The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 33

By the end of the fourth treatment, I found that I was nearly done in sealing Susan’s Matter. So far the majority of the seal had been formed but I allowed her Matter to continue to run rampant so she didn’t suspect what Lucius had asked me to do. It was the Key that I was finding difficult. Not only did I have to create a hole in the seal but I would need to make it so, once it had been destroyed, it would rapidly recover when Lucius wanted it to. It was a difficult challenge but one I felt I was winning.

Susan had flittered away long ago, dragging Viorel with her as she sought something to entertain her, and leaving me alone in the garden. Livia had changed shifts with Sonia and currently stood nearby, watching the shadows calmly, while I hummed to myself.

My confusion towards Vincent was still just as muddled before I spoke to him about my thoughts. All that had come from vaguely speaking of my feelings was that I now knew that he cared for me. Whether or not as a friend or something more was still yet to be discerned but he genuinely cared for me and that was enough to put my worries to rest. Although what question I asked him in my fever was still a mystery to me. No matter how hard I thought, I couldn’t think of what I’d ask him.

As I sat and nursed my usual headache after being in contact with Matter for so long, Vincent stirred at the other end of the thread. It was a gentle nudge but it was enough to get me to scan my surroundings. A car was approaching and it was filled with an angry and nervous aura.

With a slight sigh I hopped back onto my feet and indicated for Livia to follow. As I made my way back to my house, I sought Viorel and filled his mind with a calm presence.

‘Viorel, the Elders are coming.’ I told him gently. ‘Keep Susan occupied and away from the house. Christof is known to be quite snappish around Witches.’ I warned him.

He sent a silent reply and carried on entertaining the cool child. I didn’t know how he did it but he seemed to get on well with Susan. Maybe it was the similarities of their history but whatever it was, I was just glad that Susan wasn’t trying to escape when in his presence.

I walked rapidly through my house and threw open the front door just in time to see the car die in front of me. Dana stepped out and smoothly opened the passenger for the Elders to step out. Christof was the first who rushed to greet me. His expression was grave but not surprised. It was clear he had never let go of his original warnings of a Silver becoming Lost. Beriko and Nuan were both calm however there was a tight air about them which I wasn’t surprised about.

As soon as they were in front of me, I turned and lead them indoors. As soon as Christof stopped, he whirled around to face me and instantly went straight to the point.

“Tell us exactly what happened, Lady.” He said in an almost demanding tone.

“I fell asleep with my mind attached to the assassin we had caught. I couldn’t get through the mind block he head so I left my mind vaguely attached to his to alert me when there was a chance to break through.” I sighed lightly and wringed my hands. “I had a nightmare; my second one I should add. It was different from the first though. I could feel someone else within me and then I dreamt someone trying to strangle me.”

Christof was turning red with anger and was about to fly off into a rage, about my obsession with secrets I sensed, until Nuan stepped in.

“Why did you not tell us about the nightmares?” She asked while rubbing Christof’s arm in hopes of soothing his anger.

“I felt I was being paranoid.” I mumbled. “I didn’t want to alert you to something that could’ve just been nothing.”

“Lady, the nightmares you dream are the sign of a Lost Silver. They can hide from you their identity but they can’t hide about their existence.” She said sadly then smiled weakly in comfort. “You must remember Lady that anything you feel threatened by, no matter how insignificant, you can tell us. We’d prefer you to be paranoid and alert us than letting an enemy getting as close to killing you as he did. Looking after you is not a waste of time.”

I couldn’t say anything to her kind comment so instead I just nodded my head limply.

“Do you have any idea on who it may be?” Beriko asked me, breaking his normal silence.

“I am not sure. I spoke to Jonathan recently, even during the early days of the assassination attempts, and he appeared perfectly normal. Vasco has also appeared normal.” I said glumly.

“I thought as much. Silvers are hard to find once they turn. We shall have to get you to safety, someplace secret and away from the Old World while we hunt down the Lost one.”

“When we have found him, we shall call for you.” Nuan said gently. “You will then end him and put him at peace.”

“Where shall I go while I wait?” I asked in a small voice.

The Elders glanced at each other in silent conversation before Christof spoke having calmed down considerably.

“We are not sure.” He admitted before his head snapped up to the stairs. “There is someone else here.”

He wasn’t alarmed, more curious. It did not take me long to work out that he had in fact sensed Lucius.

“Lucius Rain is currently here.” I explained. “I said I would help him with a problem of his.”

Nuan tilted her head in thought after giving me a warm smile at hearing I was helping Lucius. “The Rain clan is one of the largest and extraordinarily loyal to their Second Head. It may be we could hide you there, like hiding a needle in a haystack.”

Christof shook his head in disagreement. “No, I would rather her be somewhere with less vampires. The Silver is capable of controlling weak willed. If she is with any section of the Rain clan, there will at least one or two who the Silver can control; twenty if she is in the main house.”

