Status: Completed

You Are the Best One, of the Best Ones

The Beginning.

June 2nd, 1998.

The seven-year old boy walked along the coastline. He sighed angrily, wondering why he couldn’t ever go somewhere. Why he had to stay in one place while everyone else sped by on life, one new person, one new friend, gone the next day, or the day after, or the week after. He kicked a seashell, and it flew into the ocean. A half a second of pride caught him as he watched it skip, skip, skip along, but then it hit a wave and sank.

Just like his friendships. Skip along for a while, and then, nothing.

“James!” he heard. He turned around to see his mother, blonde and tan and pretty in her new sundress, waving at him. “I’ve made the cookies! Come in when you want them, dear.” She turned around and walked off the sand, into the hotel she owned and managed with her husband. James stared after her. He wanted those cookies. But he also wanted to run away. Run away and become a pirate! He grinned, his imagination placing him on a boat in a Pirates of the Caribbean-esque scene. “Argg!” he said, waving his imaginary sword in the air.

A soft giggle cut through the air.

James whirled around, his day dream gone in a swirl. Before him stood a little brown haired girl that looked to be about his age. “What’s so funny?” he asked defensively.

She smiled softly. “I dunno.” She bent down to pick up a seashell. She straightened up and handed it to him. “Here. This one is pretty. I’m Lia. Will you be my new friend?”

James stared at her. He always liked having new friends. And maybe this one would turn out better than the others. Maybe her parents would let her eat cookies with him! “Okay!” he yelled. “My mommy made cookies. You wanna eat some with me?”

“Sure!” she chirped.

James grabbed her hand, and they ran off the beach, laughing all the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is only going to be three chapters or so, I could've made it a oneshot, but I kind of wanted to do it like this, like little chapters. They're both seven in this, by the by.

Comment? Sub?
--Kat.