought. I needed to make sure he understood that.

With a gentle sigh, I shifted my weight and let my eyes focus on the man who was now dozing contentedly in the chair just as he had said he would. He looked harmless while he slept but strangely dangerous at the same time. They way he held himself was calm but you couldn’t mistake the litheness hidden in his muscles, ready to spring to life if he felt danger. I would be safe around him, that I was certain.

Gently I hummed to myself on the floor, now and then skimming both Viorel’s and Vincent’s minds, waiting for the sun to set so I could gather my odd family and take them home.