Status: 7/16/2013: Chapter 10 posted, 11 on Saturday!

An American Rabbit in Japan

Chapter 5

Bunny couldn't get back to sleep. No matter how hard she tried, she just was just laying there. After Ranka left for work she moved into the living room, doing nothing but drumming her fingers on the table. She looked around the house and started to notice that it was a mess.

Ranka must've really been in a hurry to get to work – he left his make-up scattered all over the place.

Bunny sighed then began to clean the house. She started with Ranka's vast make-up collection, since it was spread all over the house.

"Ugh, this is gonna take hours," she said as she scooped up an armful of individual eye shadow pots. Doesn't he know these things come in palettes?

***At the Hitachiin Mansion***

"This would look better!" Hikaru held up a peachy-pink dress with sheer long sleeves. Black lace encircled the dress and sleeves, stopping an inch before the two-tiered ruffled skirt.

"No, this would!" Kaoru held up a sleeveless cornflower-blue dress. The front and back of the dress was pin tucked and the slightly flared skirt was adorned with flowers.

Hikaru snorted in contempt.

"Oh, please, Kaoru. The skirt on that dress is too full! It would completely overwhelm her small frame!"

"That's not true!" shouted Kaoru, defending his choice. "Your dress would completely wash out any color in her face!"

"Oh yeah? Well at least my dress is figure flattering. Yours would give her no shape!"

"Liar!"

"Boys, boys!" interrupted Tamaki, who had been watching them bicker for some time now. "Isn't the point of this to make Bunny happy? If she were here, I'm sure you would have the opposite effect."

"Yeah, true," they grumbled. "Which do you like best, boss?"

"I think that's up to her," he said with a smile. Those dumb doppelgangers—I'm not falling for their trap to help them. The whole fight was a fake, I know it was!

"So, boss," said Hikaru, his dress choice packaged neatly in a brightly colored bag.

"What are you gonna do for Bunny?" asked Kaoru, folding his arms. Tamaki smirked.

"Something more than just give her a couple of dresses. What I'm going to do, money can't buy."

"Oh?" Hikaru and Kaoru exchanged a look.

"Yes, it will be fantastic! Bunny and I will have perfect father/daughter bonding today! We will become inseparable!"

In the Theatre of Tamaki's Mind

Tamaki said something silly, and Bunny leaned her head back and laughed as she never had before as they strolled down a beach together.

"Wow, Tamaki!" she said in surprise, a smile lighting up her face. She pushed a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Haruhi never told me how funny you are!"

"Yes, it's one of my many talents," he said, smiling down at her. "Along with being a kind and caring father." Bunny nodded in agreement.

"Tamaki, I know this may seem weird and all because we just met, but I feel so close to you already! I look up to you as… well… as a father."

"Oh, Bunny!" Tamaki swept her up into a hug, the two of them laughing with joy as he spun her around. "Come on, I'll give you a piggyback ride!"

"Yayyy!"


"Um, boss?" Tamaki was hugging himself, completely smitten with whatever thought was in his head, laughing and drooling slightly. Hikaru looked at Kaoru, then back at Tamaki.

"TAMAKI-SENPAI!" Tamaki snapped out of his daydream.

"Yes?"

"Kyoya-senpai's limo just pulled up," said Kaoru, pointing out the window.

"Oh, then let's go!" He grabbed the two boys by the back of their shirts and dragged out of their house.

"Wait, our dresses for Bunny!"

"There, now it looks presentable." Bunny sighed and rubbed her cheek with the back of her hand. "Whew. What a mess that was." She had just put away the cleaning supplies when she heard a knock on the door.

Bunny froze, slowly and quietly closing the cabinet door. She crawled on her hands and knees to the door, making as little noise as possible.

Please don't be them; please don't be the Host Club, please, please, please…!

She slowly stood up and looked through the peephole.

Dammit!

On the other side of the door stood the boys, this time including Kyoya. She saw the twins clutching two bags and, though she felt suspicious, she also felt slightly curious. She stood there for a moment, debating on whether or not she should let them in. After all, they didn't call, or even say they were coming when she saw them earlier. And she looked like a bit of a mess, with a bandana holding her hair back. Her eyes fell on Honey, and her expression softened.

"You're damn lucky you look like him," she said to herself with a sigh. She took off her rubber gloves and threw them in the sink, then opened the door.

"Bun-ny-chaaaan!" they chorused, "they" meaning "All but Mori and Kyoya." Mori grunted and Kyoya nodded in acknowledgement.

Honey flew off of Mori's shoulders and hugged Bunny, nearly knocking her over.

"We haven't seen you in a loooong time!" he said, smiling up at her.

"It was only a few hours ago," she said with a small laugh. Hikaru, Kaoru, and Tamaki inspected her smile closely, then sighed with relief.

