The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 39

A week had gone by since my first feed and, as predicted, it wasn’t my last. Three more time I had fed from Vincent and all had resulted in him going to have a cold shower and refusing to be near me for a few hours. I was feeling the benefit of feeding properly now. I felt far stronger than I could remember and my mind could detect even the tiniest of life forms. At first it unnerved me but I soon worked out how to tune out the smaller essences of live to concentrate on the bigger ones. So far, no one from the Old World had come to the desolate house however I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before the Lost one found me here. I just hoped the Elders got to him before he got to me.

I hadn’t heard anything from my maids and Viorel as Nuan had instructed and I silently worried over Viorel. I fretted to myself about how hard he was working. I knew him to work until he was exhausted and force himself to continue without food or water. I just hoped Dana was keeping a close eye on him for me and ensured he was looking after himself. I also wondered whether Lucius and Susan had returned home okay. Nuan would have ensured they had as she had practically declared to me that she was Lucius’s guardian in his father’s place.

But what worried me the most was the return of my nightmares. Even after a warm shower I still felt eerily cold. I had to force myself to work to get rid of the feeling that time was running out; that the Lost one knew where I was.

So far most of the rooms where now bordered up and where bathed in candle light from the old gas lights the Blackburns hadn’t bothered to upgrade. All broken furniture had been removed and what was left had been cleaned and polished in Elizabeth’s keen enthusiasm to relight the life of this old house. I had seen Vince watching her sometimes with a small smile on his mouth. He wouldn’t admit it but the drunken state she had been in when he first came home worried him. He had expected her to be stronger and run head first through it all as she had always done. And the fact I had helped blow out her rage and redirect it at the real killer of Peter had calmed down his fear of Elizabeth hating him for the rest of their existence. She had returned to the level of love she had always shown him, which wasn’t much. She was bossy, abrupt and snappish. Just like her brother.

I hovered about in the study, cleaning and dusting as I had become quite attached to this room. It being filled with books, it wasn’t really that hard to be. I was alone at first but Elizabeth came trundling in with beer bottle in hand and watched me with narrowed eyes.

Her young physical age still bewildered me and neither sibling had bothered to explain why a 742 year old vampire looked like a twelve year old child. I wasn’t quite sure how to approach the subject without being rude so my confusion had simply remained where it was.

“You sleep okay last night?” Elizabeth asked suddenly.

I jumped a little before I turned to face her. Last night had been her turn to watch over me while Vincent slept although technically she was meant to share a rotor with him even during the daylight hours. She just doesn’t bother to wake him and carries on guarding her home. Every time he’d find himself sleeping, he’d often snarl at her about it but she’d only shrug in reply and ignore him.

“Okay I guess.” I replied hesitantly.

“You guess? You looked like you were having a nightmare or something.” She said accusingly.

I nodded my head once then turned back to dusting. “It was nothing.”

Elizabeth took a swig of her beer then shrugged. I heard her turn to leave and guilt took over me at keeping something so worrying to myself.

“Elizabeth.” I called to her, stopping her in her tracks. “Be on alert. I don’t think we’re safe here anymore.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I just have this feeling.”

She gave me a calculating look and drank some more then scratched her neck. “Have you told Vincent?”

I shook my head and earned a frown.

“He should know. He worries about you enough as it is.” She said in a disapproving tone. “Stupid man is in love with you, I hate to say. And he had always been so careful not to be in contact with the same woman for more than a month.”

“Why?” I asked, solemnly intrigued.

“I told you. We Blackburns believe love makes us weak and stupid. Apart from Peter, anyway. But Vincent only ever used women and never let them get close. And before you ask me why again, love is what brought our grandparents down. And, even though our parents tried to convince each other they hated one another and slept around, they still had three children together and when father was killed, mother died from heart break.” She snorted in disgust then gave me a dark look. “Vincent might actually hate you for falling in love with you.”

I frowned sadly in wrapped my arms around myself in self comfort at the idea Vincent might actually hate me. Noticing she said something that caused me much pain, she tried to back track and wipe the thought from my mind.

“Just tell Vincent about your nightmares. It might anger him but he will appreciate knowing.” She said in a far gentler tone.

I nodded limply but the sudden sadness that had taken hold of me wouldn’t let go. Deciding to let me wallow in my new fears, partly because Elizabeth felt is wasn’t her problem and she felt guilt, Elizabeth left me alone in the large study to seek something else to clean.

At first I just stood there, hugging myself in comfort until I decided I wasn’t going to get much work done. I half heartedly began to clean again but what Elizabeth had said continued to nag me to the point I couldn’t ignore it anymore. I couldn’t ask Vincent as he was out to make sure he didn’t find anything out of the ordinary in the woods and, to be honest, I didn’t have the courage to ask him if he did indeed hate me for falling in love with me. I gave him a weakness and it didn’t surprise me if he did.

In an attempt to take my mind off things, I gave up cleaning and decided to go to my place of solitude outside.