“Too many eyes and ears the Silver will be able to use.” Berkio muttered darkly. “She won’t be hidden for long.”

“Then the Blackburn household will have to do.” Nuan said happily. “We don’t know if the other only member is still alive so checking on her may be a good thing.”

Slowly Christof nodded. “The Blackburn house is small and secluded. The female, whether or not alive, will not be used as a puppet. She’s too old and strong for that.”

Nuan grinned and clapped her hands together. “Then it is decided. We shall hunt down the Silver and you shall go, alone I might add to avoid sightings, with Vincent to his old home. There you will wait until we work out which Silver is Lost and point him out for you to kill.”

Christof and Beriko nodded once firmly before giving me a long hard look, waiting for my acceptance. Gently I sighed.

“Vince doesn’t have a choice in this, I guess.”

“No.” Nuan stated with a stiff smile.

“Then I will go along with it.” I mumbled. “What of my maids and Viorel?”

“Viorel will be taken to the Domain for safe keeping and your maids will be there too. All will help us and give a false indication of your current position. It is well known after all that you never leave your house without those four.” Christof explained.

I fidgeted with dislike but remained silent. Taking my maids and Viorel away was a sensible move. They had always been with me, especially Dana, ever since I was found. But even so, being somewhere without them was quite daunting for me.

“We shall go and begin this hunt. Nuan will stay and have a look at the assassin to see if he gives anything away, even if the odds are low.” Christof said then gave me a firm look. “Leave soon Lady. The Silver will act quickly when he works out you know the truth.”

With one last nod, Christof and Beriko left. I briefly saw Dana’s concerned expression as she wordlessly followed them outside. No doubt she wanted to argue about the decision. It was only because it was the Elders who were throwing the orders around that she had remained quiet.

Once they had left and the sound of the car bursting into life could be heard outside, Nuan turned and smiled.

“I thank you for helping Lucius. Is it going well?” She asked.

I nodded. “I have just about finished. One more session and Susan’s Matter will be sealed.”

“A temporary one I hope.”

“It is why it is taking so long.”

“I am glad.” She said with a gentle smile. “Now, I shall go look at this assassin of yours. I will go alone though. I don’t want you down there with me.” She turned and left me alone as she sought out some information on the Silver who was now Lost.

I stood there, mulling over how on earth I was going to tell Vincent he had no choice but to take me to his old home, until I felt a horrible tug in my mind. Alarmed that the parasite was stirring, I sought Vincent out quickly and found him in one of the abandoned rooms. He wasn’t alone either. Lucius was with him.

Worried, I quickly made my way through the house, picking up my pace as the parasite grew rapidly in Vincent’s mind. I was running now, desperate to get to the room before Vincent did something he’d regret. The parasite was now dominant but was waiting, crouching low like a lion in wait. Lucius was speaking in a low calming tone so all I could hear as I neared the door was a deep hum of words. My heart stuttered when suddenly I felt the small slither of patience in Vincent’s mind snap. As the parasite leapt forward, I quickly I grabbed the handle and pushed the door open with my shoulder, just in time to defend Lucius. My mind lashed out and in such speed I didn’t have time to hold back and check my power output. Vincent flew back and hit the wall hard, cracking the wall and shaking the ceiling. I expected him to be knocked unconscious from the horrible crack I heard when his head made contact with the wall but I was half relieved to see him push himself up again, fangs bared in preparation for another attack.

Gently yet roughly, I wrapped my mind around his body, holding him still with some difficulty as he tried to force his body to move forward.

“Lucius, what did you say to him?” I asked sharply as I held Vincent in place firmly.

“I couldn’t understand his anger towards and I don’t think I gave him any reason to hate me so I confronted him about it” He said darkly. They had obviously irritated each other by his sharp tone. “He just grew angrier as we spoke then he snapped.”

Vince growled gently with his focus shifting between myself and Lucius with an almost accusing look. It was odd that that distrustful expression, dark filled and livid, made my heart tighten with sadness. Keeping my attention focused on Vincent’s powerful body, I let another question leave my mouth.

“What was it you spoke of?”

Lucius hesitated lightly before he answered. “You.”

My focus slipped for only a moment from shock but it was long enough for Vincent to break free. He darted forward and his hand roughly arrested my wrist. He tugged me forward into his chest and his arms snaked around me, caging me to him. A growl erupted from his chest and his eyes remained fixated on Lucius; blood thirsty and livid.

Swallowing thickly, I wrapped my mind around his body again and held him still.

“Leave, Lucius. I’ll sort this out.” I told him quietly.

Lucius hesitated, stuck between leaving me alone with Vincent and knowing he was only going to make matters worse. Grudgingly he nodded then very slowly slipped away out of them room, leaving me alone in the arms of the insane man I loved and very nervous of what I was going to find out.