"It's not the one we're looking for," said Tamaki, breathing a sigh of relief. The twins nodded.

"Um, come in," said Bunny, stepping aside.

"Thank you," said Kyoya as the rest of them ran inside. Bunny closed the door after he went in.

"Wow," said Honey, in awe. "I've never seen Haru-chan's home so clean before." Bunny laughed.

"I couldn't sleep when we got back, so I cleaned up." They all stared at the place with their mouths open; even Kyoya seemed a bit impressed. He scribbled something down. Bunny scratched the back of her head, a little uncomfortable at their reaction. "It's no big deal. Ranka left a complete mess after he left, so I cleaned up a bit."

"Oh, Bunny, how sweet of you!" said Tamaki, throwing his arms around her. "And you look so adorable with the cloth in your hair! You look just like a little bunny rabbit!" Suddenly, a funny look came across his face, as if something had possibly managed to click in his brain. "Bunny, what did you say you last name is?"

"Lapin. Why?"

Tamaki stared blankly at her for a moment then burst out laughing.

"Really? Are you serious? That's amazing! And your first name is Bunny—" Tamaki couldn't stop laughing. Bunny didn't find this amusing.

"What's so funny?" asked Honey.

"We don't get it," said Hikaru and Kaoru.

Mori tilted his head to the side.

Bunny sighed.

"'Lapin' is French for 'rabbit'."

They stared at her, then fell to the floor with laughter.

"Are you serious?" asked Hikaru.

"Haha, your name- your name is- Bunny Rabbit! Hee hee hee!" Kaoru rolled over, clutching his side. "Oh, that's so rich!"

Honey couldn't speak, he was laughing so hard. He just rolled around, giggling.

Bunny dryly looked up at Mori. He looked away from her as he smiled. Even Kyoya couldn't suppress a chuckle.

"And you brother's name is Peter, correct?" he asked, pushing up his glasses.

"Yup. Peter Rabbit and Bunny Rabbit. My mom thought it'd be hilarious."

"I must admit I agree with her."

A sour look passed over Bunny's face, but it had appeared and disappeared so quickly it was as if they had only imagined it. Kyoya raised an eyebrow and made a note of it.

"Oh, Bunny," said Kaoru. "There's something black on your cheek."

"Oh? It's probably just make-up. I need something to wipe it off with…." The twins and Tamaki exchanged glances.

"HERE, BUNNY, TAKE MY HANDKERCHIEF!" They scrambled to pull theirs out of their pockets and hand one to her, but they kept fumbling over each other. Bunny, Honey, Kyoya, and Mori stared at them in exasperation. Finally, Hikaru shoved Tamaki's head down and Kaoru handed his to Bunny, smiling courteously.

"Here you go, Milady." Bunny stared blankly at them, but took it.

"Um, thank you…." She scrubbed her cheek, but couldn't seem to get it.

"Here; let me," Kaoru said. He took the piece of cloth and gently wiped her face. He should have also wiped away the sweat drop that appeared on the side of Bunny's head.

"Yeah, thanks…." She hoped that no one could see the slight flush that lingered after the black mark.

"Hey, Bunny, we brought you something," Hikaru said, bringing the attention to himself. He held up his bag before Kaoru had a chance to get his.

"Oh, thanks," she said, slightly surprised. He handed it to her.

"Go on, open it!" She did, and pulled the light colored dress out of the bag.

"Um…"

"It's one of the new dresses from our mother's newest collection," he said, a smirk on his face.

"Bunny-chan, you should go try it on!" Honey's eyes sparkled as he looked at the dress. Tamaki and the twins nodded their heads enthusiastically in agreement. Bunny had that "deer in the headlights" look.

"Uh, wha—?"

"Come on, Bunny!" said Tamaki. "Model it for us!"

"But—"

"Model! Model! Model! Model!" shouted Hikaru and Kaoru. Bunny gave out one last cry of protest as they threw her into Haruhi's room, slamming the door behind her.

Inside, Bunny stood there, slightly dumbfounded. Then she shrugged her shoulders.

"I guess it couldn't hurt." She quickly took off her clothes and slid the dress over her head, fastening the button on the back. She was shocked at how well the dress fit. While she was there, she removed the bandana from her hair and quickly ran a brush through it.

"Guys, how did you know my size?" she asked as she stepped out of the room. When she looked up, she noticed that the lights were all off. "Guys?" She felt her way into the living room, where a spotlight suddenly illuminated her.

"Here comes Bunny Lapin!" announced Kaoru into a microphone (Where the hell did they get that and a spotlight?). Hikaru appeared by her side, making her loop her arm through his as they walked down the catwalk that had also suddenly appeared. "Escorted by Hikaru Hitachiin, wearing one of the pieces from the newest Hitachiin Summer Collection!"