The world outside was in very faint light of dawn and a slight rain that fell gently from the sky. After battling my way through the out of control gardens, I had found the place I had been seeking. In the centre of the once proud rose bushes and beautiful floral displays was a morbid place. The Blackburn graveyard. Neither Vincent or Elizabeth knew I came here in moments of sadness, worry or anxiety. It was a small, gothic place and only a few graves stood here. The Blackburn Clan had always been small, maybe one child every generation, unlike the other Clans which grow larger with every generation of siblings and cousins. Vincent’s generation was the largest by far for this Clan.

I wove my way through the headstones until I found a crude stick. I knew this was to be Peter’s grave having been brought myself here earlier in the week. Elizabeth, in her heartbreak and rage, wouldn’t have had the mind to get someone to cut a true headstone for her brother so she marked it with a simple stick. Flowers which had died recently were left on the old earth, no doubt placed there by Elizabeth.

Without any concern for my jeans, I knelt on my knees in the mud and let my fingers brush the earth that covered Peter’s body in welcome. This had become a routine now. When I was alone and knew Vincent and Elizabeth were busy, I either sat myself down in the room given to me by Elizabeth and wrote in the notebook Viorel had handed to me to gather my thoughts. Sometimes, when I felt the need to go outside, I took myself here instead.

Gently I hummed to myself as I kneeled in front of Peter’s grave. In my head, I mentally told Vincent’s long dead brother of my worries. That I felt the Lost one coming in my nightmares and that Vincent might actually hate me.

In my distracted silence, I felt someone approaching me. At first I didn’t react until I remembered I came here without either Elizabeth or Vincent knowing and shot up onto my feet. I whirled around to find Elizabeth look both angry and meek standing not too far from me.

“Vincent has come home and is looking for you, you know. If he finds out you’re going outside without telling anyone, he’ll get quite angry. Angrier than he already is at not being able to find you.” She said.

I glanced down at the grave and nodded in agreement. Vincent would not be impressed at all if he found out I had been leaving the house on my own with the Lost one trying to find me.

“I will go inside then.”

Elizabeth shuffled her feet then looked very irritated and grabbed my hand as I walked passed her.

“Look, Eva. If you’re worried about what I said, you know about Vincent hating you, ask him about it.” She said stiffly. “I have not seen Vincent in four years and he has changed. He is gentler than he used to be but stronger. You’ve done that to him and, much as I hate to say it, you know him better than I do now. The Vincent I knew was just like me and if I ever fell in love, I’d hate the man for making me fall, but I could be wrong about Vincent. We never let anyone close in the past, and I doubt I ever will, but he has you now and he will lean on you, just like our parents relied on each other even if they tried to hide it.” She grunted roughly. “Those two always shouted at each other but when it came to defending our clan, they fought together without question. They were inseparable. So don’t take his hate to heart.” Elizabeth said sharply, giving me a hard glare.

I gave her a tentative smile. “I will try.”

With a curt nod, Elizabeth turned her gaze up to the lightening sky above. “I should get inside now.” She mumbled then glanced at me. “And you should too.”

Elizabeth turned and sharply walked back through the graveyard, not looking back as she spoke to me still as I pottered after her. “I thank you for paying Peter attention although I have to say you are really soft. He would’ve liked you.”

My smile grew warmer and Elizabeth darted ahead of me to get inside quickly. That and she wished to be away from me now. I could sense her embarrassment at being kind to me and practically apologising for what she had said earlier. Instantly I let my mind branch out to seek Vincent then sped up my pace when I found him hovering in my room. He was agitated and pacing, a sign he was not happy just as Elizabeth had warned.

I flittered silently through the dark house until I came to a stop at the mouth of my room. Instantly I saw Vince who had heard me approach and was now glaring at me.

“So you were outside.” Vince snarled. “I thought you would’ve grown a few brain cells after what happened back at your home. Going outside while being hunted by a Lost one is not the smartest thing to be doing.”

I stepped forward slowly and held his infuriated glare with difficulty. “I only sat outside for a while Vincent and nothing happened.”

“Something could’ve happened and you know that.” He snapped.

I hung my head slightly. I couldn’t argue with him or make my need to just be outside alone to gather my thoughts justifiable so instead I remained silent. For a moment, Vincent just scowled down at me, stewing in his rage before he sensed my sadness. Firmly yet gently he cupped my face and forced me to look at him.

“Just please, please learn to keep yourself safe.” He told me, struggling to keep his voice from taking a snide tone. Before I had time to prepare myself, he lowered his head and pressed his lips gently against mine. I squeaked slightly and pretty much forgot how to breathe. “You have no sense of keeping yourself safe which makes guarding you pretty damn difficult.” He continued to rant angrily between giving me quick kisses that were gradually getting harder. “Will you, for the sake of my sanity and temper, stay indoors until news has arrived?” He demanded sharply.

