Lust For Her Master's Blood

Chapter 12

I waited for a moment once the door had closed behind Lucius before I turned to Arnold with a very firm and questioning look. He replied with a heavy sigh, knowing I was not going to go nor let him leave until I had some answers to a few of the questions that where currently in my head. What had just happened and what was just said in this room was a complete mystery to me and something I needed to know if I was going to protect this house from the wolves who had now declared war against the master.

The elderly man indicated for me to sit while he pottered around another china tea set that was resting on the coffee table untouched. I waited patiently and watched his every move as he poured the liquid into two separate delicate cups and handed one over to me. I sipped quietly, my eyes still not wavering from Arnold as he settled himself on the sofa opposite me, took of a mouthful of tea and then looked up at me.

“I don’t know where to start so ask away Susan.”

“The Mother, who is she?” I asked without hesitating.

“A very old vampire Susan.” He said solemnly. “She is no older than twenty.”

I suddenly let out a hacking cough as I chocked on the tea I had just swallowed. Arnold watched patiently as I cleared my throat and sat slightly at the edge of his seat to come to my aid if I didn’t stop, which in the end was not needed.

“Twe-twenty?” I stammered, still coughing slightly.

That would make the Mother 2,000 years old, a ridiculous age even for a vampire.

Arnold nodded. “She is Lucius’s mother and Alphonse’s grandmother.”

“So why haven’t I met her, or even heard of her.”

“She has been sleeping for the past one hundred years and kept secret under the Masters order's. At her age, life can get quite boring so she sleeps until times change and becomes more interesting. At least for a while anyway. She has her fun for a few years until she grows bored again and goes back to sleep.” Arnold suddenly looked firm and leaned forward. “Listen to me Susan and listen well. The Mother is powerful, not only is she an Ancient but she is a pure blood so no one can match against her when she is alive.”

“Except maybe for Eva.” I muttered as I thought of the deranged white haired vampire.

Arnold thought for a moment then nodded. “Eva would be the only one who could pose as a threat if she wanted to but she is much too soft, she won’t fight her, but that isn’t the point Susan. The point is do not cross her. She won’t think twice of ripping your head off and the Master won’t be able to stop her.”

I remembered what Lucius said before he left and the self-loathing and anger he felt, is still feeling. The emotions of Lucius were faint but still in the back of my mind as the link kept up its duty even while the master slept.

“What do you mean by he can’t stop her?”

“The Master is much too weak compared to the Mother’s strength but that isn’t the only problem. Every member of a pure blood clan cannot disobey the Head, the ruler of the clan. The Master, her most trusted son, looks after the clan while she sleeps but she is the real Head and most powerful of the clan. The Master cannot disobey anything she says and not only that but he cannot kill her. He is physically incapable of killing her in any way. This is why the Mother is not dead. The Master is strong enough to fight off any threats to his mother even though he would very much like to let them rip out her heart and turn her to dust.”

“Sounds familiar.” I said and chewed my lip hard.

“What the Master has done to you is nothing.” Arnold snapped. “He did it for your own safety. If you had run away, the Ancient that had hunted your family down would have found you and killed you. Putting that mark on you was the only way to keep you here, a place where he could protect you and keep you safe. The Master knows what his Mother does, that she kills without thought because it is her version of fun, and he hates that he can not stop her where as the Master has done nothing that causes him to deserve death.”

“All right, all right.” I said and raised my hand in defeat. “I take back what I said.”

Arnold gave me a hard look before he nodded his head and settled down.

“Right, so we have an ancient and slightly vindictive vampire who is the Head of this clan and the cause of a war that has now been declared between the Master and the nearby Pack.” I relayed to him to get this new information straight in my head.

“That is correct.”

“And the Master cannot kill her or disobey her because he is her son and holder of her blood.” Arnold nodded again. “How long do we have until she wakes?”

“Not long I would guess. She normally wakes after one hundred years and it had already been one hundred and fifteen years since she last woke.”

“So what do you suggest we do? Kill her?”

Arnold smiled at me as if what I said was probably the most stupid suggestion in the world which made me slightly irritated. “The Master would only adjust the mark on you so it would stop you from approaching the Mother’s room and anyone else who dares so much as look at the door would have their eyes gouged out.” He sighed heavily and leaned back into his seat. “No, all we can do for the Master is help him fight off the werewolves and then support him when she is awake once again.”

I bit my lip hard, not liking the plan of watching and waiting. If the Mother was as bad as Arnold was making her out to be then the humans living under this roof was probably in danger. I looked up at the butler when he patted my knee in comfort.

“You might as well go get some rest now Susan.” He said with a kind old smile on his face. “You can get back to work this evening if you want to.”

I nodded slowly and gave the empty cup to Arnold’s outstretched hand.

“You can go now, I will sort out the tea.” He said as he clattered the china about and lifted the tray.

I darted ahead of him and opened the door, biding him goodnight as he shuffled out into the over decorated hallway. I watched him leave for a moment and then shut the door and headed towards my bed in the maid dorms in the west wing. I tore my lip to pieces from my rattling nerves at the news of the true clan leader soon to awaken and the proclaimed war of the werewolves. Suddenly the lazy paced days the house used to have had darkened considerably with the hovering cloud of destruction looming over it.

Once I had opened the old oak door of my room and slipped in, I quietly made my way over to my squeaky bed. I glanced at the lumps of Ella and Mo, Sall having been placed in a different room to us, then settled down, smiling gently at the familiar dip in the springs of the bed and dropped to sleep almost instantly.

I knew things where changing, it was quite obvious with that days events, but I didn’t realise how quickly and how dramatically they would and if I did, I would never had let Ella out my sight for a moment.