What the hell?

As they walked down to the end of the catwalk, Bunny could barely make out the rest of the boys through the glare of the spotlight. Honey and Tamaki were cheering loudly, even though it was unnecessary.

"Ladies, this is an essential piece to your own summer collection! This light peach dream brings a fresh flush to any maiden's cheek. The lace details on the bodice create the illusion of curves or accentuate your own." As Kaoru spoke, Hikaru motioned towards the details that he described. His hand brushed against Bunny's waist, causing her to flinch slightly. "The ruffled skirt adds volume where you may be lacking it." A look from both of the boys told Bunny that this statement wasn't directed at her. Her eyes widened in shock and slight embarrassment. "The keyhole style fastening on the back adds a sexy touch to this otherwise innocent and flirty piece." Hikaru pulled a hair clip out of nowhere and swept Bunny's hair up and away, exposing the fastening. Bunny felt a crimson blush creep up her neck and onto her face.

"The next one!" shouted Tamaki. "Daddy wants to see the next one!" Once again, before she had time to object she was shoved into Haruhi's room (which had a sign hanging on it that read "Dressing Room") with a bag in her hand.

She grumbled to herself as she pulled the next dress on, not even bothering to look at it. She stepped out of the room once she finished and was greeted by Kaoru this time. He smiled at her and offered his arm. With a half-sarcastic smile, she took his arm and once again strolled down the catwalk. Hikaru now played the role of announcer.

"The only thing bluer than this dress is the summer sky itself! This piece, also from the new Summer Collection, has a more formal feel to it than its predecessor. The flirty flare of the skirt creates a silhouette that is flattering on any body type." Kaoru gestured gracefully towards the hem of the skirt. "The flowers replicate the very ones that are blooming in the open meadows; don't just carry a piece of summer, wear it!"

I thought flowers bloomed in spring…. Bunny kept this to herself, not wanting to spoil their fun. The gleam in their eyes made her giggle.

But she had to admit, she was having a bit of fun, too.

"Okay, show's over," said Kyoya. All of the lights turned on, and Bunny analyzed the room. The spotlight had been a lamp that Mori held above their heads and the catwalk was made of the few tables in the apartment pushed together.

The microphone was real, though. Hikaru tossed it to Tamaki, who tucked it inside his jacket after turning it off. Bunny raised an eyebrow, but held her tongue.

"Well, that was…."

They crowded around her, waiting for her to finish her sentence. In the background, Kyoya was telling Mori where to put the tables back.

"…quite fun, actually." Bunny looked up at them and smiled. Tamaki panicked for a moment, but saw in her eyes that she was holding back a little bit. Even though this meant he hadn't lost yet, it made him feel unhappy.

"Hey, Bunny!" he said. She turned to him, raising her eyebrows to show that she was listening.

"Yes?" She ignored Hikaru and Kaoru as they messed with the dress, adjusting the hem and lightly tugging on the flowers.

"I have something for you, too," he said, smiling.

"Oh? Will you two cut it out?" She impatiently swatted their hands away after it became clear they were only trying to annoy her; they succeeded. "What is it?"

"I can't give it to you. I have to show it to you. It's something that money can't buy." He stuck his tongue out at Hikaru and Kaoru, who were doing the same thing behind Bunny's back. She quickly turned around, but they stopped before she could see and put their hands behind their backs, whistling innocently. She rolled her eyes and turned back around.

"Oh really? Why am I suspicious?" she said, raising an eyebrow.

"Aww, don't be like that, Bunny!" said Kaoru.

"Yeah, I'm sure Boss has something really great planned," said Hikaru. They turned to see Tamaki in his sulking. For the first time, Bunny was the one to comfort him.

"Aw, come on, Tamaki," she said soothingly, placing an arm around his shoulder. "I'm sure it really is great. Don't listen to those grumpy old twins." She stuck her tongue out at them while Tamaki had his back turned.

That's for using me as your personal Barbie without my permission.

"Besides, I'm flattered that you would do something for me. It doesn't matter what it is, I'm sure I'll like it anyway."

Tamaki sniffed.

"R-really?" He tearfully looked up at Bunny. She smiled warmly at him.

"Really." She stood up and held her hand out to him. He smiled back at her and took it.

"Gentlemen, I believe we just witnessed the beginning of a very close friendship," Kyoya said.

"Who are you talking to, Kyo-chan?" Honey looked up at Kyoya, looking slightly confused.

"No one in particular," Kyoya said, smirking as he pushed up his glasses.
♠ ♠ ♠
School is back in, so I'm really busy :P Sorry that I won't be able to update regularly T_T
But tell me what you think! If you have any suggestions, or questions, or any thoughts, just leave a comment! :)