By the expression on his face I knew saying no was not an option. “I promise.” I said softly.

“Good.” He pressed his mouth once more against my lips, lingering this time before he let me go altogether. “I will be watching over you tonight.”

Vincent nearly left the room but the need to tell him of my nightmares became quite strong and drove me to grab his arm.

“Vince, I need to tell you something.” I started, hesitating when he turned his gaze onto my face, knowing what I was about to tell him was going to make his expression quite angry. “For the past couple of nights I have been having nightmares again. I think the Lost one knows where I am.”

As predicted, a dark furious expression had formed on his face and a growl escaped his throat. “What?” He said in a low tone.

“I am not certain but I feel that he is coming.” I said in a small voice.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Vince demanded.

“Because I wasn’t sure. I thought it was just the nightmares again but last night I felt something that told me he knows where I am. Like eyes watching me.” I told him while trying my best not to let the growing fear get the best of me.

I was expecting Vincent to shout at me again but his hand covered my head and he placed his forehead against mine. I watched him carefully. His eyes were closed but his mouth was frowning firmly, indicating strongly to his anger.

“Can you contact the Elders?”

“I don’t know. I have only ever been able to contact my Silvers from a great distance.” I said softly, closing my eyes and letting my fingers reach up and touch his face. “Even if they knew they can’t do anything. It is down to me in the end and if the Lost one comes to seek me out in person, then I guess it’s for the best.”

Vincent growled and turned his head so my fingers brushed his mouth. “If I can stop you from killing I will, Eva.” He promised.

I smiled weakly before he turned and left me alone. I sighed heavily and shuffled around my room, stripping and dressing as I sensed the day growing stronger outside. I climbed into my bed and curled up under the covers tightly, letting my fingers lightly press against my lips. It was first time Vince had kissed my mouth and a warm giddy feeling was growing in my stomach. But that wonderful feeling was marred when I felt something tug my mind. I response, I reached out and scoured the house and its surroundings. Nothing was there. Frowning, I snuggled down and waited for Vince to return which wasn’t long. He came striding in having checked the house’s locks and threw his jacket on the floor. He sat in a chair not too far from me and took his shoes off, completely oblivious to my stare.

Elizabeth’s words rang in my head once again, having been forgotten by Vincent’s kisses. I wasn’t sure on how to ask him but I needn’t have worried about that when he looked up and saw my hesitant questioning gaze.

“What is it?” He asked.

I shifted nervously under my blanket. “I spoke with Elizabeth and she said something that concerns me.”

There was a pause as I hesitated and Vincent waited. “Which is?” He prodded.

“Do you hate me?”

He expression remained blank until annoyance began to gather strongly. He stood roughly onto his feet and prowled over to my bed. Placing each hand on either side of my head, he leaned down above me and glared at me.

“What has Elizabeth been putting in that gullible head of yours?”

“She told me that you might hate me for falling in love with me.” I said quietly.

He paused in thought before he answered. “Then yes, I guess I do.”

My heart sunk then and I found it quite difficult to breathe. “Oh.” Was all I managed to say.

“Do you want to know why?”

“No, I am okay.” I stammered while trying my hardest to ignore the horrible pain in my stomach.

Vincent however didn’t pay attention to what I said. His fingers latched onto my chin and forced me to look up at him while continued a little irritably. “You give me a weakness, Eva. I care for you like I do no other. I am used to being strong and without anything anyone could use against me. Nobody could put me down with words and nobody could make me worry or act stupidly. But you, you make me scared so easily. I worry for your safety and for your emotional state. I take what you say about me to heart and the fact you accept me completely means so much to me, it’s stupid. I hate that you make me so weak, Eva, and that I need to have you so close to me. ” Hegrowled then pressed a firm kiss against my mouth but this time it wasn’t a short one.

For a long time our mouths moulded together and our tongues stroked, practically robbing me of air and the ability to think, melting my body with a unbearable hunger that consumed me.Vincent kissed me thoroughly and ensured his desire, passion, love and hate for me was put across clearly in his kiss. Eventually he pulled away reluctantly, letting his lips linger on mine softly before he spoke

“Is that clear?” He asked thickly.

Mechanically I nodded while I let my fingers trace his face, trying to ignore the sweet tingling sensation in my swollen lips.

“Good, then move up.” He demanded suddenly.

At first I was confused but I shuffled up all the same. Not pulling the cover back, he sat on the bed beside me and stretched his long legs out as he leaned back comfortably. When I looked up at him with a questioning gaze he sighed sharply.

“I know that the nightmares scare you, Eva. I will stay close to give you some comfort if they wake you.” He explained.

Warmth and love filled me at his irritated comment and I smiled broadly at him which was replied with a scowl. I shuffled close to him and let my head lean on his leg. Silently, I went to sleep with the comforting feeling of Vincent’s fingers brushing through my thick hair while at the same time feeling a strange call in the back of my mind as the sleep came.